MSE news: Tesco boosts Clubcard rewards scheme

Options

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    ladyabosso wrote: »
    You know why we can't spend more than £700 and £400 on Virgin and Cosmos holidays any more don't you? Tesco wants us to redeem our vouchers on double rewards in store or online. You can't spend as many point rewards as you can on holidays, except convert them to airmiles. Trouble with that is you don't get such a good deal when booking a holday with Airmiles, as I did this a couple of years ago. Last december my husband and myself managed a holiday in Egypt worth £1000+ just by using £250.00 worth of tesco vouchers. Oh well, perhaps we'll look for another credit card now.

It isn't Tesco that caps the Deals, it's the Partners.

Capping is better than them leaving altogether. Too many have left already.

I will be sticking with my BA Miles. Roll on Sunday...Vancouver in Club Class here we come!
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • ilnf
    ilnf Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    angela9 wrote: »
    Over the last few years we have always booked holidays through Virgin and clubcard deals, fortunately we have booked next years holiday to Florida so only have a few hundred pounds left in clubcard points and aren't going to be stung with the £700 limit per person.

When I heard the news I was gutted because we were planning a fairly expensive skiiing trip through Virgin in a couple of years and at first thought we wouldnt be able to afford it. However, my idea is this:
    1) still chase your clubcard points but now your getting twice as many. So we would average about 70-80 pounds in clubcard points every quarter. Now we will get 140-160.
    2) change them to double up vouchers and use them for your shopping in store which means 280-320 pounds each quarter to spend on your groceries etc.
    3) put the money you would have paid for groceries away towards a holiday, which means you are in fact getting same value by doubling up your points in first place then doubling up your vouchers in store.
    4) I found you pay premium prices with no discounts booking through Virgin on clubcard scheme, so when you have enough money it means you can book with any operator, qualifiy for discounts and have more scope to shop around for the better deals meaning it will save you money in the long run.

You can't double up on groceries.
  • Blackrat230
    Options
    I telephone Tesco on Monday about Clubcard Plus points. The guy went away and said "that's right", to do I get 4 x points (?!). I repeated the question and he just said "yes". I think he didn't want to actually say the words you will get 4x points.

The manager in my local store, although a little unsure, thought you would get 3x points.

I may write to them, and hopefully get some confirmation in writing.

Please keep us updated !!
  • IsaCream_Man
    Options
    I went shopping yesterday and paid £60.08 with my Clubcard Plus card. The receipt shows:

Points this visit ....................... 128
    Includes .....
    New extra points ................ 60
    Green Clubcard Bag Re-Use .... 8

Quite clearly this is 3 x points for Clubcard Plus. :j
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I went shopping yesterday and paid £60.08 with my Clubcard Plus card. The receipt shows:

Points this visit ....................... 128
    Includes .....
    New extra points ................ 60
    Green Clubcard Bag Re-Use .... 8

Quite clearly this is 3 x points for Clubcard Plus. :j

Are you sure?
    That looks to me like you got a total of 128 points this visit - 8 were from reusing bags, so 120 from shopping. You spent £60 so 2 points per £1.
    My receipt frpm yesterday reads the same (except for £30 so 60 points rather than £60 and 120) and I didn't use a clubcard plus.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    withabix wrote: »
    It isn't Tesco that caps the Deals, it's the Partners.

Capping is better than them leaving altogether. Too many have left already.

I will be sticking with my BA Miles. Roll on Sunday...Vancouver in Club Class here we come!

Thank you, thank you!! I've read the last 7 pages and I just cannot believe it!! Some people blame ONLY Tesco for capping and feel somehow betraid that the savings they were making for the past 3 years are not going to last forever!! Even though that it is actually the providers that actually provide the service or item or whatever..
    This is extra reward scheme, both from Tesco and the provider, they are not bound to wait for you until you save up enough!

If I had saved for holiday of a lifetime and they suddenly pulled it, I would think "oh well, let's look for something else". I read the T&C and I am absolutely prepared for them doing so. It's not like I am going to shoot myself in the head because of it. And in this case they gave weeks notice!

I personally collect points because I like Mr T, I like their offers and foreign food and prices and the points is just bonus.
    I change them for restaurant vouchers because I think that DEFINITELY IS 4x IT'S VALUE as they don't know you are paying by vouchers until the very end and so don't have the chance to give you different overpriced menu:D
  • IsaCream_Man
    Options
    Are you sure?
    That looks to me like you got a total of 128 points this visit - 8 were from reusing bags, so 120 from shopping. You spent £60 so 2 points per £1.
    My receipt (Statement) from yesterday reads the same (except for £30 so 60 points rather than £60 and 120) and I didn't use a clubcard plus.
    I see where you're coming from, but I based my supposition on what was said on the previous week's receipt for a shop costing £53.89 on the 11th August, as follows:

Points this visit ................59
    Includes Green Clubcard bag re-use ....6

I believe the TPF Clubcard Plus bonus points are normally added in to the Total, which comes lower down the receipt, and not under the heading of 'Points this visit'.
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    edited 20 August 2009 at 11:12PM
    Options
    Any wrote: »
    Thank you, thank you!! I've read the last 7 pages and I just cannot believe it!! Some people blame ONLY Tesco for capping and feel somehow betraid that the savings they were making for the past 3 years are not going to last forever!! Even though that it is actually the providers that actually provide the service or item or whatever..
    This is extra reward scheme, both from Tesco and the provider, they are not bound to wait for you until you save up enough!

If I had saved for holiday of a lifetime and they suddenly pulled it, I would think "oh well, let's look for something else". I read the T&C and I am absolutely prepared for them doing so. It's not like I am going to shoot myself in the head because of it. And in this case they gave weeks notice!

I personally collect points because I like Mr T, I like their offers and foreign food and prices and the points is just bonus.
    I change them for restaurant vouchers because I think that DEFINITELY IS 4x IT'S VALUE as they don't know you are paying by vouchers until the very end and so don't have the chance to give you different overpriced menu:D

Don't get me wrong, we use Tesco deals vouchers but we aren't so naive to believe they are worth 4x value in real terms and we don't shop at Tesco regularly (we only shop there when we know that the price is not artificially inflated and we can get way more clubcard points than we would on a 'normal' shop - 750pts codes etc. Here's an example of what can be had if you don't pay with clubcard vouchers:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-restaurant-deals#caferouge
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see where you're coming from, but I based my supposition on what was said on the previous week's receipt for a shop costing £53.89 on the 11th August, as follows:

Points this visit ................59
    Includes Green Clubcard bag re-use ....6

I believe the TPF Clubcard Plus bonus points are normally added in to the Total, which comes lower down the receipt, and not under the heading of 'Points this visit'.

Whenever I've paid using CC+ the points never show on the receipt, they are added seperately on the statement when it comes through quarterly.
    HTH
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 August 2009 at 10:24AM
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, we use Tesco deals vouchers but we aren't so naive to believe they are worth 4x value in real terms and we don't shop at Tesco regularly (we only shop there when we know that the price is not artificially inflated and we can get way more clubcard points than we would on a 'normal' shop - 750pts codes etc. Here's an example of what can be had if you don't pay with clubcard vouchers:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-restaurant-deals#caferouge

Oh, I know about those. Even Pizza Express has these vouchers around a lot. But they are not valid for all of days of the week.
    Also we don't always know we are going to eat at Pizza Express or anywhere when we leave the house on that day..
    And when we go out with girlfriends you cannot use masses of them and to get just one meal off... That is not going to make much difference on £80 bill to be fair. Rather pay all the food with my vouchers and in cash for drinks or whatever...
    So it's always handy to have some in the purse. I just ordered some more last night actually.

As I say, it's something for nothing so I take it like that:confused:

BTW that 4x the value point wasn't directed at you, there are some people here who do think so though. With every provider of anything extra there will be good and not so good deals, that is a fact. You just have to look into it and figure out which ones are the ones worth it.

That is why I probably wouldn't order holidays etc or specificaly save up for them spending more then necessary in the process.
    But I believe restaurants, some magazines and Goldsmiths are good deals - mainly because as I say you cannot change a price of item before customer decides on what is he going for:-))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure