Earn upto £3,500 for 30 minutes work!!! 'Access to Learning Fund'

Options

Comments

• DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    I am wondering about this, even though I don't fit into any of the categories mentioned in the first post. My parents, until June, ran their own fairly successful business. However, the lease on their premises ran out, and for a pathetic reason was not renewed, so they now no longer have a job, and so obviously no income.

When I applied for a student loan I didn't choose to be income assessed as their would have been no point (as you are assessed on last years financial records), and so now I have a situation where my parents earn well below the limits for grants, but I will not be getting any. Do you think this is a suitable way to go to get help, or should I look at other ways?

If it helps, I am (as of today :D) going to Oxford.

Apply to your LEA to be reassessed. My dad lost his job during the first year of my first degree, an I got an emergency reassessment...
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • bamboozled2
    Options
    A belated thanks for this access fund info, when my daughter went to college I did'nt apply for ema initially, thinking we were just over the limit. Then she came home and told me of two friends with self employed dads, (big houses, holidays all over, numerous cars on the drive) one got the full £30 per month and the other £20. I applied and she got £10, (and saved every penny for going to uni).The next year I applied again, and she was refused. :confused:
    After reading this thread I applied to the college for access funding to help with transport costs, which were £460 per year, explaining she had been refused ema, but our wages had risen due to overtime my husband done to pay for home improvements, they replied explaining how they prioritise the funding, and after a short wait they paid £280 of the transport costs.:T
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bumping up (again :)) for the start of the new year
    :happyhear
  • fidgetgreen
    Options
    Hey, is it possible to appyl before u start uni, im going into my second year and have been jobless all summer. I owe £700 before i move into my new house and have to get that in two weeks...my family cant help me and my loan wont come in time.. i am £2000 overdrawn
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    Are you single and do you have dependents?

I guess if neither of those apply it will depend on your reasons for not working as I believe it is expected that students will support themselves with work through the summer.

You could just email your uni and ask the financial support person (not sure what the job title is!) They will probably be in student (welfare) services department.
  • conspirator
    Options
    Last award for me was lousy considering my circumstances but acceptable due to the no-repay part of ALF.

£380
    Quidco:
    Start Date: 03/09/07
    £51.12 GBP:D
    Comping wins:
    Start Date: 03/09/07
    Trend micro internet suite, Eminem Encore album, john Legend single :rolleyes:
    Test & Vote:
    Start Date: 05/09/07
    2000 :o
  • bwgames
    bwgames Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I applied in May, and rather a lot :eek::D (but I had a lot of extenuating circumstances, such as having to pay two lots of rent and solicitor fees :eek: ), is there any point in applying this year, or will the rather large sum I got last year be taken into account? If anything, my finances have improved since then, due to work over the summer.... But will still need some money, as a lot of it is going on rent/bills this year :(

Or should I wait until the end of the year and use overdraft to the max in the interim?
  • student_advisor
    Options
    Don't see why you can't apply again this year if you need it - that's what it's there for.

They shouldn't take into account last year unless you were awarded a loan which you didn't pay back. Grants shouldn't be considered.

You will be assessed on your circumstances as they stand this academic year.

Last award for me was lousy considering my circumstances but acceptable due to the no-repay part of ALF.

NB ALF funds will depend on your circumstances and the amount of money the institution gets (my institution getsless than £10k, the one down the road gets £250k due to respective numbers of HE learners)
  • Moneysavingginge
    Options
    Hi Guys and Girls

Here's my situation

Im 26, Living at home with the mother who doesnt earn alot so ive been trying to help out while I was in work, I owe £3000 on my girlfriend's which needs paying every month. And the usual other costs like petrol and car insuance which would be quite high due to me driving to the Uni every day.

Ive got everything I can from the LEA, Full loan/grant and fees.

Im planning on paying the rent and credit card upto Jan2008 as soon as I get my first payment from the SFD, which isnt going to leave me with much to live on.

Would anyone think that I would be able to get anything or would I be wasting my time applying?

Thanks in advance
  • ElleBelle_3
    Options
    Hey all!

I'm new here, but noticed this post and thought I'd ask for some advice as I have no idea if it is worth me applying or not. Basically my circumstances are:

I'm going into my first year of university. I am disabled and get incapacity & DLA benefits and hopefully housing benefit along with my loan and Special support grant. I am supporting myself independantly without my parents contributing. My fiances are okish, I have applied for DSA for some bits and peices but overall my costs are more expensive than some other just because of the nature of my disability (for example i have to buy more microwavable meals as I can't cook on my own, and I have to buy a lot more books as I can't always make it to the library etc.) I have also managed to get a grant from a local charity.

My thinking was that it just wasn't worth applying this year as I already have a full grant etc. and I should hopefully be able to live off it all *just*! But seeing as it appears that I'm in one of the highlighted groups and the nature of this post i thought I'd see if anyone had any advice!

If nothing else I think I'd be more eligable in my third year, my course means 1 year in American and that year I loose all my benefits after 6 months which basically means my income will be halfed.

Anyway any advice would be great!

Thanks

Elle s
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business