Glasses....anyone buy from Selectspecs or eyewearcentre?

Options

Comments

• mbrijun
    mbrijun Posts: 49 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2010 at 9:22AM
    Options
    Hi moneysavers,

I thought I would add to the conversation by giving an update on my SelectSpecs "adventure". I posted a comment in the thread earlier on as I hit some problems and at the time was still hopeful to resolve them.

So the glasses made by SS did not suit my wife. Headaches, etc. Boots told me that the PD was incorrect. Got an RMA from SS, sent the specs in. SS say all OK, no probs with worksmanship.

The prescription had a cylinder on one eye, so that may have caused a problem. So on August 13 I asked them to replace the cylinder lens with a spherical one - for a fee of £18. The fee was paid, and the order went in.

Fast forward 3 weeks, no specs in sight. On September 3 I email them. A couple of emails back and forth later the order number is established and we get down to business. I was promissed that the glasses would ship within a week. A week later, no glasses in sight. I email again, asking for an update. Receive an email the next working day stating that the order would be complete within the next few days.

Bottom line: I do NOT recommend using Select Specs. If you mention a word "refund" they pretend not to have heard it. Email responses are hit and miss. They send me info on varifocals while the subject was cylinders. Sometimes emails take days to get a response to. The only reliable means of communication - fax them.

Save your nerves - avoid this company. All of the high street opticians would make sure that the glasses are a perfect fit and would reglaze if necessary free of charge. More over, many internet opticians have refund policy. This company does not want to hear about refunds.

You don't need to change glasses every year. I would suggest saving up instead and going mainstream unless you are very patient and do not mind sending emails back and forth.

At this point I have demanded a full refund which I am sure I will not receive. That is £80 and 6 weeks of my time wasted. I am sure they will eventually send the order in despite me asking for a refund and going to Specsavers as my wife cannot wait any longer.
  • mbrijun
    Options
    Surely enough, 24h after a refund demanding fax was sent, I receive an email saying the order has been posted. Predictably, noone even acknowledged my request for a refund. Looks like SelectSpecs puts on a brave face and just marches on disregarding what their customers are telling them.

Too little, too late.
  • Openspoken
    Options
    Worried about buying from Selectspecs? Worried about the PO Box address? Worried about the misleading phone number which redirects you to the website?
    Do be cautious.
    There is a company called Select Specs Ltd whose directors include David McMillan and Jason James McMillan both of whom appear to respond to postings on MSE Selectively and to respond to emails Selectively and to run or own the online Selectpecs. The company address is [FONT=&quot]22, Roxburgh Road, Westgate on Sea, Kent CT8 8RX.[/FONT]
  • badboyRT
    Options
    I want to order a pair of sunglasses from you website, but I feel a little insecure due to the fact that you do not offer customer service, please let me know how can I stay in touch with you.

Is very important for me as a customer because the order will be shipped to Romania and I want to know that I can count on you if I need additional information or something happens with the order.

Thanks, Razvan
  • SelectSpecs_company_representative
    SelectSpecs_company_representative Posts: 159 Organisation Representative
    Options
    mbrijun wrote: »
    Surely enough, 24h after a refund demanding fax was sent, I receive an email saying the order has been posted. Predictably, noone even acknowledged my request for a refund. Looks like SelectSpecs puts on a brave face and just marches on disregarding what their customers are telling them.

Too little, too late.

Hi, do you have an order number for this one, I've asked our optician if he recognises this order but he doesn't, so if you can send an order number I can take a look into the problem.

Kind regards,
    James
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Select Specs. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    Openspoken wrote: »
    Worried about buying from Selectspecs? Worried about the PO Box address? Worried about the misleading phone number which redirects you to the website?
    Do be cautious.
    There is a company called Select Specs Ltd whose directors include David McMillan and Jason James McMillan both of whom appear to respond to postings on MSE Selectively and to respond to emails Selectively and to run or own the online Selectpecs. The company address is [FONT=&quot]22, Roxburgh Road, Westgate on Sea, Kent CT8 8RX.[/FONT]

Thanks for the information - not entirely sure of the point of your contribution to the thread is though? Neither David or Jason respond to comments on MSE, I (James) try to respond to all queries on this forum where and when I can but if you have a query you really should contact us through our contact system where all emails are answered.

If you want to find out more about our team, you can from here:
    http://www.selectspecs.com/about/team/

We have recently moved our customer service system over to a ticketing system, all queries will now be displayed in your account so if you think we haven't responded to your email you you should check in your SelectSpecs account for a response as there is always the chance that our response may have been sent to your junk / spam folder.

Kind regards,
    James
    I am the official company representative of Select Specs. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    badboyRT wrote: »
    I want to order a pair of sunglasses from you website, but I feel a little insecure due to the fact that you do not offer customer service, please let me know how can I stay in touch with you.

Is very important for me as a customer because the order will be shipped to Romania and I want to know that I can count on you if I need additional information or something happens with the order.

Thanks, Razvan

Razvan,

You are best off keeping in contact through our customer services system on our website - if you place your order then provide all additional information with your order, we will then ship your order correctly.

Kind regards,
    James
  • Openspoken
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]David McMillan has in fact posted on MSF. On 22/9/09 he said that Selectspecs “[/FONT][FONT=&quot]never ignore any emails from our customers and every inquiry is individually checked and responded to within 1 hour in most cases” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]but people are still complaining that they do not get responses or that responses do not deal with the problems raised. He also said that Selectspecs had in th past [/FONT][FONT=&quot]struggled to keep up with the demand from MoneySavers”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Has anything changed since in the view of MoneySavers?[/FONT]
    Options
    Openspoken wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]David McMillan has in fact posted on MSF. On 22/9/09 he said that Selectspecs “[/FONT][FONT=&quot]never ignore any emails from our customers and every inquiry is individually checked and responded to within 1 hour in most cases” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]but people are still complaining that they do not get responses or that responses do not deal with the problems raised. He also said that Selectspecs had in th past [/FONT][FONT=&quot]struggled to keep up with the demand from MoneySavers”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Has anything changed since in the view of MoneySavers?[/FONT]

I'm not aware of any postings by David or what he has said, can you link me to these posts?

Here is what we say on our contact system currently: "We aim to respond to your query as soon as possible although delays may occur during busy periods."

We are busy at the moment but most inquiries do get answered within 1-3 days when possible. We've recently taken on a new CS member which will reduce this timescale once she is up to speed.

Kind regards,
    James
  • badboyRT
    Options
    I've just placed the order for the Marc by Marc Jacobs sunglasses , I sent you a reply to the confirmation email I received after I placed the order. On the website when I placed the order, the website showed me the confitmation of my order with a different description for the sunglasses, and I don't want something to go wrong, in the confirmation email the description is correct. Please make sure to ship the MMJ 112/s model in black and silver .

Thanks Razvan Toma
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport