We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Diesel vs Petrol

Options

Comments

• albacore1854
    Options
    Why bother with petrol !!

Audi A4 170PS, will return 50mpg on a run, and I've had 140 on the clock.

0-60 is ok, and she'll still lift the bonnet if you put your foot down at a ton
    Most people overlook opportunity as it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work.
  • Murielson
    Murielson Posts: 269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Very interesting thread and my first addition is a question - if it is covered elsewhere please steer me to it and Mods maybe move this post as required:

I do a 75 mile each way commute Mon to Fri A303, M3, M25. Am now looking at changing my 1.8 Mondeo petrol workhorse that has given sterling service for the last 10 years to the most economical replacement.

What would you replace it with and why? Petrol, diesel, LPG etc.
  • albacore1854
    Options
    3 year old 1.9 tdi passat.Its had its depreciation,and is a good solid workhorse
    Most people overlook opportunity as it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work.
  • onehitwonder
    Options
    I am looking to buy a used car for about £6,000. I have been looking at the Picasso 2.0 diesel, about 3 years old.
    I only do about 7000 miles a year and 80% of that is driving around town.

Do you think I do too little, urban driving to justify buying a diesel?

Thanks.
    Debts: Virgin Card [STRIKE]£5,600[/STRIKE] £5,636, First Direct [STRIKE]£7,700[/STRIKE] £7,000, Halifax [STRIKE]£3,200[/STRIKE] £3,810, Halifax Clarity [STRIKE]£755[/STRIKE] £711, Tesco [STRIKE]£4,005[/STRIKE] £4,450, MNBA [STRIKE]£6,700[/STRIKE] £6,580, Loan [STRIKE]£15,834[/STRIKE] £15,218 Total: [STRIKE](45K at highest) £43,794k[/STRIKE] £43,405
  • Need_More_Money_2
    Options
    I am looking to buy a used car for about £6,000. I have been looking at the Picasso 2.0 diesel, about 3 years old.
    I only do about 7000 miles a year and 80% of that is driving around town.

Do you think I do too little, urban driving to justify buying a diesel?

Thanks.

Depends how much extra you are paying for the diesel car compared to a petrol car
  • onehitwonder
    Options
    As far as I can see the 2.00 diesel is about the same price as the 1.6 petrol. So not a lot more.
    Although I Admit I know nothing about cars so not sure what the main difference between the 1.6 and 2.00 is. :)
    Debts: Virgin Card [STRIKE]£5,600[/STRIKE] £5,636, First Direct [STRIKE]£7,700[/STRIKE] £7,000, Halifax [STRIKE]£3,200[/STRIKE] £3,810, Halifax Clarity [STRIKE]£755[/STRIKE] £711, Tesco [STRIKE]£4,005[/STRIKE] £4,450, MNBA [STRIKE]£6,700[/STRIKE] £6,580, Loan [STRIKE]£15,834[/STRIKE] £15,218 Total: [STRIKE](45K at highest) £43,794k[/STRIKE] £43,405
  • Need_More_Money_2
    Options
    As far as I can see the 2.00 diesel is about the same price as the 1.6 petrol. So not a lot more.
    Although I Admit I know nothing about cars so not sure what the main difference between the 1.6 and 2.00 is. :)

I'm assuming you are referring to engine size so the diesel is 2 litre and the petrol 1.6l. So you have a bigger more powerful engine in the diesel. DOes it have turbo.
    You will save money in terms on mpg in the diesel. The quesion about how many miles you do is usually related to whether you save enough to justify paying more for the diesel in the first place
  • rogerbanana
    Options
    something i have been doing for over twelve months now in my vw touran auto, is diluting the diesel with tesco cooking oil (£1-85 for three litres) and it works a treat.
    make the mix no more than 50-50 and save some dosh! if you really want to be honest, get a customs and excise form and declare your useing oil as a road fuel and pay 21p tax on each litre . mind you, you have to say how much you have used that month.....
  • rogerbanana
    Options
    as a matter of interest, my vw 2litre auto touran has a dial which shows the mpg . this is plus or minus 7% according to vw, and with my foot off the pedal it shows 75mpg at 30 mph. i know this isnt realistic motoring, but the overall consumption is impressive.
  • apk1
    apk1 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    another factor to consider which i don't think has been mentioned, if you take the car abroad diesel is a lot cheaper -70p v 90p for unleaded, I do 5-6000 miles pa in france and so its much better for me.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure