PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Baking quick questions

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I used to have a lovely glass rolling pin by sadly it got broken and I couldn't believe how much a new one cost so now I use a wooden one but stick it in the freezer for half an hour to get it really cold for when I roll out the pastry.Works just as well. I did use a very cold glass milk bottle for awhile as well before I bought my new rolling pin.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    .... I did use a very cold glass milk bottle for awhile as well before I bought my new rolling pin.

For years my pastry bore the words 'Property of United Dairies' embossed into the surface :D!
  • luce181
    luce181 Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    HI, hoping someone can help me here,
    I've found this recipe... in the instructions it says to sieve in baking soda but in the ingredients it doesn't mention baking powder :eek:

Anyone have any idea how much baking soda I should use?

Here is the recipe:

Banana and Walnut Loaf
    75 g soft margarine
    110 g caster sugar
    1 egg
    225 g plain flour
    4 medium bananas
    Grated orange rind
    Grated lemon rind
    50 g walnuts
    Preheat oven to 180°C. Mix the margarine, sugar and egg together in a large mixing bowl. Sift the flour and baking soda into the mixture. Whisk this all together until thoroughly combined. You may want to use an electric whisk. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas into a pulp. Add this, the lemon, orange rind and the walnuts into the bowl and whisk again. Transfer the mixture into a greased and lined loaf tin. Bake the loaf on the centre shelf on the oven for around 50 minutes or until the loaf is golden and springs back when pressed. Leave to cool in the tin and then turn onto a wire cooling rack. Serve spread with lashings of butter!

TIA Lucy x ;)
    Addicted to MSE, I can't resist a bargain ;)
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    luce181 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how much baking soda I should use?

Naughty Abel and Cole :naughty: They've left it out of the recipe. I'd use about 2tsp, or SR flour would be easier :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • luce181
    luce181 Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Penny, think I'll try with SR flour then!
    Addicted to MSE, I can't resist a bargain ;)
  • mouseymousey99
    mouseymousey99 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    Options
    After working my way through a few loaf tins came across these:-
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/bread-tins-(as-used-by-delia)/F/keyword/loaf+tin/product/5624_5625
    Fab Fab - just what I wanted - you get proper loaf shaped bread....
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After working my way through a few loaf tins came across these:-
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/bread-tins-(as-used-by-delia)/F/keyword/loaf+tin/product/5624_5625
    Fab Fab - just what I wanted - you get proper loaf shaped bread....
    They look just like the ones I had years ago when I used to do Delia's quick loaves recipe, three at a time. Thought I'd never come across them again.:T
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    edited 13 August 2009 at 3:24PM
    Options
    IGNORE I FORGOT I BOUGHT CUP MEASURING SPOONS THINGYS.....

Need to convert
    1/3 cup of Oil
    1 cup of milk
    1 cup of Oatmeal
    1 1/4 cups of flour
    1/2 cup raisins

3/4 cup of milk

Many thanking yous x
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • hamper
    hamper Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hello!

Recently I've been trying my hand at making cookies - Oat & Sultana, and Oat & Choc Chip.

They're lovely and soft when they're warm, but when they cool they go quite hard and crunchy. They're still delicious, but to stop them all getting devoured before they've even cooled, I would love to know how to make them stay soft!

Any advice? :)

To pay: Loan (£4075). Overdraft #1 (£550). Overdraft #2 (£242).
    To do: Close savings account. Claim back bank charges. Reduce electricity payments. Reduce cost (& length!) of home phone calls.
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've never tried it myself but you could try wrapping them in a clean tea towel while they're still warm. I read somewhere that doing that keeps bread rolls soft - don't know if it works with cookies, though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure