We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Diesel vs Petrol

Options

Comments

• edde
    edde Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    lellie wrote: »
    my pug 307 diesel has a 12000 mile or 2 year servicing gap. i challenge you to find a petrol car with a 2 year servicing gap!!!

also, try driving a petrol up a hill, the diesel will kick its !!! any day, more torque!
    Loads of cars both petrol and diesel have 2 year service intervals.
  • Locoblade
    Options
    The argument for/against diesels really does depend what cars you decide to draw comparison with. Like for like (ie same car but with petrol or diesel engine), diesels are often a good 30-50% more fuel efficient than their petrol equivalent. Obviously thats not always the case and there are certainly some manufacturers out there who seem to offer diesles that aren't a whole lot more efficient than their petrol counterparts, but if you pick the right car, a diesel will still work out significantly more economical over about 10k anual mileage, despite the higher fuel costs.

My car for example, a Seat Leon Cupra, its a 1.8 Turbo petrol and does about 30mpg if I nanny it around, maybe 32-34mpg tops on a gentle motorway cruise. A friend of mine has a 150bhp diesel Cupra which is almost as quick, yet that can get well over 50mpg on a motorway run, and around 45-50mpg with most day-to-day driving. Likewise the car Im considering getting next, a BMW 1 series, the 120i petrol struggles to get 30mpg judging by many real world comments, yet the quicker 120d returns at least 45mpg if not higher, so again a 50% improvement. This works out at about £700 saving in fuel per year compared to my current Leon or a 120i.

The other reason Im going to get a diesel is because for the type of driving I do, with the right car I honestly think it will be more fun. Thats because to get more than 25mpg from my Cupra on the type of roads I drive to/from work, I have to drive like a penny pinching taxi driver, constantly changing up at the lowest suitable revs and pootling along, not necessarily slowly, but not accelerating hard or extending the car in any way. With a diesel I can drive with a little more vigour and still get 40+mpg, but if I decide that's not good enough, I can revert to economy mode and get 45-50mpg as required.

I still prefer driving a petrol for the power delivery, but some (not all) modern diesels now drive a lot more like a turbocharged petrol than they used to, so they can still be fun. The popular VW/Audi engines still seem to be very much old school in their power delivery though from what Ive experienced, with a big slug of torque as the turbo kicks in followed by a tailing off as the revs rise, which feels fast initially but ultimately is very unsatisfying to drive. The BMW 2.0d engine in comparison revs a lot more freely and pulls to the red line which is one of the reasons Im going for the 1 series over a 170bhp TDi Golf or Audi A3.
    My Excel Mortgage Calculator Spreadsheet: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1157173
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    lellie wrote: »
    my pug 307 diesel has a 12000 mile or 2 year servicing gap. i challenge you to find a petrol car with a 2 year servicing gap!!!

also, try driving a petrol up a hill, the diesel will kick its !!! any day, more torque!

Dragging this up from 3 years ago, but near enough all petrol cars have 2 year servicing intervals...
  • big_gay_kirk
    Options
    ajfox wrote: »
    I hope diesel is dead - see this weblink: http://www.ecotravel.org.uk/fuels_5.html Everyone thinks diesel is green but it isn't very green when it comes to NOx and particulates!

choosing between diesel and petrol on environmental grounds is rather like choosing between whether to die of lung cancer or skin cancer.... its like the con job they did persuading people to switch from leader to unleaded... saved the fuel companies millions, made a lot of people feel warm and squishy, and did absolutely nothing good for the environment.. just swapped tetra ethyl lead and brain damage for benzenes and lung complaints and cancers....
  • vix11_2
    Options
    I'm looking to get a car to do a 25 mile round trip a 3-4 days a week to my PT job [BTW I do have a FT daytime job]. So that's less than 6k a year inc any extra SDP use of the car.

I worked out:

eg yaris diesel is on average 1k more than petrol equivilant. Just counting the difference in road tax (assuming the tax for pet/deisel eqivilants rise in the same way as I believe, therefore not worth accounting for) the difference over a four year period is £340. So £1k/4 = £250 so just in RT I get £90 in my pocket and I've not inc mpg, but thats not much considering the miles I do anyway. Yet I have assumed the service would be not much higher and I have not calculated for supposedly higher price of repars/maintanence of diesels so I'm !!!!!!ed if I have to replace/repair those diesel specific parts!

Am on the right tracks here and is it really worth it for my situation? I am also only looking at two models. after extensive research I narrowed it to a corsa or yaris - ones cheaply maintained the other supposedly reliable hence less maintenece. I know this is true of petrol but please do also correct me for diesels.

This is a great thread, so much info. I am def convinced into buying diesel had I had much more of a longer journey to do annually, but of course my situation is different which is why I am confussed!:confused:
  • Garetha
    Garetha Posts: 981 Forumite
    Options
    I believe the running cost advantage of diesel are over unless you do a high mileage. 6k miles is not high.

There are few other reasons to go diesel.

ps: I see I said the same thing on this thread in July - sorry for repetition!
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Been using bio fuel in our diesel corsa (P reg) and get about 60mpg normally at 10 to 15p per litre saving so very worth while. Not all diesels can use it though so check with manufacturer before using. This biofuel uses recycled cooking oil with an additive to stop coagulation in cold weather. Having said this my daughters Aygo/107/c1 does 60plus mpg with a tax currently at £35 (this was due to go down next year) so not sure which way to go if/when we need to change in the future.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • bclark
    bclark Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    ajfox wrote: »
    I hope diesel is dead - see this weblink: http://www.ecotravel.org.uk/fuels_5.html Everyone thinks diesel is green but it isn't very green when it comes to NOx and particulates! I own a BMW525D and can only get 30mpg on B roads - I also have a Nissan xtrail petrol - same weight as the BMW but ever so slightly less slippery through the air but I still get the same mpg! In real world driving, diesels don't offer a vast improvement over petrol and looking at this website: http://www.petrolprices.com/ A diesel needs to be at least 15% better in terms of mpg (real world mpg that is) in order to make the purchase worth while. This is only true if the diesel car has the same purchase price as the petrol.
    Nice logic. So you are disappointed in Diesel because you only get 30mpg out of your hefty BMW X5? What consumption do you think that you would get out of its petrol equivalent :rolleyes:
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    vix11 wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a car to do a 25 mile round trip a 3-4 days a week to my PT job [BTW I do have a FT daytime job]. So that's less than 6k a year inc any extra SDP use of the car.

I worked out:

eg yaris diesel is on average 1k more than petrol equivilant. Just counting the difference in road tax (assuming the tax for pet/deisel eqivilants rise in the same way as I believe, therefore not worth accounting for) the difference over a four year period is £340. So £1k/4 = £250 so just in RT I get £90 in my pocket and I've not inc mpg, but thats not much considering the miles I do anyway. Yet I have assumed the service would be not much higher and I have not calculated for supposedly higher price of repars/maintanence of diesels so I'm !!!!!!ed if I have to replace/repair those diesel specific parts!

Am on the right tracks here and is it really worth it for my situation? I am also only looking at two models. after extensive research I narrowed it to a corsa or yaris - ones cheaply maintained the other supposedly reliable hence less maintenece. I know this is true of petrol but please do also correct me for diesels.

This is a great thread, so much info. I am def convinced into buying diesel had I had much more of a longer journey to do annually, but of course my situation is different which is why I am confussed!:confused:

If I was in your shoes I would stick with petrol. A better car to drive, less problems with maintenance, cheaper if things start to go wrong.

But the fact that the car is easier to drive would swing it for me. Money isn't everything you have to live with the beast...:)
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would rather gnaw my own legs off then drive a diesel.
    Horrid things the only diesel that I thought was actually worth having cost 32K and over 40K by the time i had gone through the options, saving a few quid isnt enough motivation to get an oil burner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure