We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Earn upto £3,500 for 30 minutes work!!! 'Access to Learning Fund'

Options

Comments

• student_advisor
    Options
    tonydtiger wrote: »
    Hi Guys and Girls

Here's my situation

Im 26, Living at home with the mother who doesnt earn alot so ive been trying to help out while I was in work, I owe £3000 on my girlfriend's which needs paying every month. And the usual other costs like petrol and car insuance which would be quite high due to me driving to the Uni every day.

Ive got everything I can from the LEA, Full loan/grant and fees.

Im planning on paying the rent and credit card upto Jan2008 as soon as I get my first payment from the SFD, which isnt going to leave me with much to live on.

Would anyone think that I would be able to get anything or would I be wasting my time applying?

Thanks in advance

It's always worth applying and some debts will be taken into account, however, you are unlikely to be awarded enough to live on.
  • student_advisor
    Options
    ElleBelle wrote: »
    Hey all!

I'm new here, but noticed this post and thought I'd ask for some advice as I have no idea if it is worth me applying or not. Basically my circumstances are:

I'm going into my first year of university. I am disabled and get incapacity & DLA benefits and hopefully housing benefit along with my loan and Special support grant. I am supporting myself independantly without my parents contributing. My fiances are okish, I have applied for DSA for some bits and peices but overall my costs are more expensive than some other just because of the nature of my disability (for example i have to buy more microwavable meals as I can't cook on my own, and I have to buy a lot more books as I can't always make it to the library etc.) I have also managed to get a grant from a local charity.

My thinking was that it just wasn't worth applying this year as I already have a full grant etc. and I should hopefully be able to live off it all *just*! But seeing as it appears that I'm in one of the highlighted groups and the nature of this post i thought I'd see if anyone had any advice!

If nothing else I think I'd be more eligable in my third year, my course means 1 year in American and that year I loose all my benefits after 6 months which basically means my income will be halfed.

Anyway any advice would be great!

Thanks

Elle s

If you don't ask, you don't get, so you should consider applying. Some of your current income will be included in the calculation, but not all of it. If you are awarded a grant and can manage to live without it, you could save it for your year abroad.
  • Moneysavingginge
    Options
    It's always worth applying and some debts will be taken into account, however, you are unlikely to be awarded enough to live on.
    No harm in trying I guess, Thanks for the reply.
  • LaurenNorwich
    Options
    I got help from the Access to Learning fund in both my final undergraduate year and in my postgraduate year. Each time I applied towards the end of the year as reduced my part time work in order to concentrate on dissertations/final assessments. From memory the university encouraged my application and I had to provide bank statements/loan forms/etc as well as a statement as to why I needed financial help. It is definately worth applying for if you need help.
  • madkid88
    Options
    Hey guys its still not late to apply for this is it, thanks
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can apply all the way through the academic year and during the summer you can also try for the summer fund.
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • katyvrogers
    Options
    Just a quick query.

I am studying on my second degree and are therefore not entitled to help from by LEA. I have a secend student loan for maintenance but not the part for tuition fee support ( so I pay the £1200/year myself).

Am I eligable to apply?

Any help much appreciated-thanks!
  • Stu_Dent
    Stu_Dent Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    Hey everyone,

just a quick question..

im just filling in all these forms and as many of you know it is a requirement to provide all bank statements for the past 3 months.

unfortunately i dont have statements delivered home anymore, they are all online, therefore am i allowed to print off the last three months activity off my ebanking accounts?

thanks in advance!

Stu
  • Gytha_Ogg
    Gytha_Ogg Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you should be, it's best if it shows your name on it though, so they know it has definitely come from your account.

If it doesn't, perhaps take something with you that shows both your account number and name, like your debit card, so they can see the numbers match.
  • DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - I submitted e-statement copies last time I applied.
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family