PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shopping on a very tight budget

Options
14567810»

Comments

• tango
    tango Posts: 13,110 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Kimberley,me not sure of recipies for slow cookers,sure there are some on here somewhere,hopefully someone will post soon ,and we can both have a look,tango :D
    Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hey Tango, are the cats back in the good books yet?
    On the subject of slow cookers, I dont have one at the moment, but am hoping to have one by the end of the summer, as tbh I dont think I would get much use out of one during the summer, so will be looking out for one in the sales, any recomendations anyone???
    Sue
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    [
    Go to your library and borrow:
    "How to Feed your family for £5 a day" by Bernadine Lawrence: ISBN: 0722525710
    If they don't have it, ask them if they can order you in a copy. The recipes are filling, healthy and although the prices are somewhat out of date, it is still a good little book to read through (includes a menu plan too)
    [/QUOTE]

Yes this is an excellent book used to borrow it from the library all the time years ago but haven't seen it since I moved 8 years ago.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kimberley wrote:
    I've had my slow cooker sitting in the corner of the kitchen after being used just once. Now i'm off to work 9.30 until 2.30 i want to start making meals in it again so that it's ready for once the kids come home from school. It's just that after looking at the recipes on here, i'm confused because the ingredients and how much of each item to used is not always shown. Any Help??? :confused:

I find with my SC it's a case of chuck in whatever I have, or whatever I fancy. i usually use chicken thighs, a piece of beef brisket or pork shoulder with what ever handfuls of veggies I have at the time. It always produces lots of liquid, so I often only use a splash if its a piece of meat plus veggies, or just a can of tomatoes if it is chilli (made with chopped pork shoulder) or curry (made with chicken thighs or legs)
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • tango
    tango Posts: 13,110 Forumite
    Options
    bulchy wrote:
    Hey Tango, are the cats back in the good books yet?
    On the subject of slow cookers, I dont have one at the moment, but am hoping to have one by the end of the summer, as tbh I dont think I would get much use out of one during the summer, so will be looking out for one in the sales, any recomendations anyone???
    Sue
    My little darlings have wormed their way back into my good books.....till the next time :D
    Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry about the chicken. One year one of my old neighbours cat ate part of the Christmas turkey.
  • emp501
    emp501 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    saraht wrote: »
    Hi Tango, you will manage just fine on your own, so stay positive.

To add to the already great advice, when you go shopping in the supermarkets always look low when you have located a product you want to buy- the most expensive brands are always put at eye level, cheaper brands are down by the floor!

Always meal plan and make a shopping list before you go, and stick to the list- it's so easy to add loads of extras in when you get there otherwise. If you take your kiddies with you, agree with them in advance about how many/which treat foods you will buy.

I'm desperately job-seeking and really need to save money right now - I went to the supermarket today and followed your advice... I scoped out the basics range online first and it was so true - most of the cheapest things I wanted were on the bottom shelf, things I'd never even noticed before. I took a shopping list and barely deviated from it, having written a meal plan last night. I did a fortnight's shop, with a few little luxuries and one-offs like birthday cards for the month - for £30. I've also factored in one home-made pudding for my mum and I each week, to last at least a couple of nights (hot cross bun and custard 'bread and butter pudding' and apple crumble this fortnight).

I've only just joined, but now I'm a bit addicted to these forums and have spent days trawling for recipes and ideas! Thanks guys... :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure