Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Do Something Amazing- Give Blood

Options

Comments

• juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I received a letter about my last donation, and now I can't donate for six months :cry:
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I've just gone through the questions on the site to see if I can give blood (wanted to for a while) and wonder if someone could clarify one of the questions?

Have you been outside the UK (including business) in the last 12 months?

I went to France in November for 2 days, so when I answer yes, it says I can't donate. Is there a reason for this? I see on the further information page it says about malarial areas, but don't think France falls into this category!

Apart from that, I seem able to donate. Should I contact them and ask or is it just going to be a no?

Also, probably a stupid question, but do they tell you what your blood type is? I have no idea what mine is!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • Phantom_Flan_Flinger
    Options
    freakyogre wrote: »
    Should I contact them and ask or is it just going to be a no?

Also, probably a stupid question, but do they tell you what your blood type is? I have no idea what mine is!

I'd give them a phone. They'll be able to give you a definitive answer.

Once you've given and your blood's been accepted you'll get a donor card with your blood type on it.
    Dave. :wave:
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    freakyogre wrote: »
    I've just gone through the questions on the site to see if I can give blood (wanted to for a while) and wonder if someone could clarify one of the questions?

Have you been outside the UK (including business) in the last 12 months?

I went to France in November for 2 days, so when I answer yes, it says I can't donate. Is there a reason for this? I see on the further information page it says about malarial areas, but don't think France falls into this category!

Apart from that, I seem able to donate. Should I contact them and ask or is it just going to be a no?

Different countries have different restrictions, when I go to America, I have to wait a month after my return before donating again, you should call them to make sure but I dont think there are any health problems related to France at the moment so you should be OK to donate.
  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've been encouraged by all of you on here and have just registered to give blood, although I am unsure whether I will be allowed as I take thyroxine since having my thyroid removed, although it's been 18 years and my thyroxine levels are checked yearly and are always satisfactory. It's something I have always wanted to do and if allowed would also like to sign up for the bone marrow donation.
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I take thyroxine and was allowed - I only can't now as I failed the iron test :(

If you're unsure it's best to phone and check, though, and if you can donate then take your medication box with you.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2010 at 6:00PM
    Options
    I'd give them a phone. They'll be able to give you a definitive answer.

Once you've given and your blood's been accepted you'll get a donor card with your blood type on it.
    torbrex wrote: »
    Different countries have different restrictions, when I go to America, I have to wait a month after my return before donating again, you should call them to make sure but I dont think there are any health problems related to France at the moment so you should be OK to donate.

Thanks for your replies, i'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Only got a chance to speak to them today as was busy during the week, but they said my visit to France wasn't a problem and registered me over the phone. They are sending a pack through so i'll look at that when it arrives. It looks like they're in my area in April so i'll make sure I book an appointment rather than turning up just in case there is a problem for whatever reason.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • magic57
    magic57 Posts: 736 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just in case anyone has a similar condition to me. I have menieres disease (inner ear makes you dizzy!). You are allowed to donate but I stopped giving blood for a while when first diagnosed in case it set off an attack. The menieres society had no information on the subject so I thought I'd donate and see what happened. Nothing I was fine! Didn't make me any worse so I can carry on.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    magic57 wrote: »
    Just in case anyone has a similar condition to me. I have menieres disease (inner ear makes you dizzy!). You are allowed to donate but I stopped giving blood for a while when first diagnosed in case it set off an attack. The menieres society had no information on the subject so I thought I'd donate and see what happened. Nothing I was fine! Didn't make me any worse so I can carry on.

Thank you for the information. :T

I hope it helps others in researching their conditions and look into giving blood. :)
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bagpuss741 wrote: »
    I've been encouraged by all of you on here and have just registered to give blood, although I am unsure whether I will be allowed as I take thyroxine since having my thyroid removed, although it's been 18 years and my thyroxine levels are checked yearly and are always satisfactory. It's something I have always wanted to do and if allowed would also like to sign up for the bone marrow donation.

Are you supposed to hear from them after you have registered? I've heard nothing from them.
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure