DMP Mutual Support Thread (Part 6)

Options

Comments

• emmiloam
    emmiloam Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

I thought I should come on and give a little update as to where we are.

I've only posted a few times, but do read all posts daily, but know there are a few newer members so thought I'd let you know how we're getting on.

We're now into month 5 of our dmp with CCCS and so far so good.

We have 5 creditors of which 4 accepted our offer and stopped interest and charges. Halifax CC did charge us in the first month, but we called them and they refunded the interest and the charges.

The only creditor that still hasn't agreed is Northern Rock. We have been making our payment to them each month and received a final notice from them last week for payment in full (£22k) within 14 days (obviously I'm able to pay that eh)!! We're not overly concerned and will just keep on paying what we can. We have our first review on Friday so we're hoping to up it a bit which may keep them quiet for a while (you never know).

My husband works on a basic + Commission basis so we've been putting away his commission regularly to offer F&F's when we've got enough. I know CCCS aren't huge fans of this and would rather you split the money so we'll decide what to do nearer the time. Hubby has also taken on another job delivering pizza for Pizza Hut and it's working out really well. He say's it's "easy money" and every penny he gets from there goes into our savings so hopefully can reduce dfd a lot quicker than anticipated. Plus he only does a few hours at the weekend once the kids are in bed, so we're all happy!

Anyway, that's me for now.

Will try to post more, but don't always have the time, but as I say I do read all posts with huge interest.

Good luck everyone
    E
  • saskia1
    saskia1 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all my lovely fellow dmp's!!

blimey - last posted on thurs & already we are on a new thread & more peeps! superb!

have just sat & sent off 2nd token paymenst to my lovely creditors - cccs are 're-arranging' our dmp have had our hsbc managed loan taken off of the dmp.

so just wrote out 8 cheques & sent with the cccs notification sheet (which looks rubbish photocopied a 100 times - but as many of you have said - they don't care what you write on - we are account numbers - certianly not people.

i have sent probably more than i should do - probably more than cccs will offer - but june will be a nice pay day as will have no loan repayments (start in july) so thought it would look good. Am i mad?? should i have just sent a £1?? oh well - done now.

am getting deafult notices through the post like no -ones business - bring it on!:rotfl:

but like some of you - wish i'd known about dmp before i took out a secured loan on my house as well - if i could turn back time..............

anyway - just wanted to say ''hi''

went to tesco earlier & spent £39.96 (week food shop) - v pleased as our tesco is a huge supersore with all the tempting dvds / books / cds as you walk in & pre LBM would have walked out with loads -all on the cc of course!!

have good eve's

sas
    Massive !! LBM June 09 - Debts [STRIKE]£70k [/STRIKE]:eek: now £63k (PPI Claim succesfull)

will never ever ever get credit again (couldn't if i wanted!!!! - LOL - have to laugh, keeps me sane.

DFD 9 years away......................
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all !

I actually spoke to a creditor this evening :eek: ... the thing I have been dreading for weeks.

As soon as I picked up the phone and there was a pause I just knew - but I stood my ground and told her I had written a letter. She said maybe they hadn't received it... funny I said - you managed to cash the cheque I had enclosed :rotfl: Anyway I explained that I was starting a DMP with CCCS and they would be in touch in the next couple of days if not already. She took the case number and said she had amended my details. And that was that.

I know its not much - but I feel a bit stronger for actually speaking to her, standing my ground... and not going up in a puff of smoke from the stress of it all :D

Small steps - I just needed to share with people who understand ;)
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE]
    LBM - May 2009 :idea: [STRIKE]Debt - £40K[/STRIKE] :eek: now £20K :cool:
    Debt Free - 2015 (or before with some effort) :T
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No. 319 :D
  • Bahamas
    Bahamas Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm still pretty new and coming to grips with everything. Sorry to but in but I need some advice. I have a pretty large debt that my OH doesn't know about (for very valid reasons!) He tried to get a loan today for some home improvements and the lender told him there was a default at this address and that he should speak to his wife:eek:!! Are they allowed to do this. He asked me about it but I was terrified :o and feigned ignorance. Can anyone tell me if there is any way I can get him "disassociated" from my debt as he's extremely careful with his money and my stupidity shouldnot affect him! Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks to all for the support, the forums are very comforting and informative:rotfl:
    Yes, I am dealing with my debts:beer:
    LBM 01/01/09 DMP start: 01/06/09

DFD: 2014 ish:mad: :eek: DMP Mutual support no. 313
  • cocker100
    cocker100 Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    Bahamas wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm still pretty new and coming to grips with everything. Sorry to but in but I need some advice. I have a pretty large debt that my OH doesn't know about (for very valid reasons!) He tried to get a loan today for some home improvements and the lender told him there was a default at this address and that he should speak to his wife:eek:!! Are they allowed to do this. He asked me about it but I was terrified :o and feigned ignorance. Can anyone tell me if there is any way I can get him "disassociated" from my debt as he's extremely careful with his money and my stupidity shouldnot affect him! Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks to all for the support, the forums are very comforting and informative:rotfl:

Hiya,

By disclosing to your husband that there was a default registered at your address and implying that you were responsible for it, this firm have breeched the Data Protection Act 1998.

If you want to report them for it, then you need to contact the Information Commissioner.

As for disassociating him from your debt, it depends on your circumstances. Do you have a joint mortgage or any other joint credit? If so, then it would be difficult and the only way you could do it would be to remove yourself from the mortgage, making it in his name only. But obviously, he would need to know about it.

Could you not talk to your husband about your debt? Maybe then you could reach a solution! A lot of other people on this thread keep their debt secret from there partner, but most here believe that having everything out in the open is the best option.

Hope this helps,

Cocker:)
  • Bahamas
    Bahamas Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Cocker!! I have no financial association with him at all, no joint account and the mortgage is solely in his name. (That was deliberate on my part as I didn't want my debt problem to affect him). Any idea how I can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner and proceed with the disassociation?:confused:

I wish I could tell him and maybe I will when I've made some progress with my DMP. I started on 1 June with a 2014 DFD:eek:, but I am hopeful to be able to negotiate a few F&F settlements with the smaller amounts!!:A
    Yes, I am dealing with my debts:beer:
    LBM 01/01/09 DMP start: 01/06/09

DFD: 2014 ish:mad: :eek: DMP Mutual support no. 313
  • ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening all!

And a number for kew63: 318.

All very quiet with my DMP (It helps that I changed phone nos, though I do intend to let them know. Eventually...), paid off one of my creditors this week, just waiting for confirmation. Doesn't really make much difference as I was only paying them £1 a month... but that's one less creditor to worry about.
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Can I have a number too :D

Think I'm going to be around for a while ;)
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE]
    LBM - May 2009 :idea: [STRIKE]Debt - £40K[/STRIKE] :eek: now £20K :cool:
    Debt Free - 2015 (or before with some effort) :T
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No. 319 :D
  • Kudox
    Kudox Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Hey all, just been catching up without about 10 pages of posts, wow this thread moves quickly these days.
    I've finally decided to take over my DMP from cccs and do it myself.:eek: I've been umming and aahing for ages now and have decided I need to have more control over things than I have the moment.
    Don't get me wrong cccs have been a godsend but I'm much more confident than when I first started and now feel able to deal with my creditors by myself.
    I want to have more control on how much I pay each one, for instance I pay one company £30 odd a month and they are currently adding about £200 in interest and charges:mad: so the way I see it that could get distributed amonst the others that aren't adding interest.
    I know cccs aren't happy about that but it's my money and I feel as if I may as well chuck it away as to carry on giving it that company.
    Anyhow we'll see how it goes, wish me luck :rolleyes:
    Good to see so many people on here supporting each other:j:j
    Keep strong everyone.
    DMP Support Thread Member 238 :D
    DMP started October 2008
  • ianmak
    ianmak Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    RachM wrote: »
    Hi

Can I have a number too :D

Think I'm going to be around for a while ;)

Ok, last one for the night...

RachM 319
    DMP mutual support thread No: 243
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills