Amazon Prime Member Fee? Charged £48...

Options

Comments

• JaneArends
    Options
    very.angry! All I can hope is I get my refund back.. I did order whilst using the free trial but I haven't ordered anything since the free trial ended so I should still get it back, right?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JaneArends wrote: »
    very.angry!

You have every right to be very angry with yourself for not reading the very clear T&C of the offer.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    You have every right to be very angry with yourself for not reading the very clear T&C of the offer.
    :)..........
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Options
    LOL, honestly some people are too stupid to be allowed out on their own.
  • flabberghasted
    Options
    This morning I accessed my bank account and had less than I thought in there. I phoned the bank and they told me £49.00 was ringfenced to pay Amazon Prime. Not having bought anything from Amazon for a while I felt sure this was a mistake. I spent half an hour on the phone this morning to Amazon but they couldn't locate an account in my name. No surprise as I had never signed up to one. I went back to the bank - yes it was definitely Amazon Prime. I started to get very worried! How could money be going out of my account when I didn't have a so called Prime Membership.:eek:The girl I spoke to was at a loss how to help me. After 30 minutes on my mobile and no resolution I said I would call later and from home.

I rushed home from work and phoned them again, having waited 10 minutes for an answer. No there was no account in my name. I argued and queried until.... Yes they did have my card registered but to an account that was not in my name. I became very scared by this point!!!:eek: I was not allowed the name of whose account my card was linked to. They could take £49.00 but not tell me who for. By process of elimination (and after getting slightly hysterical thinking that someone was using my card fraudulently), I went through all my family's names and discovered the account was in my daughter's name.

After talking to my daughter we realised that she had ordered something in December 2010 from her address (different to mine) and with her card (different to mine) and had forgotten to cancel the trial Prime membership. They tried to get it three times from her account but couldn't as she didn't have the funds. They then must have gone through her payment history and I had paid for an item on her account in November 2009. THIS CLEARLY STATED MY NAME NEXT TO THE CARD BUT AMAZON STILL TOOK THE MONEY. HOW SCARY IS THAT!!!! AN ACCOUNT THAT WAS NOT IN THE NAME OF THE PERSON BEING DEBITED WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION. I will be making a complaint and feel amazed that a company could act in this way. I will never buy from Amazon again.:mad:

As my user name says I am completely flabberghasted. I was unable to cancel this payment from my bank as apparently Amazon are able to try all cards that have paid on an account no matter how long ago. PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS. These big companies have the power to do anything and it appears they get away with it time and time again. Let's give back power to the local supplier who you can talk to if there is a problem, not some huge corporation that has no soul. Local companies will be getting my money in future.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    This morning I accessed my bank account and had less than I thought in there. I phoned the bank and they told me £49.00 was ringfenced to pay Amazon Prime. Not having bought anything from Amazon for a while I felt sure this was a mistake. I spent half an hour on the phone this morning to Amazon but they couldn't locate an account in my name. No surprise as I had never signed up to one. I went back to the bank - yes it was definitely Amazon Prime. I started to get very worried! How could money be going out of my account when I didn't have a so called Prime Membership.:eek:The girl I spoke to was at a loss how to help me. After 30 minutes on my mobile and no resolution I said I would call later and from home.

I rushed home from work and phoned them again, having waited 10 minutes for an answer. No there was no account in my name. I argued and queried until.... Yes they did have my card registered but to an account that was not in my name. I became very scared by this point!!!:eek: I was not allowed the name of whose account my card was linked to. They could take £49.00 but not tell me who for. By process of elimination (and after getting slightly hysterical thinking that someone was using my card fraudulently), I went through all my family's names and discovered the account was in my daughter's name.

After talking to my daughter we realised that she had ordered something in December 2010 from her address (different to mine) and with her card (different to mine) and had forgotten to cancel the trial Prime membership. They tried to get it three times from her account but couldn't as she didn't have the funds. They then must have gone through her payment history and I had paid for an item on her account in November 2009. THIS CLEARLY STATED MY NAME NEXT TO THE CARD BUT AMAZON STILL TOOK THE MONEY. HOW SCARY IS THAT!!!! AN ACCOUNT THAT WAS NOT IN THE NAME OF THE PERSON BEING DEBITED WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION. I will be making a complaint and feel amazed that a company could act in this way. I will never buy from Amazon again.:mad:

As my user name says I am completely flabberghasted. I was unable to cancel this payment from my bank as apparently Amazon are able to try all cards that have paid on an account no matter how long ago. PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS. These big companies have the power to do anything and it appears they get away with it time and time again. Let's give back power to the local supplier who you can talk to if there is a problem, not some huge corporation that has no soul. Local companies will be getting my money in future.

That's very scary indeed - if it really is true.
  • clkaz
    clkaz Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    does no one here tick the button to switch off auto-upgrade :-s
  • Esoog
    Esoog Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    clkaz wrote: »
    does no one here tick the button to switch off auto-upgrade :-s

I have :D.....
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options

You can get your money back if your daughter cancels the membership without ordering anything.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

Can anybody confirm if checking a person's payment history and using a card (even one belonging to someone else) - as described by flabberghasted - is something that Amazon do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure