MSE news: Tesco boosts Clubcard rewards scheme

Options

Comments

• HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    Options
    Reverbe wrote: »
    I admit I can rarely use my clubcard points these days as they don't give you them in quantities small enough to use. I very rarely spend as much as £5 in one go which means that the points i do get are unable to be used by me.They give them to us in £5 plus amounts.

I don't have a family to go to theme parks or go on holidays so cant use them for any of the deals either... :(

You don't have to use them for days out or holidays. I use most of mine for magazine subscriptions.
  • kremmen
    kremmen Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    Tesco sell a big chocolate cake for less than £5 ??

Must be in the reduced aisle:rolleyes:

Shh dont tell anyone I said this but I went into sainburys last week and found a ginourmous chilled chocolate cake reduced to £2.50 is...yum yum.

Paul
  • spellinn
    spellinn Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    bartman wrote: »
    I usually fill the car up at Tesco, never bothered in the past to look at how many points I was getting, I always assumed it was double on Clubcard+. When I did so today I noticed that I only got single points. I assume that the new scheme doesn't apply to fuel, but has the Clubcard+ never given 2 points per £?

From the terms and conditions of the new double points offer:
    "does not apply to points awarded through promotions, coupons, vouchers, Tesco Personal Finance products, E-ON or Clubcard Plus. Excludes Tesco Mobile airtime, mobile phone contracts, Tesco Broadband, Tesco Homephone, Tesco Internet Phone airtime, Talk Wi-fi airtime, Green points, Tesco Calais, fuel and petrol filling station purchases.

So, you will still only get single points from fuel, plus the TPF bonus point for using your Clubcard+ (so two points per £1 still, not £3 in-store)

Cheers

Neil
  • kremmen
    kremmen Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spellinn wrote: »
    From the terms and conditions of the new double points offer:

So, you will still only get single points from fuel, plus the TPF bonus point for using your Clubcard+ (so two points per £1 still, not £3 in-store)

Cheers

Neil

I got some petrol today and was confident that I would only get single points ( plus my TPf points at a later date as they never show on receipt). Imagine my suprise to see the new extra points shown seperatly as they did on my grocery shopping today.

Maybe its a starting glitch and I wont get them ( cant say I wasnt warned) or maybe pertrol station puchases apply to the other stuff sold there ( you know milk bread papers etc).

Only time will tell.

Paul :confused:
  • janh_2
    janh_2 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    withabix wrote: »
    Several of the holiday Deals now have limits on Clubcard vouchers:

Cosmos: £400 per person
    Virgin: £700 per person

French Life and Individual Travellers are pulling out at the end of the year.

They are pulling out, effectively, from Sept 27th - you have to book by 30 Sep, for accommodation before 31 Dec, but need to get the vouchers in within 3 working days.
  • janh_2
    janh_2 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    bartman wrote: »
    I bought some odds and ends this morning, and for once took the trouble to look at the points. Sure enough my £20 spend with my Clubcard+ got me 40 points + 20 "new extra points". So OK there.

I usually fill the car up at Tesco, never bothered in the past to look at how many points I was getting, I always assumed it was double on Clubcard+. When I did so today I noticed that I only got single points. I assume that the new scheme doesn't apply to fuel, but has the Clubcard+ never given 2 points per £?

Just goes to show you shouldn't assume things - I could probably have got my fuel cheaper elsewhere all these years!

Tesco's fuel is usually close to the cheapest, if not THE cheapest; and even a single point is worth 4p on deals. So they're pretty hard to beat all round on fuel.
  • muffin_man
    muffin_man Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 August 2009 at 10:33PM
    Options
    janh wrote: »
    Tesco's fuel is usually close to the cheapest, if not THE cheapest; and even a single point is worth 4p on deals. So they're pretty hard to beat all round on fuel.
    Except when there's a 5p off voucher promo...expect prices up by 1p usually :p

Back on topic, I think the attitude toward this change really depends on how you look at the scheme. Can't complain about getting twice as many points!

As for the decline in value of points we're all expecting, I've earned some of my points on promotions where I've justified the cash spend because of the 4x value of the points e.g. spending £20 on something to get 500 points. Because the vouchers can be saved up, I view it a little like putting some money in savings and getting some wine (for example) for free. However, even if the points become only worth £10 in the future, it was still a good deal on the wine, because eventually I will spend the points on something I wouldn't otherwise have afforded (or been able to justify).

I think in future, best to not view Tesco as a type of savings account, rather as an investment i.e. the value may go up or down ;) and factor the risk in when deciding whether to go for an offer.

This is all hypothetically speaking of course...they haven't actually said anything about reducing the rewards values.
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm sure there must be something they offer that you could use, but if not what about petrol? Or something like mobile phone credit?
    But if you're not going to use them otherwise, why not go into Tesco and treat yourself to something for a fiver? A big fat chocolate cake comes to my mind!
    I dont drive or have a mobile. I'd love to do just that - tho I don't eat cake. :pI think the reason I have a problem spending them is that our Tescos doesnt have much to treat yourself with- no clothes , non foods or a very wide selection of household, or health and beauty.:o
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Bigun28
    Bigun28 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think a lot of people need to have a reality check here.

The points you get from Tesco are effectively free. OK, someone will argue that the cost is covered in the price of the goods etc and it’s a crime etc. But, you don't have to shop at Tesco and you don't have to collect the points - you make the choice to do so. There are plenty of other stores around offering grocery shopping opportunities and fuel etc, and many of them offer similar loyalty programs.

So if you get one point or 1000 points from Tesco, they are all free. Equally, how you choose to spend them is your choice. If you decide to buy a bed from Tesco Direct, the free points means it will be a free bed (providing you have enough points). If you buy a holiday in toto, it will be a free holiday. Even if you have to contribute something, the points will have contributed an element to make that part/cost free.

If they cancelled the whole points thing tomorrow, you’ve effectively lost nothing because you didn’t pay for the points in the first place. OK, it’s bad that the ‘goal posts’ have been moved regarding the holidays etc (and that is an issue that will impact on my holiday plans), but they were free points paying towards what could be a free holiday.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Randal wrote: »
    The points you get from Tesco are effectively free.
    I disagree. To us, Tesco points are worth about 2p each (we rarely use the points for something we would have paid full price for, so wouldn't call them 4p).
    So if something costs £1 in Tescos and 99p in Asda then, for us, it is cheaper in Tescos.
    It's not so much that they're covered in the price of the goods (though, of course, they are) it is that the points form part of the decission on where to shop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure