Massive debts

Options

Comments

• TIME2GROWUP_2
    Options
    :wave:Hello...

I'm obviously in a very silly mood as the part that jumped out at me from your post was....

Pee/shower in the early evening to save turning lights on :rotfl:
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I might have to consider this one myself.. not sure I can train my bladder to behave in this manner though.. how about a torch for the bathroom.. hey a new invention.. a light up loo.. now that would be useful...!!!

Good luck. xx
    AFD - J 19 J 11 A 2 S 10 Oct 6 N 0/?
    J GC - £282-47 A - £232-36 - S - £308-93 Oct - £399.34
    MC Hol - £153/551.88 28% PAID!!
    CHRISTMAS 09 - 9 PRESENTS SORTED...
  • gargrave50
    gargrave50 Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Options
    Sending a letter off today to AA VISA to claim back some old charges - it won't be a huge amount probably about £150 in total. They are mainly £12 charges, but I've read about some success with others persevering and managing to get the whole lot back. Worth a try! I've cut and pasted the bits I like from everyone's letters - may as well fight the good fight!!! Transferring £1 to savings (not my biggest life decision) but trying to do it in a sort of PAD style, only I don't want to pay it direct to a creditor in case they try to increase my reduced payments I've offered! Instead saving for F&Fs in 6 months.
    LBM 30/6/9 Unsecured debts [STRIKE]£25,323.48[/STRIKE] £0 :T Debt free
    Left for life Down Under 4th August 2012 - living frugally and have learned my lessons :j:j:j:j
  • gargrave50
    Options
    :wave:Hello...

I'm obviously in a very silly mood as the part that jumped out at me from your post was....

Pee/shower in the early evening to save turning lights on :rotfl:
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I might have to consider this one myself.. not sure I can train my bladder to behave in this manner though.. how about a torch for the bathroom.. hey a new invention.. a light up loo.. now that would be useful...!!!

Good luck. xx

Hey, every little helps! I hope the electricity supplier agrees!!!! Might invest in a torch from the pound shop and then we need never use bathroom lighting again :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Left for life Down Under 4th August 2012 - living frugally and have learned my lessons :j:j:j:j
  • ladybez
    ladybez Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Not much to advise re "balancing the books" but on an employment note, I work in Manchester and one of our midwives is from Glasgow. She works three, long, consecutive days and has 4 off. If you secure a post away from home, this might be worth considering. Good luck.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Regarding saving lighting costs in the bathroom, there is a gadget known as a Lavnav. It's a stick on light that you fix to the underside of the toilet lid. It lights up when it senses someone approaching, and if it lights up red, it means the seat is down, but if it lights up green then the seat is up. Or vice versa. It's handy as you get enough light to see what you are doing (so to speak) without having to have Blackpool Illuminations on in the middle of the night. Just a little nonsense to light up our doom-laden lives...
    One life - your life - live it!
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    Just looking at your post and the Grocery jumps out at me, £220 is really not a lot, I went on a DMP with the CCCS and only put £250 for groceries for 2 adults and 1 child and they upped it to £400 and apparantly this is still less than they recommended. did you remember to include toiletries, loo roll, cleaning stuff etc.
    the last thing you want is to budget for £55 a week and then realise you have underestimated

good luck
  • gargrave50
    Options
    ladybez wrote: »
    Not much to advise re "balancing the books" but on an employment note, I work in Manchester and one of our midwives is from Glasgow. She works three, long, consecutive days and has 4 off. If you secure a post away from home, this might be worth considering. Good luck.

Thanks Ladybez, its definately worth considering. Ideally that would be what I want and the travelling to Manchester would certainly be more manageable. At the moment I don't see posts advertised for anywhere outwith London. I've been checking NHS Jobs online, not sure where else I could look as I thought UK wide they are advertised on the site? If I could get work in Manchester I would be over the moon - less travelling, cheaper accomodation and more time at home!!!!:T:T:T Thanks for reading - I'll keep you updated if I manage to get anything closer to home, but at the moment I've got the interview for London so will see how it goes.
  • gargrave50
    Options
    Regarding saving lighting costs in the bathroom, there is a gadget known as a Lavnav. It's a stick on light that you fix to the underside of the toilet lid. It lights up when it senses someone approaching, and if it lights up red, it means the seat is down, but if it lights up green then the seat is up. Or vice versa. It's handy as you get enough light to see what you are doing (so to speak) without having to have Blackpool Illuminations on in the middle of the night. Just a little nonsense to light up our doom-laden lives...

That made me giggle - think i'll google Lavnav. My husband is an electrician and in our house he put sensor lighting in the bathroom so that it only went on when someone walked in. Not good at 2am! And it also meant the lights went on during the day. Think I'll see how far I get in the dark!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • gargrave50
    Options
    jaynemaria wrote: »
    Just looking at your post and the Grocery jumps out at me, £220 is really not a lot, I went on a DMP with the CCCS and only put £250 for groceries for 2 adults and 1 child and they upped it to £400 and apparantly this is still less than they recommended. did you remember to include toiletries, loo roll, cleaning stuff etc.
    the last thing you want is to budget for £55 a week and then realise you have underestimated

good luck

Hi Jaynemaria, thanks for the post. I pretty much do 2 shops a week and cook loads from scratch (when I have the time) and average around £55 a week. I think this is good going but I'm sure when I've done my spending diary for a couple of weeks I'll discover there is more going to Mr Tesco than I think!!! Will increase the food budget to ensure I am well covered - thanks for the advice:D
  • gargrave50
    Options
    Just transferred another £1.23 to my F&F pot - its my version of PAD. Its addictive and its only day 2! Trying to plan in advance for NSD, DS is going to a Summer club which is 50p per day. Do you think if I put the £2.50 in a little wallet for him at the weekend he could pay the 50p each day and I could count those as NSD?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure