Thrifty Gifty - Organised for Christmas and all ocassions 2009- Santas Challenges

Options

Comments

• sarahf191979
    Options
    15037.jpg

Ingredients (serves 20)
    • 850g dried mixed fruit
    • 1 cup brandy
    • 150g butter, softened
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • 3 eggs, at room temperature
    • 1 cup gluten-free plain flour
    • 1/4 cup gluten-free self-raising flour
    • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 3/4 cup blanched almonds
    • 1/4 cup apricot jam
    Method
    1. Place dried fruit and 2/3 cup brandy in a large airtight container. Mix well. Cover and stand overnight or preferably for 1 week, stirring occasionally.
    2. Preheat oven to 150°C. Lightly grease a 7cm deep, 20cm (base) round cake pan. Line base and side with double layers brown paper and baking paper (see note). Using electric beaters, cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
    3. Sift flours and spices over butter mixture. Add fruit mixture and stir until well combined. Press mixture into pan. Smooth surface. Decorate top with almonds.
    4. Bake cake for 2 to 2 1/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Pour remaining 1/3 cup brandy over hot cake. Allow to cool completely in pan.
    5. Place jam in a heatproof, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 30 seconds or until warm. Remove cake from pan and brush top with warm jam. Allow to set. Serve.
    Notes & tips
    • You will need to start this cake at least 1 day ahead.
    • Tip: To test if eggs are fresh before using, place eggs in a bowl and cover with cold water. Fresh eggs remain on the base of bowl, stale eggs will float.
    • Baking tips: Lightly grease cake pan. Line base and sides with double layer brown paper, then double layer baking paper, allowing a 6cm overhang at all sides. Position oven rack just below centre so cake sits in centre of oven.
    Spring has sprung at Taste.com.au so it's time to start thinking about barbecue recipes, picnic recipes and salad recipes. And don't forget we are always adding new recipes, too!
    For recipes classified gluten free, please always check your ingredients to ensure they do not contain gluten.
    Source
    Super Food Ideas - December 2006, Page 27

Recipe by Kerrie Sue
    Courtesy of: http://www.taste.com.au
    :D:D:D:D:D
    Where's the Coffee?? Show me the Coffee NOW!!
  • sarahf191979
    Options
    chocolatebuttercrunchparis%21.jpg

If you've never made candy, this one is really simple and incredibly delicious so there's no reason not to try a batch.
    (And truthfully, doesn't it make you feel happier just looking at it?)
    My recipe for Chocolate-Almond Buttercrunch Toffee is easy: You chop nuts, you make a syrup, and then you pour the syrup over the nuts. Sprinkle some chocolate over it, spread it out, and finish it with more nuts. That's it.
    There's no fancy techniques and the only special equipment you'll need is a candy thermometer; they're easily found in most supermarkets. (Yes, really. Take it from someone who lurks in supermarkets, searching for things like candy thermometers, late at night.)

When making candy, here's a few tips that'll help:
    • Read the recipe thoroughly before proceeding and have everything ready.
    • Make sure your thermometer is accurate. If you're not sure, bring a pot of water to a boil. It should read 212 degrees if you live at sea level. I use a glass candy thermometer, although the digital ones work as well. (Avoid the Polder thermometers with the cable, they're not intended for candymaking in spite of the packaging which reads to the contrary. If you do, they won't replace it. Trust me on that one too. Even if you tell them you write cookbooks and give cooking equipment recommendations for a living.)
    • Be careful dealing with hot syrups. A good precaution is to have a large bowl of iced water handy. If you spill syrup on your hand, plunge it immediately into the water to stop the burn.
    • The best way to clean a caramelized pan is to fill it with water and bring it to a boil. Let stand until the syrup melts away.
    • Every once in a while, candy doesn't work. Sometimes it's too humid, or the sugar decides to crystallize (don't encourage it by overstirring), or the planets aren't aligned. Don't get discouraged; it happens even to professionals.
    freshbuttercrunchchocolate.jpg

Chocolate-Almond Buttercrunch Toffee
    2 cups (8 ounces) toasted almonds or hazelnuts, chopped between 'fine' and 'coarse'
    2 tablespoons water
    1/2 cup (1 stick) salted or unsalted butter, cut into pieces
    a nice, big pinch of salt
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    5 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped, or 1 cup chocolate chips
    optional: Ground cocoa nibs and fleur de sel
    1. Lightly oil a baking sheet with an unflavored vegetable oil.
    2. Sprinkle half the nuts into a rectangle about 8' x 10" on the baking sheet.
    3. In a medium heavy-duty saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer, heat the water, butter, salt, and both sugars. Cook, stirring as little as possible, until the thermometer reads 300 F degrees. Have the vanilla and baking soda handy.
    4. Immediately remove from heat and stir in the baking soda and vanilla.
    5. Quickly pour the mixture over the nuts on the baking sheet. Try to pour the mixture so it forms a relatively even layer. (If necessary, gently but quickly spread with a spatula, but don't overwork it.)
    5. Strew the chocolate pieces over the top and let stand 2 minutes, then spread in an even layer.

spreadthatchocolate.jpg

If using, sprinkle with a small handful of cocoa nibs and a flurry of fleur des sel.
    Sprinkle the remaining nuts over the chocolate and gently press them in with your hands.
    Cool completely and break into pieces to serve. Store in an airtight container, for up to ten days.

Courtesy of: http://www.davidlebovitz.com
  • fedupandskint
    Options
    1. Graduate in Addiction Studies

2. move to the country with a range,open fire and a chimney and walk my dogs to the top of the hills every day
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • sarahf191979
    Options
    1.What have you done or achieved, that no one would really know unless you told them.

I speak fluent spanish and have an A-level A* in Spanish. The only time I tell anyboby is on My CV.

?Hola amiga's como esta? Feliz Navidad:xmassmile

;)

2. What would you like to do if you if you could, nothing for anyone else, just you!.

I would love to train to be a forensic scientist, would love to be a Crime Scene SOCO/ CSI.
  • rufusdog52
    rufusdog52 Posts: 3,972 Forumite
    Options
    Well this mini challenge is definitely a challenge. I cant think of anything like you lot have achieved that I have done lol. And cant think of what I would want for myself, probs comes from years of training my brain to look out for the rest of the family. Will have to get my thinking cap on if I can find it and let you know.
  • Ellie67
    Options
    Sorry to go off on a tangent but Poundland are opening 6 stores in Northern Ireland!!!!! I am so excited as we don't have any here and I am so jealous when I hear of the brillant bargains that you all get on the mainland. Think I might save up for the opening of the Belfast one so I can finish off my Christmas shoppping!! (Did I say finish, I haven't even started!!!!)
  • mary-op
    mary-op Posts: 3,605 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all................just got chance to log on. Training course all day and meeting at home with one of the lads at 5pm.
    Did get chance to cover the cheap diaries I got............only three of them.....ones in pink patterned paper with pink flower on the front and a ribbon stuck on that goes through the middle for a page marker
    The others are purple patterned and turquoise........same thing with the flower and ribbon.
    I'm quite pleased with them............have to get some more I think.
    Well..............OH's doing dinner and its about ready.

Have to have a think about mini challenge.........brain a bit numb at the mo............:rotfl:
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
  • mandragora_2
    Options
    1.What have you done or achieved, that no one would really know unless you told them.

I speak fluent spanish and have an A-level A* in Spanish. The only time I tell anyboby is on My CV.

Sorry - ningun tal grado en este momento- - I've no idea if my Spanish is correct (I used an online translation engine!), and I don't mean to have a 'pop' at you, but you do need to be careful if this is what you're putting on your cv :o.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • sammy_kaye18
    Options
    I am a trained anti bullying councillor since I was 15 years old. Was sent to seminars to teach adults how to deal with the effects of bullying on school children adn supported Esther Ranson on her anti bullying scheme for ChildLine at several events. As well as having 8 GCSEs, 4 A/S Levels and 3 A levels.

2. What would you like to do if you if you could, nothing for anyone else, just you!.
    I would like to be free of my panic attacks and phobia. They make life unbearable. I have had panic attacks since I was 15 years old and have a phobia of having an allergic reaction so I have eaten/drank/used/washed in nothing different in the last 10 years to the point tesco stopped my washing powder :eek: and its taken nearly 2 weeks for me to work up the nerve to wear an item of clothing washed in the new powder. Even a mouth ulcer starting - you know that funny weird feelign on your lip (the fuzzy type feeling) triggers panic attacks. :(
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • mary-op
    mary-op Posts: 3,605 Forumite
    Options
    Had a little think..............

Achievement - was a counsellor in the 1970's -really loved the job but had to leave due to lack of child care when OH at the time decided to up and leave

Would like to have cleaner and gardener - regular.........enough times a week for me not to have to do it..............and someone to 'organise' me.
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport