MARTIN LEWIS LIVE Q&A TODAY WITH RISHI SUNAK
The Chancellor Rishi Sunak will be joining Martin for a live Q&A this afternoon to discuss the cost of living support package being announced today - you'll be able to watch it live HERE on the MoneySavingExpert website, stay tuned for more detail

Rhubarb ideas

in Old Style MoneySaving
211 replies 18.3K views
I have loads of rhubarb growing and the question is what to do with it besides crumble and putting a sponge mix on top? I've chopped some up and frozen it. I also worry about the amount of sugar you have to add to make it edible. Any healthy ideas anyone?

Replies

• rchddap1rchddap1 Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    When my mum makes rhubarb crumble she always forgets to put sugar in. So the end result is that everyone adds a bit at the table instead to suit personal taste. Don't have any other recipes though sorry.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the latest Asda ffree magazine they have a rhubarb meringue pie.

So you make pastry line a dish and then blind bake. Put cooked rhubarb in the middle and then cover with the meringue and then bake for 15 mins until set.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • AllexieAllexie Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try putting a few strawberries in with the rhubarb when you make crumble...you will need less sugar and its amazing what a difference they make to the flavour (and colour). I usually have some in the freezer, (no need to defrost), left over from the previous summer's glut.

hth
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• my mum uses a herb - sweet cicely (sp?) - it has a sweet aniseed flavour.

When you cook the rhubarb you add in a few leaves and you can use less sugar. The aniseedy flavour doesn’t really affect the taste of the end dish as the rhubarb has a much stronger flavour, it just adds some sweetness.

Also you can eat the green unripe seed heads of sweet cicely like sweets.
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
  • SarahsaverSarahsaver Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    a sauce for fish
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • AllexieAllexie Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about Rhubarb Fool??

Ingredients
    350g/12oz rhubarb
    55g/2oz caster sugar
    1 orange, juice only
    water
    150ml/¼ pint cream, whipped
    1 egg white, beaten until peaked

Method
    1. Place the rhubarb, sugar, orange juice and enough water to cover the rhubarb in a medium saucepan. Boil rapidly until rhubarb is soft. Leave to cool.
    2. In a bowl, fold the egg white into the whipped cream.
    3. When the rhubarb is soft, fold it in to the egg white and cream mixture. Reserve a little rhubarb for decoration.
    4. Spoon the resulting fool into a tall dessert glass. Top with the reserved rhubarb and serve.
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• GaltizzGaltizz Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I remember eating it as a child (I think it was raw?, not sure now) we just had it plain, dipped in icing sugar hmmmmm :drool:
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galtizz wrote:
    I remember eating it as a child (I think it was raw?, not sure now) we just had it plain, dipped in icing sugar hmmmmm :drool:

yes a poke made from newspaper and filled with sugar to dip the rhubarb, sitting in the garden in the summer sunshine :j

Just plain old rhubarb and custard, nothing nicer ;)
  • DaisyDaisy Forumite
    156 Posts
    Here is a great site with everything you ever wanted to know about rhubarb! Contains loads of recipes too.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allexie wrote:
    What about Rhubarb Fool??
    Ingredients
    350g/12oz rhubarb
    55g/2oz caster sugar
    1 orange, juice only
    water
    150ml/¼ pint cream, whipped
    1 egg white, beaten until peaked
    Yum! :)

Could you copy it into the Old Style recipe thread here please?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides