PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Baking quick questions

Options

Comments

• puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    Ive seen a simple cheesecake recipe which calls for a drop of vanilla extract, the cheesecake is with fruit in it, so what else could I use thats cheaper? some spice or so? I dont do a lot of cooking so the extract would go to waste
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Vanilla flavouring
  • puddy
    Options
    what about changing it to cinnamon or all spice or something or would that be too heavy in a cheesecake?

(trying to use what ive got, im on a mission to use up store cupboard things, found a jar of raspberries and have some ancient spices)
  • Waxy_Bean
    Waxy_Bean Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was going to suggest that a few days before you made the cheesecake (or now!) you put a vanilla pod in the bag of whatever sugar you were going to use, but that will work out probably equally as expensive.

IMO there is no alternative for proper vanilla or vanilla paste/extract, but vanilla flavouring (approx 40p for a small bottle) might be what you're looking for.
    2009 winnings: private box at the ballet, a cooking lesson with Jean Christophe Novelli, a case of wine, £25 itunes downloads, a candle, Football Manager PC game, a lipstick, £250
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    YOU may be able to leave it out depending on the recipe - what recipe is it?

Ill merge this with baking quick questions later

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    puddy wrote: »
    what about changing it to cinnamon or all spice or something or would that be too heavy in a cheesecake?

(trying to use what ive got, im on a mission to use up store cupboard things, found a jar of raspberries and have some ancient spices)

Those are powder, the vanilla will be liquid. Its only about 40p
  • puddy
    Options
    it only calls for a drop, its for a baked cheesecake with raspberries added to it. a bit boring but i cant think what to do with this jar ive got. i dont think it would make too much difference but wondered if i could add a different flavour of stuff ive already got
  • zippychick
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    Its a Delia Smith recipe

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/sweet/chocolate-fudge-cake.html

I have made this loads of times and the kids used to love it. It can be a bit tricky with timing and sometimes can go a bit runny if you are not careful but they still love it anyway. Persevere with it and you will get it right. It does involve cooking chocolate which I forgot about but is lovely. I have made it with white sugar. I like it best with dark chocolate.

She says to beat it a second time which was not in the original recipe. Don't get me wrong this is easy to make.
    Just comparing that to a choccie fdge cake i made yesterday which was equal quantities of butter and sugar (225g) . No wonder it tasted so good! :eek::o The recipe i used was plain - melt, fridge, spread. NO whisking or anything :) I did wonder what purpose the evaporated milk served as my recipe was 5tbsp. I was tempted to replace it with normal milk but it was for a birthday so i didn't risk it . :p

So its a slightly toffee soaked jammy cake? sounds yum! let us know if OH likes it and we will merge this later on with baking quick qs

Zip :)

• zippychick
    Options
    [STRIKE]if it's literally a drop in the recipe i would be tempted to leave it out and hope for the best as lonf as there is flavour coming from somewhere else. Ah is this how you are using the raspberries?!:rotfl: Im reading the threads in a different order than you've written them ! [/STRIKE]

I personally don't think cinnamon or spice would be right in baked cheesecake as baked new york cheesecake generally has a vanilla flavour ( any i've made anyway ). Well you could of course use those flavours but you will have a cinnamon flavoured cheesecake?

• rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    i'd just leave it out rather than buy anything else. I wouldn't put spice wit raspberries
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family