Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs.

Options

Comments

• DemiDee
    DemiDee Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

I'm with Virgin Media for all calls, cable and internet and had no problems over the years.

They're now doing an offer - just £16 a month for broadband, digital TV and unlimited weekend calls to all UK numbers starting 01, 02 and 03. If I 'connect a friend', we both get £30 off our bills if/when you join. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me with your full name, house no, postcode and current telephone number and I'll be happy to submit you as one of my 'friends' for prospective connection. After that, I presume Virgin Media will call you to arrange installation, and after that...we both get £30 off our bills for doing very little!
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone got anything off VIP? (existing customer) normaly £86pm.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    DemiDee wrote: »
    . If I 'connect a friend', we both get £30 off our bills if/when you join. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me with your full name, house no, postcode and current telephone number and I'll be happy to submit you as one of my 'friends' for prospective connection. After that, I presume Virgin Media will call you to arrange installation, and after that...we both get £30 off our bills for doing very little!

I didnt realise people were allowed to tout for referrals on the main board. :confused:

In any event someone signing up to VM can get 80.00 for themselves from Quidco. ;)http://www.quidco.com/virgin-media/
  • earnwithme
    Options
    I am paying
    £25 per month for 10mb broadband
    £11 line rental per month
    £3.45 talk evening and weekends
    with this bundle I get £8 took off the above charges due to a bundle saving, I have to pay £31.45 per month (before any extra call charges are added)

Do you guys think it is worth me trying to get this down? I have had Broadband for over a year, but a phone line only since July (I am guessing I entered a new contract when that got installed)

I can't help but think it is a bit pricey, as I am sure there are people paying less who have basic digital too.
  • DemiDee
    DemiDee Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didnt realise people were allowed to tout for referrals on the main board. :confused:
    /

Actually (and maybe it's because I'm a relative newbie in comparison to your 4000+ posts), I wasn't aware that trying to help other money savers was forbidden. I personally don't need the extra cash, and didn't see simply posting the information as offensive enough to warrant an allegation of 'touting for business'. I would have posted details here whether or not I benefitted, since it's something that I felt relevant and perhaps helpful. Wasn't aware of the Quidco site offer - I'll have a look into that.
  • earnwithme
    Options
    Alx_B wrote: »
    It's always worth a try, but, having said that, if you're still in contract I wouldn't get your hopes up; once they've "got you" most suppliers don't really seem to be too worried about how satisfied a customer you are, at least not until you're out of contract again... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply, I might take on digital and ask what package they can sort out for me. I want more value for my pound :D
  • blushingbride_3
    Options
    I called and cancelled last week, was paying £16 a month for unlimited calls, BB and tv M.

They called to see why we were cancelling and i said i wanted sky+ so i can record things etc

Now we're getting a free V+ box!:) (delivered 6th jan)
    TV XL
    BB
    free weekend calls for £31 is that good? hope so!

Will be fab to be able to record programmes and its HD so now we can get our new telle!

So although we not saving alot i saved myselft £30 on what they previously offered ( for the V+ box) and now am getting more for my money!

Katie
    :money:
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    I called and cancelled last week, was paying £16 a month for unlimited calls, BB and TV M.

They called to see why we were cancelling and I said I wanted sky+ so I can record things etc

Now we're getting a free V+ box!:) (delivered 6th jan)
    TV XL
    BB
    Inclusive weekend calls for £31 is that good? hope so!

Will be fab to be able to record programmes and its HD so now we can get our new telle!

So although we not saving a lot I saved myself £30 on what they previously offered ( for the V+ box) and now am getting more for my money!

Katie

Note VM only has one HD channel - BBC HD and a handful of HD VOD programmes they haven't really changed in years. So I wouldn't really get excited about HD as 1 channel out of 300 or so isn't a great number to be getting excited about. Sky has around 30 HD channels, though VM should be adding 2 or 3 HD channels sometime next year.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • direwolf247
    Options
    Good deal...
    but you'd better hope Virgin have improved since the begining of the year.
    When i had a V+ box the channel changing speed was VERY slow and there would be coninual crashes which made one person get up and take the plug out which got very annoying, as it was always me who had to get up :(
    I think the crashing issue is fixed but if you've moved from Sky you will find it difficult adjusting to the channel change speed, ecspcially if you love flicking through music channels and everything else.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    Good deal...
    but you'd better hope Virgin have improved since the begining of the year.
    When i had a V+ box the channel changing speed was VERY slow and there would be coninual crashes which made one person get up and take the plug out which got very annoying, as it was always me who had to get up :(
    I think the crashing issue is fixed but if you've moved from Sky you will find it difficult adjusting to the channel change speed, especially if you love flicking through music channels and everything else.

The V+ boxes are still very slow and clunky and still need a reboot quite often, also they still have the 0:00/01:00 lock-out, where the box is unresponsive for anything from a couple of minutes to 30 - 40 minutes as it is at that time it updates the EPG etc.

Also note unlike satellite cable doesn't have a dynamically updated EPG system, so if programmes run early or late or schedules change at the last minute unlike satellite where the EPG is immediately updated and can cope with this, cable isn't updated like this and at best is updated 4 times a day, though mostly just the once.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure