Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Options

Comments

• nhoneymonster
    nhoneymonster Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    sfx wrote: »
    I received an email from 'Planet49 & MyOffers' today, saying

Congratulations! You have just been nominated to be our possible winner!
    We are happy to announce you that you are one of our Lucky three selected to win one Apple Product:
    With an Ipad, Iphone and IMac.

I assume its a scam but most scams are less precise, I havent had many that have said I was one of 3. I clicked the link and there doesnt seem to be any viruses attached but I have heard bad things about the site. Is it a scam? 95% sure but I thought I'd ask. Cheers.

I think basically they just want to get your email address to bombard you with spam. I foolishly gave these details before becoming suspicious, I think the fact it came from My Offers made me think it was genuine. I didn't complete the process but I think I've had a few emails because of it, although I get so much spam anyway I haven't noticed a big increase.
  • poodledoodledoo
    poodledoodledoo Posts: 2,001 Forumite
    Options
    sfx wrote: »
    I received an email from 'Planet49 & MyOffers' today, saying

Congratulations! You have just been nominated to be our possible winner!
    We are happy to announce you that you are one of our Lucky three selected to win one Apple Product:
    With an Ipad, Iphone and IMac.

I assume its a scam but most scams are less precise, I havent had many that have said I was one of 3. I clicked the link and there doesnt seem to be any viruses attached but I have heard bad things about the site. Is it a scam? 95% sure but I thought I'd ask. Cheers.
    If you read that VERY carefully you will see that it doesn't actually say you have a one in three chance of winning. It just kind of implies it ;)
    Very naughty and also very annoying :mad:
    Thanks to everyone who posts comps, I love winning prizes big and small
    :A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A
  • Fliss_M
    Fliss_M Posts: 695 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zigzigzag wrote: »
    Received a call (from 02075800818) saying congratulations I had "won" a comp for a "free" makeover and photoshoot, including unlimited champagne, at a studio in Oxford Circus, London: Studio London. All they needed from me was a booking fee of £40/£60, which would be refunded to me after the shoot. No photos were included in the "free" prize, but I would be able to purchase photos if I wanted; I asked about prices but they wouldn't give me any. They tried to get me to agree to book in the next few days. I said I couldn't as I needed to get my hair cut first! I said I would ring them back.

Then I googled their number (and looked at whocallsme.com) - all the results indicated that they are a telemarketing scam, some people said they mis-use your credit card details, others say they get you tipsy on champagne and then pressure-sell their photos at extortionate prices (hundreds of pounds).

I haven't phoned them back, and funnily enough they haven't phoned me back either. Scam. :mad:

LOL! Their called saphire studios. Its not so much a scam and yet is. You do get a make over and the works. But you have to pay them upto 99.98 in advance to secure your booking which is refunded on the day and then you will get a hard sell as there are no free photos in that package. I got them myself after entering a comp on madeformums. Only I went and PAID! :eek:

But after googling I called them back and after a few phonecalls that same day got a refund (under the long distance selling trading standards giving you 7 days cool off time) THANK GOD!

"edit to add they also said "won" a comp. Very underhand!"
    4 children, 2 cars, 2 full time working parents, large detached house and the will to save every money saving penny we can
  • nhoneymonster
    nhoneymonster Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Think I might have had a similar call a while ago, saying I could have a makeover and photoshoot for me and some friends and asking for a deposit, I declined.
  • lex
    lex Posts: 266 Forumite
    Options
    I think basically they just want to get your email address to bombard you with spam. I foolishly gave these details before becoming suspicious, I think the fact it came from My Offers made me think it was genuine. I didn't complete the process but I think I've had a few emails because of it, although I get so much spam anyway I haven't noticed a big increase.

I got this email as well today - shame it isn't really an ipad!

lex
    Competition wins -
    May 09 - Horrid Henry book box set, 8GB ipod touch, Jan 10 - Creme Egg keyring, 4 Ripley's Believe it or not museum tickets! Feb 10 - Annabel Karmel snacks, Disney laptop, tumble tots back pack, tumble tots DVD, basket of fruit,
    Mar 10 - Farm Frenzy 3 PC game, GHD styler carry case, May 10 - 44 inch chest DVD
  • avvie
    avvie Posts: 6,520 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    shame about these, i truely hope not many people have fallen for the scammers trap :(
    October2022 Wins -2 ~Tshirt x2 2022 Wins ~ 5 *TShirtx3*7UP*ChupaChupsBundle
  • adalef
    adalef Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    zigzigzag wrote: »
    Received a call (from 02075800818) saying congratulations I had "won" a comp for a "free" makeover and photoshoot, including unlimited champagne, at a studio in Oxford Circus, London: Studio London. All they needed from me was a booking fee of £40/£60, which would be refunded to me after the shoot. No photos were included in the "free" prize, but I would be able to purchase photos if I wanted; I asked about prices but they wouldn't give me any. They tried to get me to agree to book in the next few days. I said I couldn't as I needed to get my hair cut first! I said I would ring them back.

Then I googled their number (and looked at whocallsme.com) - all the results indicated that they are a telemarketing scam, some people said they mis-use your credit card details, others say they get you tipsy on champagne and then pressure-sell their photos at extortionate prices (hundreds of pounds).

I haven't phoned them back, and funnily enough they haven't phoned me back either. Scam. :mad:

I just had a miss call from this number. Think I will be ignoring it!
    Thank you to all of the posters for their hard work!
  • Amilucky?
    Amilucky? Posts: 13,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a heads up that I have just received an email with the header "Congratulations . You Won Couple of Season Tickets At PremeirLeauge 2011"

if you receive the above email do not click on the link and provide any details as it is a scam the senders have nothing to do with Barclays Bank or The Alliance and Leicester

Best of Luck :)
  • QPR10
    QPR10 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the warning Amilucky.

Who would want to watch Premiership football this season when you can see the mighty QPR storm their way to the top of the championship, well at least till our next game, we are top of the league.
  • Amilucky?
    Amilucky? Posts: 13,790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    QPRanger wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning Amilucky.

Who would want to watch Premiership football this season when you can see the mighty QPR storm their way to the top of the championship, well at least till our next game, we are top of the league.

hopefully they will remain top and be back in the premiership soon ;)

Best of Luck :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure