Earn upto £3,500 for 30 minutes work!!! 'Access to Learning Fund'

Comments

• aav
    aav Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I would just like to say this is a fantastic thread. I had been thinking about applying for
    the grant but was put off by the amount of paperwork and documents required. I have finally plucked up the courage to fill out the form and have locked myself in my room, turned off the TV and filled it out. The main reason I am applying for this is because of my credit card debts. If I can get those paid off then that would be a huge relif of my shoulders.

I just wanted to know what is the average amount people receive and what is the maximum?

I have about £900 in credit card debts and that is my main problem. I have maxed out my overdraft of £1250 and have worked out once I pay this quaters accommodation fee I will have about £70 left then I would be compleatly maxecd out. So I am hoping that I get the grant and within a couple of weeks.

Do you know because it is easter there would be a longer waiting time?

How do you find out if you have been given the grant is it by letter?

Just to repeat I think this is a fantastic thread!!!!!
  • dreamer2
    dreamer2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    I understand they want your last three months bank statements..........do you therefore have to be up to or near your overdraught limit in order to apply?

Also, i have payments going out of my account each month such as morgage, loan etc but it is not by direct debit, they are taken out on a specific date each month through my internet banking-would they question this?

I live with my boyfriend but am finacially independant-will they take my word for this or automatically assume he supports me?

Do they take into account car tax, MOT etc as i NEED my car for placements but find it a huge financial drain!!! I have all these car outgoings coming up in the next 3 months so thought this may be a good time to apply for the fund??

Thanks for any advice in advance!!
  • Is this hardship fund the same as the contingincy fund?... Because i applied for the latter fund for a new computer and help with my rent a couple of months ago and I am now entitled to £500. I am so happy because my family cannot help me out a great deal and I found it encouraging to know that my uni has a meeting every week to discuss who should receive the fund; hence, a quite speedy response to the effort of filling in the funding form itself :j
  • robhammond
    robhammond Posts: 63 Forumite
    aav

"I would just like to say this is a fantastic thread."

Thank you :D

"I just wanted to know what is the average amount people receive and what is the maximum?"

That's a tough one really as no too cases are the same. The lowest award that I know of was around £500 most are around £1,000 - £2,000 and a few are the full £3,500. Like I say though it really does depend on the individual circumstances of the cases.

"Do you know because it is easter there would be a longer waiting time?"

It is a possibility, I can't say for sure though.

"How do you find out if you have been given the grant is it by letter?"

Yes it is always by letter.

dreamer2

"do you therefore have to be up to or near your overdraught limit in order to apply?"

No not at all, although if by chance you were they would perhaps consider you a priority case.They focus on your income & expenditure & use your statements to verify what you say.

"they are taken out on a specific date each month through my internet banking-would they question this?"

Explain in the written statement what they are, also try to provide evidence of it i.e. the mortgage & loan information from the financial institutions that you hold them with.

"I live with my boyfriend but am finacially independant-will they take my word for this or automatically assume he supports me?"

If you are financially independent of him then you do not need to declare him. However if he pays half the rent, then only put down the figure you pay in rent in the income & expenditure part of the form etc.

"I have all these car outgoings coming up in the next 3 months so thought this may be a good time to apply for the fund??"

If your car is a neccessity of your placement then they can support you with that. However, try to make your application more general i.e. the money is to support your daily living costs rather than car specific.

becciboo

"Is this hardship fund the same as the contingincy fund?"

It probably is, they call them different names at different Unis. I think they have moved away from calling it the hardship fund because of the stigma associated with the name. The Access to Learning Fund or Contingency Fund does make you feel less like a charity case and more like a student who deserves some support through Uni.

I hope this has been of help,

Rob
  • Can I just add a caveat to what Rob has said. It really does vary from institution to institution. The DfES has guidelines on how the Access to Learning Fund operates and some places interprete these very rigidly. I have to say to my clients - apply but help is not guaranteed. There are set figures for working out income and expenditure and a single student with no dependents will be very unlikely to come out with a shortfall unless they are in their final year.

By all means apply and get your students union advice centre to check the application over but some universities are more generous than others. It is not a "Help I'm Skint" Fund - it is targetted at specific groups e.g students with children, students with disabilities.

It is always worth applying - it takes about 20 mins to fill in the form and if you don't apply you definitely won't get anything but remember that help is not guaranteed.
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
  • z4kir
    z4kir Posts: 455 Forumite
    As a matter of interest I decided to look at my university's website to download the form and I came across an online version: http://www.studentfunds.co.uk/
    Alternatively, you can fill out an online version of the ALF application form through the studentfunds.co.uk service. This is a new way of applying to ALF which is being piloted at a number of universities. The system will only ask you questions relating to your own circumstances, making the whole process as quick and simple as possible. It will guide you through the information you need to provide step-by-step and let you save information to return to later. You can also use the system to check that there aren't any other sources of funding available to you.

I have not actually checked out the website myself yet, but will do asap

*EDIT* I have just tried to access the website and cannot get it to load, amI the only one?
    SLC: £13000+

Quidco
    : £
    131.24 (paid) + £0 (validated) = £131.24
    Valued Opinions
    : £75 (paid) + £52.30 (received) + £4.50 (pending) = £131.80
    StudentPanel: £25
  • My Uni has this fund but as of the middle of February it ran out of money, my advice is to get in while you can.

It is a pain they need lots of evidence of income/expenditure. Im a single (mature) student with three children and got £300 for the year.
  • Goldilox
    Goldilox Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I got £900 from my university just for applying. My mate was given £2000!! It's really great because you don't have to pay it back. There is no harm in applying! They are especially generous to final year students I believe!
    Lightbulb Moment: 15/04/06 :j

Regularly check:

YOUGOV

SURVEYSPARK

MONEYANDFREEBIES

PUREPROFILE

Internet Earning All ADDS up!
  • bliss
    bliss Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You say you don't need to be near the end of your overdraft? I'm only £400 overdrawn and with the next lot of loan payments goin in soon i probably wont get anything will i? However im in a single parent family and struggles to give me help.

I was written to by the loan people who have said that because my dad didnt send a form back about his benefits they are now doing a nonmean tested assessment, and now want me to pay the 1175£ tuition fees which i was told would be paid by LEA, also they want 600£ back from "overpayments" from the past 2 loan payments and wil,l only be paying me 300£ in the april installment. My accomodation for next tern is 500quid so this will proabbly take me to over 600pound overdrawn.

The thing with the student loan will probably be sorted out as my dad will send the form off, but he no longer receives benefits. So i might not get the loan or anything for april payment?

Do you think i will get something? I wont be able to apply until april 26th when i go back to uni, but this is 2days after loan and grant should be paid into my account.

Jus could do with some advice as to what to write on the form etc.
    Member of the 20p Savers Club: £2.60 saved since 24/04/06
    update: 08/10/06 apporx £40, not counted for a while!:T
  • I got an email today saying my application was unsuccessful, im a bit disappointed but it didnt takelong to apply. Oh well looks like solid work during the summer!

Thanks again to robhammond for his help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport