Virgin Media: Haggle down your costs.

Options

Comments

• DemiDee
    DemiDee Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I called and cancelled last week, was paying £16 a month for unlimited calls, BB and tv M.

Katie, in your original deal, were your unlimited calls just for the weekend, or anytime? And am I right in thinking that you are now paying £31 (ie. £15 more than when you called to cancel?).

Dee
  • Damien76
    Options
    TELEPHONE

Service £11.00
    Talk Int £1.50
    Talk Mob £1.50
    Talk Unlmtd £7.95

TV

Tv XL £22
    Package £26 (movies & sports)
    V Plus Box £10
    Addit Box £15
    Addit Box -£10

BROADBAND

XL BB (20Meg) £37

Bundle -£35

Monthly Fee £5 (Handling Fee for paper billing and cash payments)

In Total £91.95 a month + Cost of calls

Hi this is my mums Virgin Bill she described to me, do you
    think she has any chance of getting it a little cheaper?
    She is willing to drop the movies and sports for basic package of channels
    She also gets charged an additonal £10 a month if she does not pay her bill in full?
    Is this right?

Any thoughts would be great.
  • Sweet_cheeks
    Options
    yes, should be able to haggle a better deal, it all depends at what point in her contract your mother is at. Hopefully she's over a 1yr contract or at around 11months on her contract to have any leverage to get a deal and you need to get through to the cancellations department (are you thinking of leaving us option). She should be able to get a deal £30-£40 taking away the extras she's willing to lose.
    i pay £36 for xl tv, large bb, anytime phone + international option
    plus i had a free V+ box, free install and netgear wireless router thrown in so a deal is out there for the taking!
    so try and see and dont always take your first offer they have about 7-9 retention offers and will really try to keep you(happy)!
    Plus never heard of the £10 charge if you dont pay balance in full so cant help you there. good luck:money:
  • Sweet_cheeks
    Options
    plus just noticed £10 v+ charge, she should be able to get rid of that as if you're on xl tv you dont pay for your v+ rental
  • I originally signed up to Virgin Media for 20MB (XL) broadband, and they said they would throw in free weekend and evening calls to landlines, as well as TV for £30.99/month. After 9 months, I was going home for the summer, so after investigating the options I got the services put on hold (a 'holiday' thing that reduces the cost).

I then moved house and was promised that if I moved my account the contract details would be kept the same and that I would NOT be tied into a new 12mth contract. In fact, when I moved, Virgin increased the broadband/TV/phone package cost to £43.50/mth AND I was unknowingly entered into a new 12mth contract.

So yesterday I phoned the disconnections line (dial 150, option 2, then 2) and was asked to explain my problem, said the above, and Virgin has now given me an additional discount, taking the cost down to £34/mth (close to what it was before) with 20MB broadband, phoneline but no free calls, and 'medium' TV.

Moaned at got £10(ish) off. Bonus!
  • blushingbride_3
    Options
    DemiDee wrote: »
    Katie, in your original deal, were your unlimited calls just for the weekend, or anytime? And am I right in thinking that you are now paying £31 (ie. £15 more than when you called to cancel?).

Dee

I know i am paying more! the point was that i am getting more channels and the V+ box for free when before they wanted me 2 pay.
    Also sky would cost me £10.50 for line rental, £17 for the service, £49 for sky+ box, £5 for broadband as i am out of area and £10 for HD so £42.50 plus the V+ box has a harddrive
    :money:
  • m00c0w04
    Options
    We're currently paying (or at least we will be if Virgin ever get the bill right) £49/month for the first three months and then £56/month after on there Triple XL promotion where you get XL Broadband, XL TV and Talk Unlimited. Now after about a week or two of signing upto it they've started offering the exact same for £38/month for the first three months and £45/month after. Is there anyone else in the same boat who has managed to haggle them down to let you have it for the cheaper price? I mentioned it briefly to the guy on the phone last time when I called up to fix the bill, but he said he couldn't let me have it at that price.

Many thanks.
  • jud!th
    jud!th Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    I want basic broadband and phone line only, no TV, so rang Virgin to say that we were going over to talktalk/BT, and that overall that would cost us £14 a month over the next 18 months (plus £29.99 to reconnect to BT).Their best offer was £15.50 for phone and up to 2mb broadband. They tried to say ISDN was vastly inferior to cable broadband, but having checked out speeds where we live, when I rang back to say no we had decided to cancel, they said ok.

Got a phone call from them just now, waited to see what they were going to offer, but no it was the £15.50 for phone and up to 2mb broadband again... Not bad I guess, but not as good as BT and talktalk current offer.

Anyone got a better offer from Virgin?

J
  • parisared
    Options
    Hi,

My vigin bill seems very high, this is what i am paying:-

Line rental £11
    Talk unlimited £7.95
    Loyalty pack bb/phone/tv c -£23
    TV XL £22
    additional box £15
    Add box discount -£5
    Sports 1&2 £19
    Broadband M £18

I telephone Virgin and asked if we can take the phone off as we dont use it, she advised we can remove the talk unlimited and increase our broadband and this will reduce our bill by £12 but I would need to enter into a new 12 month contract. Told her that i wouldnt do that as i have been with them for around 2 years. I even told them that SKY will do it cheaper (white lie) but she advised that is the best deal she can do.

What do you think?

Thanks
  • Sol00
    Sol00 Posts: 1,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they lower your bill, it's likely they'll tie you into another 12 month contract. It's not bad though if it's going to save you more in the long run.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure