Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

August 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 40

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

August 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 August 2009 at 9:23AM in Old Style MoneySaving
937 replies 97.7K views

Replies

• kirstenckirstenc Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    513 posts
    Hi Guys, NSD for me today, so im chuffed!!

made homemade burgers tonight and they were YUM!! fell apart a little but still looked like burgers which is the main thing!!

Also, i popped this recipe on one of the diaries for someone who had a disaster curry evening, and thought I would share. If you have this or similar Im really sorry, but I love this thing and want to share with the world!!

Im gonna have to go copy and paste so I will be back in a minute!! (should have thought of that :rolleyes:)
    Pay £15k by Xmas10 £1478.19/£15000
    [STRIKE]24/07/09[/STRIKE] present - loan - £8550 overdraft#1 - [STRIKE]£2516.87[/STRIKE] £0 credit card - [STRIKE]£1210 [/STRIKE] £0
    TOTAL - [STRIKE]£12276.87[/STRIKE] £9133.63:T
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
  • kirstenckirstenc Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    513 posts
    OK...Chicken and Potato Curry

1kg Maris Piper potatoes, cut into 2cm pieces (or any other potato in any size!!)
    50ml oil + 1 extra tbsp
    50g butter
    8 skinless chicken thigh fillets (thighs are cheaper than breast)
    2tbsp hot curry powder
    1 onion, chopped
    600ml chicken stock
    3 cloves garlic, crushed (i use the powder)
    Zest and juice of 1 lemon (again cheating is to use a couple tablespoons of the lemon juice from the baking aisle)

1)Boil the potatoes for 5 mins, then drain. Heat the 50ml oil and butter in a roasting tray and fry the potatoes for 10 mins, turning occasionally until golden.
    2. Meanwhile, mix the chicken and curry powder together until evenly coated. Heat the 1tbsp oil and fry the chicken for 5 mins, turning once halfway. (you can keep the thighs whole or chop into smaller pieces)
    3. Add the onion and fry for 3 mins. Stir in the stock, garlic, lemon zest and juice, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins. Transfer to a serving dish and top with the potatoes. Bake for 15 mins until golden.
    Pay £15k by Xmas10 £1478.19/£15000
    [STRIKE]24/07/09[/STRIKE] present - loan - £8550 overdraft#1 - [STRIKE]£2516.87[/STRIKE] £0 credit card - [STRIKE]£1210 [/STRIKE] £0
    TOTAL - [STRIKE]£12276.87[/STRIKE] £9133.63:T
    A-Z of Prizes - R, Y
  • meanmariemeanmarie Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spent €12.98 today on meat...we seem to be eating a lot of meat these days....total now spent is €87.19 leaving €202.81 for the next 25 days...we will be away for 5 days which really comes from another budget but will try to keep spend as low as possible.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oops I just realised I haven't posted my budget yet of £150. Already half way through it :(

Good luck everyone.

• edited 7 August 2009 at 7:29AM
    XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 August 2009 at 7:29AM
    Felt a bit emotional yesterday after an IVF scan allthough everything is OK and on track so ended up spending £2.99 on some sweets and a bag of spuds and then blew £8.90 on a chinese:eek::o:o:eek:

I am not happy with myself at all:mad:

Chicken casserole, roast pots and frozen veg for OH and BIL tonight. The casserole was made from rubber chicken, a half price tin of condensed soup and a few frozen mushrooms, recipe was off the back of the tin. I will have to have the veggie option of quorn sausages and gravy instead!

I always drink decaff earl grey tea but it costs £1.99 for 50 tea bags, even Mr S own brand is the same price as Twinnings. Can anyone recommend a brand of decaff normal tea bags for me to drink instead as I am trying to cut the shopping bill further? Thanks x
    PAYDBX 2020 £7,454.29/£9,000 82.8% by Dec 2020
    Target Loan - £493.43/£493.43 by Nov 2020 - SIF September 2020
    Emergency Fund 31.12.20 - 100% - Achieved October 2020
    FFEF 30.06.21 - 0%
    Q4 Goals - 5/12 Frogs Eaten 2/24 PT Sessions Attended
    Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 297 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • wmfwmf Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am all mixed up this month with my spends due to DH and me having had swine flu. The good news is that we haven't gone out while we had it, therefore v cheap living:D. The bad news is that as he was better first, he bought stuff and I didn't pay any attention. Anyway, I'll have a think about it and kind of round it up as best I can. He was baaaaad though - he bought dark choc h*bnobs!! I haven't been up to making Twinks, but when I do, I'm going to dip them in melted dark chocolate, keep them in the fridge and become addicted to them.

Hope you are all doing well this month. I'm off to read through to motivate myself and see what you have all been up to!
    W
  • WelshWooferWelshWoofer Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Morning all!
    A quick trip to Mr S on the way home yielded a few bargains.
    I picked up the chicken breast and enchilada kit as expected but got a few good whoopsies in the bakery dept too - 2 packs of 2 large naans for 39p (BOGOF even though they were reduced), a pack of finest scones reduced to 49p and a pack of 4 giant rolls for 25p and a value jar of jam for the scones for 39p. Everything except the scones is in the freezer.

Total spend was £6 something reduced to just over £4 by using a Nectar reward - not a bad price for my little haul!

I won't be shopping until Sunday/Monday now as we're both away for the weekend.

Happy shopping/saving!
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all,

We're off to Norfolk tomorrow for our hols and I'm taking two meals with us, plus the usual breakfast stuff to tide us over the first few days. Apparently there's a big MrT only 6 miles from where we are staying so we won't starve! Will try to eat out a couple of times though as otherwise I won't get a break at all.

My total looks horrendous. I've allowed us another £50 worth of food whilst we are away. Eating out will come from another budget, so it should be doable. Will have a week left of the GC for August when we get back as our month runs until 22nd.

Hugs to all those that need them, and not only due to the grocery challenge.

Off to collect in 25 (no doubt soaking wet) Avon books now, with two children in tow. Wish me luck.....

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: A Pair Tree by Susan Hillis Designs
  • good morning all

thankyou for the recipe for the lemon curd cake. First thing I am going to bake when my new cooker arrives on monday.:j:j:j

Having sister for lunch today but we are only eating up left over salads, breads and cold meats, cheese etc. So absolutely no hassle.

Will probably eat so much at lunch I won't eat dinner but I am planning to make macaroni cheese to send home with sister for her family and save her having to cook when she returns home. Had friend over for lunch yesterday and she brought fresh cream cakes but as I had already made a cheesecake for us it wasn't eaten so will also give these to my sister to take home.
    By the way can I freeze double cream? Have some left from yesterday's lunch and know it will not be used up today.

Hope everyone has a good day.icon7.gif
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Morning all

Well I wasn't going to pick up the few bits I needed until Monday -"but" as hubby had to nip out this morning and would be passing ALDI I gave him the list and he picked them up on his way back in :D -Saving money on fuel and on me adding extra bits "just in case" :p and as always he only got exactly what was on the list :j
    1. fresh milk -3x48c
    2. saladcream 99c
    3. 2kg onions 89c
    4. 2kg apples €1.39
    5. cucumber 27c
    6. iceberg 49c
    7. tuna 2x85c
    So €7.17 spent bringing me to a total of €16.60 at nearly half way through the month and 11 NSDs out of 13 :D and I shouldn't need anything until the middle of next week at the earliest:j
    I made some bread yesterday -so lunch is going to be salad sandwiches -we love salad sandwiches :p and I think dinner will be jacket potatoes with cottage cheese and salad...
    I managed to get 2doz of the 3doz courgette cakes I made into the freezer -which is a miracle :A so that will provide something sweet if we need it.....
    I have also fetched another box of beans in from the garden today -should be enough to put another 4 meals worth in the freezer:Tand the tomatoes are now ripening..only fetching odd ones in at the moment -but can see where the others won't be far behind. Oh and I will be fetching my first aubergine off next week sometime, and have quite a few chilis and peppers on too......every little helps ;)
    hope everyone is well -off to make lunch .....
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5