🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Diesel vs Petrol

Options

Comments

• Chris_VRS
    Chris_VRS Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    diesel over petrol for me everytime!
    New car (not even 2months old) up for sale:-

Ford Focus Sport 1.8TDCi 5dr '06' plate
    Sea Grey
    2600miles
    P.M for more details
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re long service intervals. There's nothing clever about them at all.
    Best advice out there is to change the oil more frequently than recommended. It doesn't matter how advanced the oil is, it will fill up with partially combusted particles and this then turns into a grinding paste that causes engine wear. High mileage engines with regular oil changes have less wear than low mileage engines run on old oil.

Economy wise there is a reasonable argument for Diesel.

Performance wise, the outright acceleration performance only depends on power to weight ratio. Peak torque figure doesn't make any difference, except for delivery style. I'm not making this up, I've spent many hours looking into the physics of it. Diesel owners are always going on about the torque output of their engines.
    Due to an accident I was forced to change from a 1.8 Auto using £3120 of petrol per year. My fuel costs alone have been reduced by a massive £2080 per year as I have changed to a Diesel vehicle.
    You've saved 2/3 by going to Diesel. I doubt that that's due to fuel change alone. Auto boxes are inefficient; it also depends on vehicle size, weight and condition.
    Happy chappy
  • roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Options
    Just to clear up some strange beliefs about diesel.

Using Veg oil is illegal expect a £500 on ths spot fine unless your registered with H&M Customs and excise.

Service is between 10000 miles and 20000. mines had 3 services its one 50 000 i challenge a petrol car to do that.

to me the less trips to the petrol stations sold me on the economy and driven very carefully you can get miles and miles and miles out of one tank.

The other thing with a TD is put your foot down and you still get good miles to gallon ratio :-) Sold
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Service is between 10000 miles and 20000. mines had 3 services its one 50 000 i challenge a petrol car to do that.
    I don't see any reason why a petrol engine requires more servicing than a diesel. I'm DIY anyway so I don't care.
    The retention of mpg even with right foot down is a very good argument for Diesel.
    Happy chappy
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    roswell wrote:
    I may be a diesel devotee but most modern engines with modern oils seem to cope OK with being abused. I got my old Montego petrol with 24K on the clock and sold it several years later with 84K on the clock (I think) and it only got serviced once (just before I sold it) ... never gave me a days problem.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That really is awful! Just goes to show why low mileage is meaningless.
    Happy chappy
  • speedtwin
    speedtwin Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    ive got a 406 diesel and use to do about 35miles a day, i have now changed job and work 1 mile from home. would it be better to change to petrol or is it just as bad for a diesel as petrol for short distance driving?
    O
  • steve!_10
    steve!_10 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    1 mile? You should walk.
  • speedtwin
    speedtwin Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah I Know Should But I`m A Letting Agent But I Have To Go To Bank Once A Day And View Houses Sometimes (all In A 3 Miles Radius)
    O
  • Jorgan_2
    Jorgan_2 Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    Options
    Diesels are usually better for shortertrips, start/stop driving, on of the reasons the taxi boys use them.

You need to look at the whole picture before deciding whether to change. Servicing costs may be more expensive on a diesel than a comaprative diesel to petrol engined vehicle. Purchase price of petrol cars tend to be lower than their equivilant diesel model.

A friend of mine was selling a BMW X5 3.0 petrol recently, had loads of people turn up to view, all liked it but were put off by the fuel consumption. He was having a whine about being left with a lemon he couldn't sell, did a quick check on a comparable 3.0d and they were about £3000 more expensive. Pointed out to my mate that at the moment that buys 3000 litres of petrol, he used this with the viewer & they bought the car, once they worked out they would take about 4 years to use this amount of fuel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport