PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Baking quick questions

Options

Comments

• puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    Options
    tell me if this is mad, but what about black pepper?
  • LittleBrownFrog
    Options
    A vanilla pod in sugar would work - the pod will last for ages, so you'll have vanilla sugar for lots of recipes in the future (you can just keep topping the jar up - a vanilla pod will do six months on its own, then you can split it down the middle & get another six months of vanilla-ness out of it.
    Or, just buy vanilla flavouring from the supermarket & again, use it up in cakes etc.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    puddy wrote: »
    tell me if this is mad, but what about black pepper?
    Ummm I think that's mad, yes, bonkers even! :rotfl: But if black pepper flavoured cheesecake is to your taste then by all means...

if you buy vanilla , it can be part of your storecuboard you know? Or can you make the cheesecake a chocolatey base so you don't have to add vanilla?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Options
    You can make your own vanilla extract you know ;) Not any use for now, as it takes a couple of months to develop the full flavour, but it might be worth thinking about. Could also be a nice foodie Christmas gift. Small bottle, cup of vodka (I purify cheapy stuff through a Brita water filter) and three vanilla pods. Spilt the pods through the middle lengthways but don't cut in half, leave a wee bit at the end uncut, and put them in the vodka, shake it once a week, and leave in a dark cool place for a month or two, the colour will deepen with time. You can top it up with some more vodka when using it, and I always use vodka to swish out the last bit. You can also add a wee bit of sugar syrup for flavour, but its not essential, as you are using it in sweet recipes anyway.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I always buy the good stuff, I know its expensive, but it lasts for ages and ages. Then again I bake alot so it gets used in cakes etc all the time.

If you are putting whole raspberries in I would either put lemon juice and some icing sugar to sweeten in, or make a raspberry couli/sauce to serve with the plain cheesecake.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• zippychick
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    I always buy the good stuff, I know its expensive, but it lasts for ages and ages. Then again I bake alot so it gets used in cakes etc all the time.

If you are putting whole raspberries in I would either put lemon juice and some icing sugar to sweeten in, or make a raspberry couli/sauce to serve with the plain cheesecake.

Ali x

They're in some sort of sweet syrup from a jar :) x

I would always have some in too but I bake frequently as well. Even if you dont and are OS, i think it's a basic staple as there will be baking occasions.

• zippychick
    Options
    Puddy, the burning question is DID YOU MAKE YOUR BLACK PEPPER CHEESECAKE?!?!?!:D:rotfl::eek::p

• lapis_lazuli
    lapis_lazuli Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can make your own vanilla extract you know ;) Not any use for now, as it takes a couple of months to develop the full flavour, but it might be worth thinking about. Could also be a nice foodie Christmas gift. Small bottle, cup of vodka (I purify cheapy stuff through a Brita water filter)
    Don't get the water filters mixed up! :rotfl:
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Black pepper's a surprisingly nice spice to use - in a fruitcake, though - sort of gives a flavour not too different to nutmeg, without being nutmeg! I would just leave the vanilla out, I think; maybe put in a fine grating of lemon rind if it's not already in there, to add a dimension of flavour, and then enjoy it anyway!
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • esalad
    esalad Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Does anyone know a really nice easy recipe for jam roly poly please?;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure