Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Options

Comments

• bethesda
    bethesda Posts: 539 Forumite
    Options
    laurenjs88 wrote: »
    are the competitions on get me a ticket all scams?

no my hubby won on there a few months back. he didn't actually get the prize stated but they sent a cheque instead
  • Ciriusly
    Ciriusly Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Last Friday, a Purely Creative scratchcard slithered out of a magazine I was reading. Upon scratching, it revealed that I have won a holiday for two in Turkey.

Naturally sceptical, I did some research online which showed that it is very likely a scam. I'm now writing an article about it, and looking to talk to anyone who has had very negative experiences with Purely Creative's scratchcard.

Please email me at [EMAIL="cynthia.wamwayi@gmail.com"]cynthia.wamwayi@gmail.com[/EMAIL] if you'd like to share your story. It will be published at the University of Westminster's Smoke magazine.

Regards,

Cynthia
    June 2010 Wins: Flights to Germany, PG Tips tea vouchers for a year, £100 Wagamama voucher, Tickets to the AEGON International Tennis Tournament in Eastbourne, Bon Jovi O2 concert tickets, Goodwood Festival of Speed tickets
  • Fliss_M
    Fliss_M Posts: 695 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could I ask you guys something,

I cant believe I have fallen for this. A certain photo studio whos name I wont mention i case I get similar emails that others have reported. Made out like it was a comp win, yes they got £99.98 out of me and I realised it wasnt a comp after I hung up and all the rest. PRIZE PRAT!!!!! You could not make me feel any worse. TRUST ME! Well, I tried to cancel the payment,they already had it. But I have called them straight back, their manager called me back and seemed happy to give me a refund (I suspect it was the unemployed husband bit that did it. Thats right, am skint, you aint getting no money for photos out of me!) So I await an email fingers crossed. Provided an email turns up soon I will be overall happy with them.

To the point. Am I right in thinking (I need to get my mind right here) that if you win NO MONEY CHANGES HANDS. I have hear of postage costs etc and unless your talking a car so yes, you gotta get your own insurance which is a cost, it should all be covered by the promotor? I'd gotten myself into a tizz thinking I'd won something and that I had missed it so I think all that was taking over my sensible side.

I guess I know the answer but in big letters may help drill it home ;-)
    4 children, 2 cars, 2 full time working parents, large detached house and the will to save every money saving penny we can
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Options
    not sure if mentoned already on MSE, but there's another 'win a (£3million??) house' comp doing the rounds.. tickets £25 each, though you can win one (entry ticket, not the house!) separately..

now why would they want to give away tickets?? and if not enough tckets do get sold, does the 'winner' get the pool? and what are the 'deductions for costs/charity donations ' goona be..?
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • lizzie9876543
    lizzie9876543 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    I got a letter telling me that i had won one of a few prizes ranging from money to a camera, they say i can send off for a claim number or ring an 09066659913 number
    they also state that i will have to pay p an p for my winnings...does it sound dodgy?
    Thank you to all the lovely posters on here!!! xx:heart2:xx
  • BearsBlueGirl
    Options
    I got a letter telling me that i had won one of a few prizes ranging from money to a camera, they say i can send off for a claim number or ring an 09066659913 number
    they also state that i will have to pay p an p for my winnings...does it sound dodgy?

I got the same letter and so did my mum! Sounds well dodgy so binned mine.

Blue x
    And I won't sit down and I won't shut up
    And most of all I will not grow up! :p
    Frank Turner/Photosynthesis
  • amiza
    amiza Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Read this before you make that call!

blogs mirror co uk watch dog takes scratchcards

and this!

oft gov uk new and updates press 2010

(sorry money saving expert wouldn't allow me to post a link - this is to stop spammers clogging the system!!!!)

Yes I fell for it first and then did the research, what a fool!

Apparently I have won a 6 night stay in turkey for two in a 4 star hotel all inclusive and £10 on another card.....I'm not hopeful. It has so far cost me £20 for calls and two 2nd class stamps, which I think is worth the ''free'' hotel stay, however I will NOT be sending anymore money.

Good luck Purely Creative, Whoopydoo, Fireball Media.... which ever one you are!
  • lizzie9876543
    Options
    oh thank you, iv thrown it away now, sorry to hear about that loss of money xx
    Thank you to all the lovely posters on here!!! xx:heart2:xx
  • mandycr
    mandycr Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Attention: Prize Winner

Your Email id has won £1,500,000.00 Pounds in the Liverwood award, held in June 2010. For claims send form;
    Complete Name...
    Contact Address...
    Telephone..
    Occupation..

Tel: 00447031802258
    Liverwood Inc

received today i wont be replying
    best win in 2011:eek: 4 nights in Las Vegas :eek:
    2011 wins £8,752.00
  • mandycr
    mandycr Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 June 2010 at 4:01PM
    Options
    anyone receive emails from free-choice.co.uk i have been receiving emails saying i have a 1 in 3 chance of winning 1 of 3 apple products havnt entered details ?????

just received another email at my other email add one says my maiden name and the other says my married name how do they know both my names ???
    best win in 2011:eek: 4 nights in Las Vegas :eek:
    2011 wins £8,752.00
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport