What won't you compromise on in your bid to become debtfree?

Comments

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I spend about £100 a week but my son eats me out of house & home. I shop on line at tesco and use a voucher every week, points or money off. i am going to try some own brands. I buy Ariel washing powder still as ive tried others that leave stains on the clothes. I only buy Coke at holiday times though and then its got to be on special offer.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Tesuhoha
    Def have a look at the thread I mentioned before. REally worth while. Personally, I use tescos own colours liquid wash ( about 2.00) and it works everytime I only use half of the amount. No residue from poweder either
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • tesuhoha
    Will try that when present supply runs out. (have only just bought some as it was on special offer). Am still looking for own brands thread, have not yet found it, but found a lovely recipe for chicken casserole though
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • tesuhoha
    Thanks youve been such a help to me. Ive been looking in the wrong place under Money Saving Old Style, should have read your message properly but theres so much to read on here i cant keep up with it all!

• miss_angie1
    miss_angie1 Posts: 457 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I did a little shopping experiment on this when I went shopping a couple of weeks ago in Sainsbury's and decided to replace whatever I could (within reason) with the basic no frills stuff. It was actually very difficult as I spent time comparing ingredients and while some items are okay others are full of artificial additives etc which I'm not prepared to buy just to save a few pence. I did get the budget baby wipes which were fine just a bit thinner than the sainbury's own brand. Quality food is important so I can't scrimp on that especially having kids.
    I stick to the cheaper houshold things instead.
    My mantra is "Never pay full price!" ;)
  • tesuhoha
    Am going to try Tescos Value Jaffa Cakes and Tescos Mayo. Heard they are just as good.

• VickyA_2
    VickyA_2 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I still buy my meat from our local butcher - everything that he sells comes from farms of a 10 mile radius of the shop! Traceability and fantastic quality - and it's not that expensive.
    I could never give up my season ticket for my rugby team - they need all the help that they can get at the moment, poor cherubs :D
    Sealed Pot Challenge #021 #8 975.71 #9 £881.44 #10 £961.13 #11 £782.13 #12 £741.83 #13 £2135.22 #14 £895.53 #15 £1240.40 #16 £1805.87 declared
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Eeek, all this talk of premium foods this, finest foods that. I shop at Lidl as with my new DFW eyes, I see Tesco like how I used to see Marks & Sparks. I never realised how many of you still have money to burn :D (can I have some, pretty please, you might as well, you're giving it away anyway) :D

There are only 3 things I won't compromise on:

Free range eggs - I too won't eat anything or the product of anything that spends its entire life unable to move or even stand up

Giving money to charity - There will always be someone much worse off than I am regardless of how "bad" things get. Mainly animal welfare charities are my biggest concern.

Phonecalls to my gran - I don't care how much it costs, you can't put these sorts of things off until you're DF, as by then it might be too late and you could find there's nobody to phone.

Now, I know I'm gonna upset a few people probably, but boy - how many brand snobs are there in here?! La de da indeed! Get you with your "I can taste the difference this" and "added chemicals that" msn_neutral.png.

Seems as though those brand manufactures have still got quite a few of you well and truly wrapped around their fat corporate little finger. I actually pity you in all honesty. Of course different products taste slightly different, but nothing actually tastes so foul it's not fit for human consumption. Your brain is so totally wired for expensive = better.

I wreckon that the true-hearted DFW's/OS's/MSE'ers should try a few brandless taste tests with their OH/DS/DD tonight and try and put some of this brand snobbery back where it belongs - on the shelf!

If you're so up on "this isn't just a carot -- it's a hand reared carrot from the Queens finest highland range stock that has been waited on since birth by authentic virgins and was frozen within 5 seconds of it being picked to preserve its divine goodness" then I suggest you grow your own veg and get the real finest quality with the real cheapest prices.

End of lecture.
  • MoaningMyrtle
    MoaningMyrtle Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I just stick to bargains, in Teco, Sainsburys, Lidl or wherever I happen to be, although I get Nescafe coffee, free range eggs and the Telegraph on Saturday and the Times on Sunday. These are my only luxuries really, apart from perfume :o We very rarely have wine or lager as we are trying to diet as well as save money, we got into the habit of drinking every night, now we occasionally get a four pack or lager or one bottle of wine and it feels like a real treat. I feel so virtous now! :D
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport