What won't you compromise on in your bid to become debtfree?

Comments

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I do realise ive got to cut the shopping bill more but theres no Lidls or Aldi near me so at least by home delivery im cutting the cost of petrol. i am going to experiment with own brands but im another one who wont buy anything but free range eggs. I think there might be an Aldi opening near us soon. Is it really so cheap that it makes Tesco look like M&S?
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Absolutely! There are some things between the 2 that are the same price, some things even cheaper in Tescos, but generally everything in Lidl/Aldi/Netto stores will be much cheaper and IMHO the same quality. It's just that these stores stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap. The stores themselves are usually no-frills which is why their overheads are smaller. So long as you don't mind climbing over crates to get what you need sometimes or opening the shipping packages that the goods come in sometimes (is the packages that contain your packages of stuff heh) then it's great. A lot of brands are well known in Europe, but just not here so you have to get used to it. Sometimes knowing a little German can help in some situations (I never knew what Fleischsalat was until I was staring at it in the toilet bowl) but apart from that, it's fantastic. They often do special deals on Mondays and THursdays where they price things ridiculously cheap. It's usually themed also, so one week will be discounted seafoods, the next week cleaning products, the next week pet products etc.

It is well worth getting to know your local Lidl/Aldi/Netto. There's threads about it on the OS board with tips (bring your own bags as they charge you for theirs and stuff). All helps keep the cost down etc.
  • tesuhoha
    You stared at Fleischsalat in the toilet bowl???????
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    (Yeah after I tasted it for the second time)
  • tesuhoha
    Hope that free range chicken of yours doesnt get bird flu.

• tesuhoha
    Oh you mean it made you sick

• MinnieSpender
    MinnieSpender Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Free range eggs, preferably organic ones - cannot bring myself to buy eggs from caged birds.

Daily newspaper - 70p a pop, but won't do without it.

Direct debit to my favourite charity - even with debt, I'm luckier than a lot of people.
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    And again in Shop but dont drop there are

What to buy/not to buy in the tescos value range
    What to buy/not to buy in Aldi/lidl/ netto

Definately worth a look, quite a lot of the stuff in Netto/ Aldi is the standard of tescos own but the price of value. ( ie tinned toms etc)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I buy free range chicken when I can get it ( pretty popular round here) and the difference in Quality is unbelievable, in that it doesnt shrink. When it doesnt shrink, it goes further, and the flavour is such you can get away with having less of it.
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • MinnieSpender
    MinnieSpender Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    tesuhoha wrote:
    Hope that free range chicken of yours doesnt get bird flu.

I think it's safe from bird flu, but it does look like it's got a serious case of Mad Chicken Disease! :rotfl:
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family