Earn upto £3,500 for 30 minutes work!!! 'Access to Learning Fund'

Comments

• bliss
    bliss Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    did u apply by email or was that jus how they let everyone know?
    Member of the 20p Savers Club: £2.60 saved since 24/04/06
    update: 08/10/06 apporx £40, not counted for a while!:T
  • no i handed in the from to the sso - as far as im aware you can only apply this way. im at my girlfriends not my uni address so they may have sent a letter but i checked my emails this morning and it was there
  • robhammond
    robhammond Posts: 63 Forumite
    Bliss

"Do you think i will get something? I wont be able to apply until april 26th when i go back to uni, but this is 2days after loan and grant should be paid into my account. "

Hi as a single parent you should get a decent award. Regardless of your loan and grant being paid as you apply. I would mention the complications with your loan award - as they will take it into account.

"Jus could do with some advice as to what to write on the form etc."

I can't abviously give specific advice on your application as I do not know your entire circumstances. However, I would structure your statement around the fact that you are a single parent. Mention the fact that the students loan company does want money back from you also. Explain about your limited earning capabilities & how expensive raising children is!!

Good Luck!
  • ez123_2
    ez123_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi...I'm going to apply as soon as uni starts...I'm more than half way through my overdraft and have about £500 to pay off on my credit card. As well as this I have to put down a £400 deposit for my accomodation for next year when i get back. It's also a years let, so the contract starts in July and I have to pay rent during the summer months. Will that be taken into account?
  • robhammond
    EZ123

I can't say for sure that you will get anything it depends on a lot of factors. However, they will take into account the summer rent ( although they may ask you to apply to the summer fund in June/July). However, they will not consider your credit cards - they are not seen as 'priority' debts and therefore are disregarded.
  • bliss
    Hi rob thanx for the advice, its not me thats the single parent... i come from a single parent family... my dad is the single parent. and cant afford to support me! Is this taken into account that my mum does not give any support and never has done?
  • robhammond
    Bliss

Oops sorry!

You may still be awarded but it will be tougher to convince them. They will take it into consideration that factor.

I think that you really need to stress that you may not recieve an April Student Loan payment and that you perhaps regard it as a 'crisis'. Explain in detail why it has happened and that your family is not in a position to help you out.

I would get onto the Students Loan Company as soon as possible to sort it out. Also, I would recommend seeing a Student Advisor at your Uni - they can be a lot more specific with advice for you.

Good Luck!
  • bliss
    Thankyou so much. I will do this when i go to uni next week to hand my assessments in. And we'll see where it takes me eh!
  • Kruger
    Kruger Posts: 99 Forumite
    Good news update!

I've been given a grant of £1500 well happy with that and means that aside from the student loan I will graduate without any other debt and shouldbe a few hundred pounds in credit!

I'd have like to have seen their reaction though when they saw all my matched betting transactions, lol
    I want to take on capitalism, but cant get the day off work....
  • Glad my taxes are being used so well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport