What won't you compromise on in your bid to become debtfree?

Comments

• louB_5
    louB_5 Posts: 249 Forumite
    I tend to use my local butcher more than supermarkets for meat now I've become moneysavvy! Its a lot cheaper and he makes his own sausages so I know theyre good quality.

I have converted to Asdas own cereal bars that are a lot cheaper than named brands and just as nice, and have always bought recycled own brand kitchen and loo roll.

I also use local Aldi for olive oil as it is a lot cheaper than supemarkets.

I have to have my good quality coffee though! I will not scrimp on that!
    £2.00 Coin Savers Club - £72.00 :j :j

Boots Points £10.06 Saving For Christmas
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    got to say mine would have to be heinz tomato ketchup.Theres just nothing quite like it!

Other than that,whatevers cheap suits me just fine!
    xx
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've found that we live a lot better since going MSE and OS :) I'm probably going more OS than MSE though :rotfl:
    I will not compromise on quality of meat and veg! I rarely buy ready made food but make it from scratch (hooray for the slowcooker!) I buy more meat from my village butcher now than ever (not all is organic but it's all local reared and none of it is intensely farmed which is good enough for me :)), I buy a lot of my veg from an organic veg box scheme that delivers to my door and same with fruit. I think we are both finding that we feel better for eating food with no addatives :)

I will NOT give up my wine :) I don't smoke, we dont really go out and I enjoy my occasional glass of GOOD red wine :)

All in all I think we eat more healthily and consiously than we did but I think the savings are probably not as big as they could be :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    cattie wrote:
    Oh Ali, Definitely not true for Kellogg's Cornflakes, nobody, but nobody makes cornflakes as scrummy as Kellogg's & they don't make them for anybody else. :)

Maybe it's 'cos I'm half asleep in the mornings that I haven't noticed! :confused:

In the summer, I usually love a bowl with ice cold milk in the evenings...that will be the real test!
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    amosworks wrote:
    My local Lidl did a special on pets stuff one week and had cat litter at 99p for 10Kg!! We must have driven home with half a metric ton in the boot :D

You just need to get a cat now! ;):p :rotfl:
  • southernscouser
    southernscouser Posts: 33,745 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CAFCGirl wrote:
    got to say mine would have to be heinz tomato ketchup.Theres just nothing quite like it!

xx

My mate swears by Asda's own ketchup and he eats it by the bottle! ;)
  • Guinea_2
    Guinea_2 Posts: 505 Forumite
    CAFCGirl wrote:

xx

I would have to agree with you there! There is nothing else like Heinz tomato ketchup! Anything else...well, when my partner and I moved in together he said that he would never eat Tesco own brand stuff but does he do the cooking? No...so he has no idea that when he says that the food is lovely (not blowing my own trumpet there!) that he is eating the cheap stuff.

Oh yes, the other thing that we can't buy on the cheap is Nescafe coffee. We don't actually drink coffee but when we moved in together we bought Tesco own brand for guests and the comments about it were less than complimentary and so we have to buy the good stuff...well, we don't want our guests thinking bad of us! :D
    :love:Baby Bump born 4th March 2010! :kisses:
  • TheAble
    TheAble Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I will compromise on anything and everything! :D

No matter what you want to buy, there's always a cheaper way of doing it
  • RVK2
    RVK2 Posts: 379 Forumite
    I've got to have decent teabags...but Tesco Premium does me just fine. I use a lot of value stuff and have no problem with it, except the loo roll ( you may as well just use your hand lol), decent coffee for visitors (fussy brother in law) and Dove soap for my poor dry skin!
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    You just need to get a cat now! ;):p :rotfl:

lol, I've adopted 3 of the little rascals now. One of them has happily been an innie-cat so far in his life and I'm working hard to get him to spend lots more time outside. The problem is he refuses to do his business outside, he often only comes in to use the tray :rolleyes: It's not funny before you start laughing. With most cats it's the other way round, but no - he had to be different. Typical lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure