Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Do Something Amazing- Give Blood

Options

Comments

• Melonade
    Melonade Posts: 747 Forumite
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    You are still not allowed to give blood if you have ever received blood regardless of when. Sorry. :(

Thanks for the info Rikki.
    Even if you stumble, you're still moving forward.
  • claroc
    claroc Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    hi people, dont worry giving blood is not hard just eat before giving can make you a little light headed if you dont:rotfl:people are so nice when you give makes it so worth while lots of luck all
    claroc o-
  • PaulinWeston
    Options
    I've recently been given two units of blood to help me through my chemotherapy.

To all you donors - can I say "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you" .. you all do a very wonderful thing.

Paul
    :AIgnorance can be cured, but stupid is forever!:A
    Please note: Nothing that I post constitutes professional financial or legal advice.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I tried to donate today, but I failed :(
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    juno wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that juno, what went wrong?
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I failed the bit where they stab your finger and drop the blood into the liquid :(

Then the man tried to take some blood from my arm to test it in the machine, but he couldn't get any. So he said I couldn't donate.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• torbrex
    Options
    Ah... the iron test, I alway hated that bit, I dont get that test as a platelet donor.
    You must be slightly anemic this time round just try to increase the amount of iron in your diet, breakfast cereals are as good a way as any, my mother used to swear by liver at least once a month.
    It is slightly different for me as a platelet donor but I always make sure that my fluid levels are topped up before going to donate, it seems to help the flow, this also stops me feeling dizzy when I come off the machine.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    juno wrote: »

Sorry you failed. :(

I hate the finger test too. On one occassion I had to have more than one finger test and it's not nice.

Don't give up, ask lots of questions and see if you can try again another time. :)
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • torbrex
    Options
    I hope all the regular donors are finding time to pop along to their nearest session and help keep the supplies topped up.
    I also hope that new and potential donors can find it in them to get along and help swell the numbers.

Speaking for myself, I hope to get back into the fold sometime early in the new year, I was devastated to be told that I had to stop donating due to the medication I was taking but that has settled down of late and I hope for a review in January. Having not donated since April 2009 I have missed about 7 visits and I did not realise what a big part of my life being a platelet donor was.
    Remember: Give a little, give a life!
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remember to drink plenty before you go!

I had been sat in an office all day last time I went and they could not find a vein until I had downed about 2 pints of squash!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure