PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Buy to let fever?

Options

Comments

• poopscoop
    poopscoop Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Conrad wrote:
    I now seek new investments the crowd hasnt noticed yet.

So do many other people. It could be a change of legislation, a new law, piggy-backing off a dislocation, etc.
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So you're saying that a TV show recorded months ago and airing to 4million+ people is unlikely to contain any ahead-of-the-curve investment secrets?

As if...

And ten years' ago, it wouldn't have mattered. Most muppets wouldn't have had the means to borrow the cash to "invest".

Today, quite literally, billions could be funnelled in one direction or another, on the say so of a couple of telly presenters!

People is dumb.

Youve lost me here. Come again.
  • libitina_2
    libitina_2 Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    Six years ago I remember telly shows such as "How to be an eMillionaire".

A few hundred years ago Kirsty and Phil would have been flogging us tulips.

I hope the show is all about yields and why current prices (ramped uo by, guess who, Kirsty n Phil) now make it impossible to make money from this latest craze.

I wonder....
    I posted a link to this thread on HPC and a member there asks
    Television shows on "how to be an e-millionaire"? Does anyone remember any of these and can they tell us some details?

Billy Shears
    When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing.........
  • meanmachine_2
    meanmachine_2 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    Options
    Conrad wrote:
    Youve lost me here. Come again.

Sorry. I'm agreeing with you.

A mass entertainment show is the last place you should look to for clever investments.

By the time Tarquin the TV producer has got wind of something, you know the smart money has gone elsewhere.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Better get on with popping that corn, only 2 hours to go...
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • meanmachine_2
    meanmachine_2 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    Options
    libitina wrote:
    I posted a link to this thread on HPC and a member there asks

http://www.ukgameshows.com/index.php/The_E-millionaire_Show

schoolsforschools.com was one of the winners.

And, yes, it's now defunct.

And like the new tech bubble, these dotcom shows didn't last long. Show Me the Money was another bandwagon jumper.

http://www.ukgameshows.com/index.php/Show_me_the_Money

The bloke in the street can't get their 'eads round stuff like shares, can they? Not like good old bricks and mortar.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Conrad wrote:
    Well Im experienced. Ive sold my UK B2Ls in order to sweat the money harder in other investments including a commercial property, property in Berlin and now getting into Morocco.

Id rather set a course than drift on the tide with fingers crossed.

The reason I got out of B2L is litteraly every other person I meet is into it. A crowded market always holds a lot of danger. B2L used to be a niche business, now everyone from my Grandma to 18 year old kids have a portfolio.

B2L is being treated by millions of Brittons as a magic money making machine. In my expereince life just aint that simple.

I got in before the crowd, Ive gooten out before the crowd.

I now seek new investments the crowd hasnt noticed yet.
    Makes perfect sense to me. How long until many people get their fingers burnt though?
    Happy chappy
  • Rob76
    Rob76 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I’m very surprised to see that Manchester is being pushed as a BTL hotspot. There has been massive overdevelopment of the city centre flat market and combined an endless stream of people who thought it would be a licence to print money, the yields have nosedived. 35 The Ropeworks (M15 4QJ) is a pretty normal development, split between owner occupiers and BTL so it’s good to show the numbers:

Rental Yeild: Flat B48 is up for rent at £825pcm, was bought in Dec 2003 for £200,000. Income is £9900pa - £800 service charge - £120 ground rent giving a yield of 4.5% assuming no voids, repairs, management charges, etc. If it was bought with cash then that is an appalling return, if bought with a mortgage then it will be losing money every month.

But the Capital Appreciation means that loss every month is not too much to worry about, after all BTLs are in it for the long term… Afraid not. As you can see from the data from the last four resales, oversupply has hit prices pretty hard as well.

Flat B67
    £235,000 20-Jan-2006
    £295,000 24-Dec-2003

Flat B13
    £135,500 11-Jan-2006
    £117,500 06-Dec-2002

Flat B72
    £215,000 30-Sep-2005
    £319,000 24-Dec-2003

Flat B66
    £192,500 26-Aug-2005
    £234,000 23-Dec-2002

It will be interesting to see where this goes, I guess there is a nasty decision to take. Do you keep on making a loss every month or do you call it a day and capitalise a loss that will run into the tens of thousands? Time will tell…
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    I admit I am looking at increasing my small portfolio at the moment. I agree that it can be risky and voids etc just eat money.

Like all investments property is a risk and you really should know your market.

My opinion is that there are still some good places to invest, but they are few and far between.

What always makes me smile is the fact people see it as easy money. It is the hardest money I have ever earned and no matter what your capital increase it is never cash in the bank until you sell.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LOL kirsty ROLLING in cash !!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business