Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Used postage stamps - who wants some? MERGED

Options

Comments

• gareth_aethwy
    Options
    Princessa wrote: »
    When I look on the sites, it says that they sell the stamps to collectors... so is it worth sending everyday stamps, or are they only after ones with some sort of picture on?

NO! There are some collectors who only collect definatives (the common ones witht he Queen's head on), some only collecting the boring (to me) 1st and 2nd class stamps. Also, they're sold all over the world these days, and a common UK stamp isn't quite so common abroad is it?

I collect stamps for the local St John Ambulance Division (more info: http://www.stjohnwales.org.uk) to use towards the purchase of a new ambulance (quite a few needed there then!). If anyone does want to help me, they're more than welcome to contact me (or post on here) and I'll let you have the address where to send them!

We're also collecting used specs to send to the St John Eye Hospital in Jerusalem (more info: http://www.stjohneyehospital.org), again, contact me and I'll let you know where to post to.

Gareth
  • suzukibandit
    Options
    Oxfam collect, and sell, stamps. I give mine to my local Oxfam shop in Banbury. They are happy to receive "normal" stamps as well as unusual and they sell first day covers as well for collectors.
  • ardley216
    Options
    Where would i be able to buy kiloware stamps? i would like to help out charities.
  • ardley216
    Options
    hello, can anyone pm me on how to buy charity stamps? i would like to help out charaties
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've merged two similar threads, and posts appear in order of first posting, but I hope it's not too disjointed.

ardley, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but if you look through previous posts there are various mentions of who buys these stamps so that may help you find where to buy.

Sadly, DH's charity has now decided that the returns on collecting used stamps are no longer worthwhile. Hopefully we can take them to someone who has a notice up at our gym - it will take me a long time to get out of the habit of 'rescuing' all stamps!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sunstarrr
    sunstarrr Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    If (like me!) you find it difficult to choose which charity to send your stamps to, the Post Office have a freepost address to which you can send your used stamps. They then distribute the stamps to a variety of charities, including RSPB, Great Ormond St Hospital Children's Charity, Macmillan Cancer Support and RNIB.

The address to send stamps to is
    Posted! Stamps for Charities
    Education Distribution Service
    FREEPOST FPN 772
    Castle Road
    Sittingbourne
    Kent
    ME10 3RL
  • icedgems
    Options
    the childrens charity Barnardos are very happy to take them

Send to

Gemma
    Barnardos
    Tanners Lane
    Barkingside
    Ilford
    Essex
    IG6 1QG

:A
  • shezmit
    shezmit Posts: 781 Forumite
    Options
    PreemiesUK is accepting used stamps, empty ink cartridges, old mobile phones

please send to

PreemiesUK
    138 farmers green
    Droitwich
    Worcs
    wr9 9eh
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon :T
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
  • funky-footprints
    Options
    without contacting the charities directly are a lot of these links still on going ?

i want to organisese something in my childrens school, that isnt going to cost us parents anything, I have got my hands on some very good tickets for a sporting event and thought the person or family that sent in the most stamps could win the tickets. i thought it would be a good boost in the school to have a project to work towards, that costs nothing and is rewarding for someone ? ?

no doubt the pta will throw rocks at me next week when i suggest a fund raiser for someone other than the school to benefit.
  • mabernard
    Options
    I sort stamps and picture postcards for a small charity called Hearing Dogs for Deaf People. The stamps should ideally have an edge of paper no bigger than about a quarter of an inch around the stamp. The stamps get sorted into various categories before taken to the stamp dealer who sells them online, in his shops and at auctions. All british stamps and foreign stamps are very welcome and the dealer pays per kiloware of stamps, it takes a lot of stamps to make up a kilo !! Stamps/postcards can be sent to A Bernard, Tremorden, Donaldson's Brae, Kilcreggan, G84 0JB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure