PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Baking quick questions

Options

Comments

• djheath
    djheath Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's my GF birthday on Friday. I don't have much time to bake her a Victoria Sponge cake, so need to do it tomorrow morning. What is the best way to store this so it still tastes relatively fresh on Friday afternoon?!

I was planning on cooking the two sponge halves. Letting them cool fully, then wrapping in cling film and storing in the fridge. Then before serving, assemble the cake fully by sandwiching with whipped cream and strawberries!

Would the cake halves be ok in the fridge wrapped in cling film oh wise ones?!
  • supermum4
    supermum4 Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i would put both halves in a tin and then just assemble on the day as you planned will taste great, i wouldn't put them in the fridge.
  • mrsb83_2
    mrsb83_2 Posts: 914 Forumite
    Options
    Wrap in cling film whilst still warm (not hot) to help keep it moist. Don't refrigerate as that will dry it out.
    Total Debt Sept 2010 - £24,132.38 / Current - £0.00/ 100% paid

DFD - [STRIKE]Aug 2014[/STRIKE] 24th Aug 2012

£10 a day // Jun - £64/£300 / Jul - £133/£310 / Aug - £281/£310
  • djheath
    djheath Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent. Thanks for the help.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I hope your gf likes the cake :D

as you have your answer ive merged this with baking quick qs

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tried to make some blue cupcakes, and planned to use lemon curd to make them butterflys, because blue and yellow are the school colours and they are for an event there.

The problem is that they turn torquoise, not blue, I assume because the cake mix is a yellow colour due to the eggs.

Does anyone know how to make a cake mix that is 'whiter' so that the cake actually ends up blue?

Thanks...:(
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Options
    liney

Have a look here:

http://joyofbaking.com/AngelFoodCake.html

This cake is white inside - preumably you could add blue to the recipe

Lizzy
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Try using blue paste food colouring, rather than the liquid stuff. It's much stronger and I find you get a much more true colour once it's baked. If you go for a darker 'navy' colour then that'd probably work better than a lighter baby blue colour too. You can get the pastes from cake decorating shops or hobbycraft - they're a few pounds a tub but they last forever.
  • NoahsPennilessMummy
    Options
    use the american gel colours....and add a couple of drops of violet gel into the mix! That is the secret....I made a royal blue cake for autism day;)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    What a good idea! [hurriedly shuffling DD away from the blue colourants as she will shoot up to the ceiling and start spinning around]

Perhaps there could be some colourant free ones available as well? [tactful grin] :D

Oh, and you can get white cake mix round here in the Caribbean food shops - and in the foods of the world section in Tesco.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family