MSE news: Tesco boosts Clubcard rewards scheme

Options

Comments

• Morty_007
    Morty_007 Posts: 1,496 Forumite
    Options
    I disagree. To us, Tesco points are worth about 2p each (we rarely use the points for something we would have paid full price for, so wouldn't call them 4p).
    So if something costs £1 in Tescos and 99p in Asda then, for us, it is cheaper in Tescos.
    It's not so much that they're covered in the price of the goods (though, of course, they are) it is that the points form part of the decission on where to shop.

OK, but if you take into account that the price is 1p less in Asda so you buy it more expensive in Tesco...you should only be taking into account that the points are worth 1p not 2p once you redeem them. (you already spent the difference by buying the item more expensive in Tesco ;))
    Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
    Closet debt free wannabe -[STRIKE] Last personal loan payment - July 2010[/STRIKE]:T, credit card balance about £3000 (and dropping FAST), [STRIKE]Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)[/STRIKE]
    And a mortgage in a pear tree :D
  • JacquiM21
    Options
    I joined Clubcard Plus just before it was closed and was wondering yesterday whether I wasted my time, given that my first monthly payment hasn't even been made, but it appears that under the new Clubcard scheme the extra points haven't been extended to petrol, however Clubcard Plus can be used to get double points on petrol purchases. Perhaps I shan't ditch Clubcard Plus just yet.

Having said that, Tesco isn't my favourite retailer at the moment - bought a printer cartridge instore costing £19.97, whereas the online price for collect in store is only £15.57! That's what I call a rip off.
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    JacquiM21 wrote: »

Having said that, Tesco isn't my favourite retailer at the moment - bought a printer cartridge instore costing £19.97, whereas the online price for collect in store is only £15.57! That's what I call a rip off.

That's not a rip off - that's you not doing your research prior to buying :rolleyes:

Lots of stores do this - it's normal business practice.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • JacquiM21
    Options
    I had actually checked the price online before my husband went off to Tesco and had naively assumed that the price would be approximately the same, give or take £1 or so, but didn't find out till he had returned that it was actually £4.40 more, so YES I had researched the price and please don't jump to conclusions.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had actually checked the price online before my husband went off to Tesco and had naively assumed that the price would be approximately the same, give or take £1 or so, but didn't find out till he had returned that it was actually £4.40 more, so YES I had researched the price and please don't jump to conclusions.
    Try taking it back next time you're in Tesco ('husband bought the wrong one')
    They may give you a refund or credit note.
  • rose28454
    rose28454 Posts: 4,950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options

I would get a screen print of the online price and take your receipt back next time and ask for a refund of the difference. I dont see why not. Also I spoke to Clubcard Plus today and it is still giving extra points. So purchases with Clubcard Plus will now give 3 points instead of 2.
  • ianbar0
    ianbar0 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i think the points will stay the same for a while atleast. it is likely that somehow either the conversion rate will change or the price for deals will go up...after all it is tesco. i do think its a bit off with other things like cc+ and cc credit card which i just have not the extra point you get is not really as valuble now. i do wondder wether there will be less extra points vouchers around now too.
    £18 for my old mobile.
    new proper meal planning to cut spending.
    £26 in coppers taken to bank.
    £30 under grocery budget last 2 weeks.
    £22.98 cashback quidco
    £34.02 music magpie
  • Bobl
    Bobl Posts: 695 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think Tesco might have shot themselves in the foot with this one.

We currently shop exclusively at Tesco for food/petrol and have a Tesco CC.
    We have been using the 4x points for Holidays for years, and usually go on a 'big' holiday every two years with our vouchers; going to Egypt next month on a 4* Cruise and Hotel on our 'free' vouchers, not costing us a penny. If we can only use £700 or £400 each, we will not be using them for Holidays, and therefore will probably not exclusively shop in Tesco.

Some people might think that is sad, but up till now it has worked for us.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine!
  • rds216
    Options
    Maybe I am a little too forgiving but I think Tesco do a sterling job with the points. Ok for those of us with CC+ we will not benefit as much as those without but we still benefit!!! Previously if I spent £10 then I got 10 points in store and 10 points from my CC+ now I get 20 points in store and 10 points from CC+ so what's the problem. :j
  • 1carminestocky
    Options
    Bobl wrote: »
    I think Tesco might have shot themselves in the foot with this one.

We currently shop exclusively at Tesco for food/petrol and have a Tesco CC.
    We have been using the 4x points for Holidays for years, and usually go on a 'big' holiday every two years with our vouchers; going to Egypt next month on a 4* Cruise and Hotel on our 'free' vouchers, not costing us a penny. If we can only use £700 or £400 each, we will not be using them for Holidays, and therefore will probably not exclusively shop in Tesco.

Some people might think that is sad, but up till now it has worked for us.

It would be interesting to see how many people shop at Tesco because they like doing so and think it's the best value supermarket and how many only shop there due to the 'perceived' value of the points. For instance, there are still people on here (I encountered a Tesco veteran the other night who thought this) that the points are really worth 4x times value in deals. They just aren't. You have to factor in many things not least of which is how much you would pay for the deal in cash compared to the price you have to pay in deals tokens. Not forgetting Tesco's prices these days are, on the whole, far more expensive than they used to be (witness the pathetic 'real baskets' advertising that got them in trouble with the ASA recently.)
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family