PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Baking quick questions

Options

Comments

• Moorhen
    Moorhen Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have any nutella or any other type of chocolate spread?
    I use this quite often for cake fillings.
  • funkymonkey849
    Options
    Moorhen wrote: »
    Do you have any nutella or any other type of chocolate spread?
    I use this quite often for cake fillings.

Agh yes I do but OH doesn't like nuts! He hates nutells :( (it's for him btw:P)
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2011 at 5:18PM
    Options
    Apart from grinding sugar the only things I can think of is Confectioners Custard with a little cocoa added or thick chocolate custard.

Confectioners Custard Recipe

You wouldn't need to make that amount
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    could you gently melt the butter and sugar together with the chocolate then let it cool :)

on the other hand i made butter cream with castor sugar this week and it gave a nice little crunch to the filling - just say that is the way its meant to be :)
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Do you have any evaporated milk. There is a chocolate fudge topping recipe I can find for you with evaporated milk, butter and sugar.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you going to be covering the cake with sugarpaste/fondant?

I'd probably make some creme patissiere (think confectioner's custard is what it's called in the US) but I wouldn't even make a chocolate version. Recipe here.

If you have any cream, you could make a creme chantilly by whipping it with some vanilla and caster sugar (traditionally it would be icing sugar, but caster sugar will work fine) and sandwich it together with that. You could grate the chocolate finely and fold that into the whipped cream.
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    tesuhoha wrote: »
    Do you have any evaporated milk. There is a chocolate fudge topping recipe I can find for you with evaporated milk, butter and sugar.

I'd love to pinch that recipe for the future. :D
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 12 June 2011 at 6:09PM
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    I'd love to pinch that recipe for the future. :D

Its a Delia Smith recipe

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/sweet/chocolate-fudge-cake.html

I have made this loads of times and the kids used to love it. It can be a bit tricky with timing and sometimes can go a bit runny if you are not careful but they still love it anyway. Persevere with it and you will get it right. It does involve cooking chocolate which I forgot about but is lovely. I have made it with white sugar. I like it best with dark chocolate.

She says to beat it a second time which was not in the original recipe. Don't get me wrong this is easy to make.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• funkymonkey849
    Options
    Update! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Didn't have enough eggs for the custard thing. I hunted through the cupboard and found a jar of sticky toffee sauce! It looked solid enough so I plastered it all over the cake. Within a few minutes it had turned into a runny sauce LOL! So I scraped it off and used the jam instead.

I used icing to cover the cake so all was well :D
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I used icing to cover the cake so all was well :D

Solves most of life's problems, a good coating of icing, take my word for it!
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family