What won't you compromise on in your bid to become debtfree?

Comments

• stefbate
    stefbate Posts: 53 Forumite
    I have been doing really well, ive started shopping at Aldi, but i couldnt possibly compromise on, colgate toothpaste, persil soap powder, lenor, fairy dishwasher tabs, heinz ketchup. most of the other cheap brands ive switched to, but not the above. oh and shampoo too, it differs each month, but i never buy a non branded one.
  • Rob_K
    Rob_K Posts: 126 Forumite
    stefbate, why won't you compromise on the dishwasher tabs out of interest? we use supermarket's own brand and I'm convinced there's no difference, or what difference there is is so small as to be irrelevant.. Same goes for the fabric softener actually! I'm with you on the Heinz ketchup though :wink:
  • stefbate
    stefbate Posts: 53 Forumite
    Ive tried all sorts of dishdasher tabs, and find that the cheap ones leave residue , so i end up washing them again, so it defeats the whole point of buying cheap, becuase im using twice as many. The fairy ones have just come out though, and are on offer £1.75 for 15, so ive stocked up to save momey. You are right with the fab con, becuase i did buy aldis own once, and it wasnt bad, but not as nice as lenor, i like my clothes to smell nice.lol.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cantdance wrote:
    My truly unlimited broadband internet at £24.99 a month...

I know I could get cheaper broadband for £12.99 a month but they give you a measly 2GB a month which wouldn't even last me a day with my hobby (authoring DVDs and swapping over the net with a friend in Holland)

I've economised on absolutely everything else (yes Netto / Aldi and Lidl now all know me by name!) so I allow myself this one luxury - what would I do if I couldn't watch the latest Lost or Smallville hot off the press from the USA? :o

James

TEscos doesnt!! 17.99 a motnh, unlimited DL limits, plus CC points :money:
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Thanks Lynz, I'll look into that!

If it's really really unlimited (no annoying 'fair usage limit' of 30GB a month or something) and decent speed then I'll be on that rightaway!

James
    Total Debt: Owe about £19,000 on credit cards plus £24,000 which is my half of joint loans.
  • I buy own brand cereals and Lidl's coffee is the bomb! I went to Tesco's this weekend and ended up spending about £20 more than usual...I'll be going back to Sainsbury's and Lidl this week.

I do use organic free range eggs and I sponsor a little girl in Cambodia...and I always will.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Kellogs corn flakes are irreplaceable but ASDA do really good bran flakes in a bag for 70p.

I assume you are referring to the smartprice ones. I use to buy the Tescos healthy living ones. Until I found these. And for the same size packet nearly twice the price.

Always stock up when I go to a Asda.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Booze :rotfl: can't live without it! That said, I only buy it if it's on special - and then not a lot, in all truth - at least, less than before I had kids.

I've tried Aldi/Lidl but it's not exactly easy to get to (nor get round with two small children) but it's like every other shop. When it's normal, then it's easy, when it's new, then it can be a nightmare!

Otherwise, if it can be done cheaper, I'll do it that way (dad's birthday pressie is a sub to Gardener's World mag, done with my Tesco points, and a book from Amazon that was half the price he expected. Thus £45 of gift for £13!)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 002 :rotfl:
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I actually find using value items a necessity. Not because of the price, but because my son has a milk allergy. Generally the value items eg hot dogs don't have milk in but the branded ones do!
    But I won't stop buying my fairtrade tea, coffee, and sugar in Oxfam. That way I get fairtrade goods and Oxfam get a regular donation! Win win really! And I don't like to buy my fairtrade stuff in a super market because I am unsure as to how much of a cut they take.....
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • earwig
    earwig Posts: 1,097 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    mine is
    nappys pampers wont change the cheep ones leak
    san towels always (sorry guys) for the same reason as nappys
    meat only buy british meat
    soap dove only
    washing powder fairy
    beans heinz only (rather not have them otherwise)
    coke the other ones dont taste as nice
    sky plus tv cant do with out now but have drop package from 46.00 to 28.00
    apart for that i not that fussy about anything else and have seen small changes to our buget as the saying gose look after the pennies the pounds look after them self
    i cant slow down i wont be waiting for you i cant stop now because im dancing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure