Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs.

Options

Comments

• BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    £18 is the M broadband on its own. Though they might let you have it for £10 per month, sometimes without another 12 month tie-in.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • Julio_Geordio
    Options
    I have been on the VIP package for well over a year now, and to me it seems like its not so much of a good deal anymore, as the cost of the services are dropping in price, while VIP stays at the same price.

I mean you can get xl tv, xl phone and xl broadband for £45 per month. I'm paying and extra £45 on top of that for 1 V+ box, one standard box, movies and sports.
  • sarah8484
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am currently a VM customer, I have phone with free evenings a weekend calls, caller display and medium broadband. I also have sky tv (6 mix) and multi room for £32 per month. I was tring to get sky+ for free but the best they would offer was 49 + 60 instalation, so i rang vm.

First time i called i was offered

V+ Box (75 install)
    Multiroom - £5
    XL TV
    Same phone + BB

All for £41. I though this was good so told them to go ahead as is still less than what I am paying now. I called sky to cancel they offered me sky+ for £49 (no install fee) So i called VM back.

This time i got

V+ Box
    Multiroom
    XL TV
    10mb BB
    Phone + evenings/weekend calls
    Free caller display
    £20 good will gesture

All still for £41 per month. Does this look like a good deal?? i'm quite pleased as i am only paying £55 for install and do not need to pay it upfront as it comes out of next bill.

Also what are peoples views on v+ box, i've read alot of mixed reviews some have said that it is really slow compared to the sky boxes, is that true??

Thanks for any help
    Sarah
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,714 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. One of the other reasons I want to ditch the phone is that I want to get a new mobile service with inclusive minutes. I'm looking at the Virgin SIM-only deal for £10/month - if I call Retentions and ask to ditch the landline but take on the mobile, do you think there's any chance of getting a good deal there? Otherwise if I am going to be paying £18/month for broadband and £10/month for the SIM then I might as well get all four services for £29/month!

If I do get the £10/month SIM-only, can I keep that service when I ditch the broadband later this year, or would they put me on a more expensive monthly charge (as it would be my sole VM service)?

Suze

BexTech wrote: »
    £18 is the M broadband on its own. Though they might let you have it for £10 per month, sometimes without another 12 month tie-in.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    The £10 / month SIM offer is only open to you whilst you have at least one other service from VM, if you later remove all VM service then the mobile deal increases to the standard price Virgin Mobile charge.

I'd give them a call, select the option you want to leave and explain the cost issue, they should be able to help you.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Suzey wrote: »
    If I do get the £10/month SIM-only, can I keep that service when I ditch the broadband later this year, or would they put me on a more expensive monthly charge (as it would be my sole VM service)?

Suze

A work colleague cancelled all of her cable services but retained the £10 sim deal. As they are seperate companies they probably will never notice. Retentions will have no interest in whether you take the mobile offer when negotiating a deal. The sim has to be ordered direct from Virgin Mobile, not Virgin Media. Virgin Mobile will take a note of your cable account number but that's about as far as the relationship goes with Virgin Media.
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,714 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, I'll see what they say. Having looked at the Virgin Mobile site I can't see anywhere which offers me the 300 texts and 300 minutes (only 200/200 which expired yesterday). So I can't see any way of getting that by circumventing Virgin Media...

I hear what you're saying though, companies are very rarely joined-up in their customer management...

Suze

dave_dph wrote: »
    A work colleague cancelled all of her cable services but retained the £10 sim deal. As they are seperate companies they probably will never notice. Retentions will have no interest in whether you take the mobile offer when negotiating a deal. The sim has to be ordered direct from Virgin Mobile, not Virgin Media. Virgin Mobile will take a note of your cable account number but that's about as far as the relationship goes with Virgin Media.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kessik
    kessik Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    I have Virgin landline phone and another line for our business fax. I have sky+ in one room and sky in another room. We also have sky broadband and a BT phone line to our home office (the sky stuff comes to £41 a month). Yes, it's extremely convoluted and I can't quite remember how we came to do it this way! We only spend about £4 a month on Virgin landline and business fax but the rental is about £30. Do you think I could haggle and get the rental reduced or should I go with my plan b which is to ring sky and ask them to help me change totally to sky? Also, if I did this can I keep all the same numbers? Help!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sarah8484 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I am currently a VM customer, I have phone with free evenings a weekend calls, caller display and medium broadband. I also have sky tv (6 mix) and multi room for £32 per month. I was tring to get sky+ for free but the best they would offer was 49 + 60 instalation, so i rang vm.

First time i called i was offered

V+ Box (75 install)
    Multiroom - £5
    XL TV
    Same phone + BB

All for £41. I though this was good so told them to go ahead as is still less than what I am paying now. I called sky to cancel they offered me sky+ for £49 (no install fee) So i called VM back.

This time i got

V+ Box
    Multiroom
    XL TV
    10mb BB
    Phone + evenings/weekend calls
    Free caller display
    £20 good will gesture

All still for £41 per month. Does this look like a good deal?? i'm quite pleased as i am only paying £55 for install and do not need to pay it upfront as it comes out of next bill.

Also what are peoples views on v+ box, i've read alot of mixed reviews some have said that it is really slow compared to the sky boxes, is that true??

Thanks for any help
    Sarah

ive got the v+ box and its good, yes it can be a bit slow in changing from 1 channel to another
  • dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Suzey wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll see what they say. Having looked at the Virgin Mobile site I can't see anywhere which offers me the 300 texts and 300 minutes (only 200/200 which expired yesterday). So I can't see any way of getting that by circumventing Virgin Media...

I hear what you're saying though, companies are very rarely joined-up in their customer management...

Suze

Here are the tarrifs available to virgin media customers:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/bundles/virginmobileoffer.html

You can order from virgin mobile over the phone, just tell them you are a virgin media customer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure