Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs.

Options

Comments

• bobgrover1941
    Options
    re message 813: Even though it took the VM technical helpline two weeks to say so, I have agreement from talktalk and VM that there IS a number porting agreement between them so I am staying with VM - my new price is £20.49 for BB M plus telephone with anytime (landline) calls free, ebilling. I don't need TV cos freeview is good for me. BobG
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    re message 813: Even though it took the VM technical helpline two weeks to say so, I have agreement from talktalk and VM that there IS a number porting agreement between them so I am staying with VM - my new price is £20.49 for BB M plus telephone with anytime (landline) calls free, ebilling. I don't need TV cos freeview is good for me. BobG

Medium package TV usually comes free with the landline, which is basically the Freeview channels, but with the 7 day VOD catch-up service, such as BBC iPlayer, 4OD, some Living and Bravo stuff and soon ITV. There's also a few other VOD programmes on rotation for a sampler to the full VOD package, plus occasionally you get Penny Movies and such like.

(Did you post in the support newsgroups about porting TalkTalk number to VM, as I recall someone doing so).
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • chic109
    Options
    Hi, I have just called Virgin to get a better deal. My current package is:-

2 x Phone Lines @ 11.00 each
    Talk Mobile@ 1.50
    Broadband (large 10mb) @ 25.00

Total @ £48.50 per month

They have offered me a package for £38.49 per month for the above but the main phone line has been upgraded to include unlimited calls to UK landlines etc.

Is this a good deal? I spoke to someone by dialing 150 from the phone & selecting the "thinking of leaving" option. Is this retentions?? Could I get a better deal?
  • Joe_Millionaire
    Options
    Currently have Phone (£11 pm) with V but wanted BB.
    Got 2mb BB and phone for £15.50 and free Installation (Worth £30)
    Max Millionaire
    191 007
    :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T
  • chic109
    Options
    Hi, I have just called Virgin to get a better deal. My current package is:-

2 x Phone Lines @ 11.00 each
    Talk Mobile@ 1.50
    Broadband (large 10mb) @ 25.00

Total @ £48.50 per month

Thought I would provide the update details. I decided that I would cancel one of the phone lines (was for a fax that I don't really need) this was the offer that I got:-

Phone - Talk Unlimited (inc all 01 etc calls)
    Broadband - 10mb
    Reduced International Calls - normal monthly charge waived
    Reduced Mobile Calls - normal monthly charge waived

TOTAL = 26.50 per month (saving of 22.00 per month)

I was happy with this as it's just over what I was paying just for my broadband.....
    :beer:
  • ClareStar
    Options
    We have just spoken to Virgin about reducing our phone line rental, L Broadband and XL TV package currently at £58.
    We rejected the lower speed broadband first offer, then they suggested if we signed up to E billing (rather than a paper statement) we could get the same package for £44- which we accepted! As they bill a month in advance, our Jan statement will be much less to compensate too.
    only took 5 mins and as usual the Virgin phone staff were very polite. Definitely worth a shot if you don't necessarily want to upgrade.:T
  • mrbah
    mrbah Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    I get
    BB medium
    Talk unlimited
    TV large for £28 a month,which includes £1 off for ebilling. could someone tell me if there anyway I can get this cheaper?
  • johnleach
    Options
    No luck for me! We're existing Virgin customers, moving house, and wanting unlimited Broadband and free anytime calls, which they said would cost me £29 per month (but with the first 6 months half price). Tiscali can do this for £20 a month. They tried to fob me off with 6 month half-price offers and free set-up, but when I explained that in comparison to the 11 years we plan to stay in the new house (before I retire) at an extra £9 per month we were talking nearly £1200, which six months of £15 didn't really compare with. When I pressed it they simply asked when I was moving so they could arrange disconnection. I obviously don't have the gift!:confused:
  • Sol00
    Sol00 Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    johnleach wrote: »
    No luck for me! We're existing Virgin customers, moving house, and wanting unlimited Broadband and free anytime calls, which they said would cost me £29 per month (but with the first 6 months half price). Tiscali can do this for £20 a month. They tried to fob me off with 6 month half-price offers and free set-up, but when I explained that in comparison to the 11 years we plan to stay in the new house (before I retire) at an extra £9 per month we were talking nearly £1200, which six months of £15 didn't really compare with. When I pressed it they simply asked when I was moving so they could arrange disconnection. I obviously don't have the gift!:confused:

You're not the only one.

We have:

V+ box
    Standard box
    XL TV
    Movies and Sports
    Talk Unlimited
    M Broadband

Our bills are frequently around £78 a month, so we contacted them to see what they could offer. Sky are offering the exact same package for £70.75 a month. Unfortunately I couldn't haggle and so cancelled altogether. However, they have been phoning up daily trying to speak to my mum (account holder), but she's always out at work.

Perhaps it's worth cancelling as it looks as though they'll still try and offer you something.
  • AngryYoungWill
    Options
    I currently have:
    2 MB Broadband (Size M) and Talk Weekends (Size M) for £14.50 per month.
    Next month, I will have been with Virgin Media for a year and my bill will be going up to £20 per month (as the £14.50 per month introductory offer expires).

I phoned Virgin Media and explained that I'm starting to look around and was wondering what they could offer me. They offered:
    2 MB Broadband (Size M) and Talk Unlimited (Size XL) for £19.49 per month.

Not great, but not bad!

Will
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family