September 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 9 September 2009 at 5:36PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 73.6K views

Replies

• meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spent €64.01 in Lidl to-day and €5.99 on potatoes, so €70 altogether, adding up to a total spend of €233.13...will need to be careful now as I tend to go mad when I think I have lots of money left for rest of month, will just stay out of shops, OH will buy milk or bread as instructed without going further.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a NSD today, and made soup that'll last a few days.Got lots in freezer n cupboards to last till end of month, and having pasta n salad for tea tonight:D:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Ninno820 wrote: »
    Wow - talk about rubber chicken!

I took the £2 chicken from Mr T's and first removed the skin (I am on a diet and not allowed skin). Then - with a little water in the bottom and a lemon quartered in the cavity - I put it in the slow cooker for 6 hours on low.

I took all the meat off - at least 6 portions - and froze it in portions. Then I put the chicken back in the slow cooker - topped up with more water and added an onion and several carrots - and left the slow cooker on low overnight.

Result - 2 1/2 pints of beautiful chicken broth - complete with the carrots and onion plus the extra chicken bits that didn't come off the first time - ready to make soups with.

Now I know that most of you will be saying yeah - we do that already but I wanted to share my excitement with you and say thanks for all your inspiration.
    hiya - Did you eat the veg or discard it? I know to make stock ppl sometimes cook the beg for the nutirnets then discard and make soup from the remaining stock.
    Thanks and GO YOU lol xx
  • Mrs T - I have kept the veg with one portion of the stock - ready to make lettuce soup (don't laugh - its yummy). I figure that it will all get blitzed up anyway so why throw it away.

4 days into this week I still have £13.50 left - I am REALLY impressed with myself and loving the challenge.
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • fedupandskintfedupandskint Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fedup&skint - the pasta, salmon, peppers and cream will go well together. I would save the cheese to go with something else.

Made it for tea with a lot of chopped onion and garlic and black pepper and it was v.nice indeed.

A good way to use up the Mr T's frozen salmon fillets in the freezer which I do not like on their own. 3 left now to use up and will not buy any more of these. However, I am pleased I have used some some frozen chopped peppers and salmon and slightly OOD double cream (which was fine and not gone off).

Just need to work out tomorrows food now! Will do this early as I need to buy some more milk and I don't want to cave in and buy a lot of things I don't need
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cw18 wrote: »
    B

He seems to think a week is a reasonable amount of time between buying the 2 litre tubs of this, as he works it out as a daily spend of 'just' 14p+. But looking at it as a percentage of my daily 'per person' budget (if bought once a week it's 7.9% of my original budget, 8.6% of my current budget, and 9.1% of where I'm considering dropping it to!) I try and make it at least 10 days between purchases !!! (Tomorrow's 10 days since last bought, but I shouldn't need A1di for anything else - so may make him wait until Thursday ;) )

Impressed by your stats! :T If it's only 14p per day then can't DS afford to buy his own ice cream??
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess he could - but I've chosen not to quibble on this one as he buys college lunches (3 days a week) out of his EMA money, which probably explains how come I've managed to reduce my annual GC budget ;)
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
    Grocery Budget : 2021 £1825. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
  • MonikerMoniker Forumite
    626 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    Hi folks

Have finally caught up with the posts. Life has been overtaking me recently (in a good way though). DD2 is getting married in about 2 weeks and prospective SIL has got a new job in Winchester starting on Monday! (If any of you know of reasonable accommodation in or near Winchester to rent please pm me!)

They came to visit at the weekend to meet the caterer for the part of the wedding that's happening here (they are having a civil ceremony followed by a blessing and the first part is in Birmingham - not on the same day though!) Anyway I cooked a boned shoulder of lamb in the sc - I stuffed it with some wilted chard from my veg garden mixed with a bit of onion, a few mushrooms and herbs and breadcrumbs. It was delicious and fell apart (I cooked it for too long though as I forgot the piece of lamb weighed less than a kilo). I managed to save about 75gms of the meat and stuffing and made a 'shepherdess' pie (so called because there was very little meat in it!) by adding a grated carrot, half an onion and a few handfuls of oats to the chopped meat. With the left over gravy from the pot roast and some Worcester sauce to flavour it - tasted really yummy and my DH complimented me on it!

We had a cannelloni from the freezer tonight that I made in the hols - glad I did that batch baking back in August. I have another week to go before I declare and about £40 left so I am reasonably confident of coming in on budget (hope those are not famous last words!)

I am struggling a bit now I am back at work to find stuff that my DH (who doesn't cook at all) can manage when I am not here as we don't do ready meals unless home made. I guess he will have to do himself beans on toast when I am working late and he has to go out in the evening!

DD2 and fiance will be staying on Friday en route to look at flats to rent and so I will be making fish cakes. I had some haddock in the freezer and will make extra mashed potato tomorrow to use in the fishcakes. I am feeling quite pleased that I have catered for these extras without buying any more food but just basically using what I have in the house.

Well enough rambling. Off to watch tv - Gavin Malone and the choir later - now he really is tasty!

Moniker
  • JulimkJulimk Forumite
    349 Posts
    I’ve had a couple of NSDs, which is just as well as I declared on Sunday & don’t get paid until tomorrow! I had to buy petrol yesterday, as the light came on 10 miles away from home on Sunday when I was getting DD back from her Dad’s But today has been a complete NSD in all respects, nada, zilch!

Tomorrow will be an expensive day as the car tax is due this month & I have to pay for the buildings insurance, which is payable annually to the management company. But after working on my grocery list for a couple of days I am happy with it & guide price of c£67 is well below the £75 budget for the monthly big shop (based on half the month’s budget). That’ll leave me £25 for each of three week’s top up shops, which should be plenty.

The list is fairly flexible, as there are only a few bits I actually need sooner rather than later, this first shop is more about stocking up for the month. So if any of the items on offer are not available they can be left for now unless there is an alternative equally good offer.

My carpets are a bit of a state but having done a bit of research it seems that as the stains are mostly water based they can be cleaned with a solution of washing up liquid & water & then rinsed with white vinegar. Much cheaper than the carpet cleaning sprays you can get! And Mum has said I can borrow her Vac carpet cleaner & told me where I can get the cleaning solution for it the cheap. So that’ll save a few bob over getting them professionally cleaned or replacing them!
  • Mrs_Money_PennyMrs_Money_Penny Forumite
    957 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Just popping in to add a further £41.94 to my spending total. Just need to do a short list to cover the weekend.
    Good luck everyone.
    £44752.79/savings £40892.30
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News