What won't you compromise on in your bid to become debtfree?

Options

Comments

• xela_17
    xela_17 Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    I won't give up my sky plus (although did threaten to cancel and got 2 months half price :)) Won't eat any other pasta sauce except Dolmio. Others just don't taste as nice and I HAVE tried. Cat won't eat any other wet food except the more expensive pouch types. Have tried and tried to make him eat others but he really would rather go hungry, so it was a false economy.
    What did I do at work before I discovered MSE?!

DFD - WAS: a while ago

NOW - not sure, due to boyfriend going back to uni for masters and now pgce. Worth it in the long run!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    Exactly! The life span of toilet paper is, err, rather short. Why waste so much money on it? Personally I've never had chaffeing problems, I don't see what the big fuss is.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    amosworks wrote:
    Exactly! The life span of toilet paper is, err, rather short. Why waste so much money on it? Personally I've never had chaffeing problems, I don't see what the big fuss is.
    As with life, you have to take the rough with the smooth.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• spaghetti_monster
    Options
    I have to say you're lucky if loo paper is not an issue - can't have the cheapo scratchy stuff myself!

I also like good olive oil, but I read something recently that made me think. I just bung it in everything but if you're making something like frying onions for a sauce you can't really taste it in the end. So I've now got sunflower oil for those kinds of things and save the olive for salads and things where you really get the flavour.

I've been limiting going out (not difficult as OH is also extremely budget conscious) but sometimes I just need a night out down the pub and relax a bit (am a lightweight in this dept so also not too expensive!)
  • gingerfurball
    Options
    I usually buy the cheap toilet roll from the supermarkets, and Lidls toilet roll is excellent...I did, however, buy one packet (can't remember from where) which my DH called "toilet roll of a thousand edges!" we never got that one again!!
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I dont buy cheap loo roll, not because its too rough, but because we tend to go through it a lot quicker than the more expensive stuff. We prob save money by buying the more expensive as it lasts longer.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What you want to do to make it last longer is to squish the rolls so that the cardboard in the middle is flat/oval shape, less comes off. PIcked up from OS, and this works REALLY well, I reckon we have halved what we go through. ( too much info? nah ;) )
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Skysports, Benecol and Innocent Smoothies!
  • Ceri_2
    Ceri_2 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    I have cancelled a fair few things & cut right back on everything, but today I went & bought some decent skincare stuff.
    I am one of those unfortuate ppl who suffers from acne at the grand age of 30, was fine in my teens, but hit 20 & spots galore! I suffered for years & finally found freederm last year & for the first time in 10 years I was spot free!

Except it only really works well with a decent skin care regime. I thought I would try getting cheaper stuff but I'm out in spots & blotchy again.

£14 on all 3 wasn't the stuff I usually get, but it's worth a try. But if it doesn't work I WILL be buying my regular stuff (at £8 a bottle :eek: ) despite the cost! Had enough years of being spotty and finally found something that works, I'm not losing it now!!
  • MinnieSpender
    MinnieSpender Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Options
    amosworks wrote:

You lot BUY loo roll? What's wrong with cutting up old newspapers into toilet paper sized pieces like they did in the good old days? I've whiled away many a dull evening with a pile of Daily Mails (what else?) and a pair of scissors.
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family