DMP Mutual Support Thread (Part 6)

Options

Comments

• Yippee31
    Yippee31 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Eupho, would be brill to fast forward 6 weeks but I am sure I will be just fine and dandy. I haaaaaaaaaaaaaate having to tell people when relationships are over. Might just do a mailshot to everyone on my crimbo card list lol.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    newlywed wrote: »
    Just a little update about my reduced DMP payment for this month (been on DMP 2 years).....

Rang mint credit card - they didn't want a reason, they said as long as they get some sort of payment from CCCS then it is fine - and all should carry on after that with no problem. So yeah - they really don't care ;)

Got mint loans and cl finance to ring. Secure messaged First direct as they were the stroppy ones previously :rolleyes:

Mint loans were fine (other than wanting to know my bank details of the bank I had when I set up the loan - er it's closed coz of the DMP!) they didn't ask any reason for reduced payment.

CL finance wanted to know the reason so I told them. And they wanted to know the exact payment I was going to make - which I don't know coz CCCS work it all out pro rata :rolleyes: Anyway, they've noted on my account it's a one-off.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Yippee31
    Options
    Arrrr newlywed! Member number 32!!! Blimey!! Have you got any advice for someone starting out on a DMP?
  • newlywed
    Options
    Yippee31 wrote: »
    Arrrr newlywed! Member number 32!!! Blimey!! Have you got any advice for someone starting out on a DMP?

Yeah I feel a bit like an old git sometimes ;) It's just over two years so shows how much this thread has grown.

The first payment you make to your DMP you will feel about 20stone lighter, like a huge weight has been lifted, and it'll be a huge relief.

Basically, go with the flow a little. It usually takes a few months for them to stop interest and charges. That does mean that for a few months your debt goes up (as they are charging interest and you are paying less) so just be prepared for that.

After 4 months all mine had accepted and that's when the debt started to drop.

It's not an easy road on a DMP as you do have to learn to budget :o (still learning :rolleyes:) and save for things like MOT etc. But if you get stuck CCCS are lovely and don't seem to mind if you sob down the phone :o ah-hem.

Your DMP payment isn't set in stone so if you're struggling to pay bills and sure it's not that you're spending on stupid things - then ask CCCS for a review. They do them after your first few months, and then yearly after that, but you can ask for a review any time.

And my only single regret about my DMP.... is that I didn't cut up the credit cards and do it earlier - years earlier :rolleyes:
  • newlywed
    edited 9 June 2009 at 3:10PM
    Options
    Oh... and if the creditors threaten stuff - like defaults etc - don't get in a panic - come on here and ask if what they say is true ;)

A Default is ok - it's just a black mark on an already mucky credit rating. And the sooner it comes the better as it stays for 6 years from the date of the default (not the date you finish paying ;)). It also often means they will stop interest and charges too :D
  • Yippee31
    Options
    Thanks newlywed. I think I am going to have to get a petty cash tin and just do everything in cash, I can't be trusted with plastic! I have already sobbed to CCCS once lol! Might have that as my signature - how many times I have called them/ how many times I have sobbed! So far 1/1!!!
  • Yippee31
    Options
    newlywed wrote: »
    Oh... and if the creditors threaten stuff - like defaults etc - don't get in a panic - come on here and ask if what they say is true ;)

They can't just send bailiffs in - they need a CCJ first.A Default is ok - it's just a black mark on an already mucky credit rating. And the sooner it comes the better as it stays for 6 years from the date of the default (not the date you finish paying ;)). It also often means they will stop interest and charges too :D

Soooooooooo, if I am going to be on a DMP for 8 years and the defaults last 6 years then when I finish the DMP everything will be normal and boring? I am NEVER going to get into debt again but I do worry about things like telephone/ broadband people and landlords credit checking me.
  • newlywed
    Options
    Yeah I've only done it once - but I set up the DMP online as I knew I'd do it to start with, so managed to last a year before I sobbed on the phone :rolleyes:
  • newlywed
    edited 9 June 2009 at 3:17PM
    Options
    Yippee31 wrote: »
    Soooooooooo, if I am going to be on a DMP for 8 years and the defaults last 6 years then when I finish the DMP everything will be normal and boring? I am NEVER going to get into debt again but I do worry about things like telephone/ broadband people and landlords credit checking me.

If they all default you at the start then, pretty much yes.

Having said that though - not all defaulted me.

So Mint loan and credit card - 2 defaults - should clear off my report about 1 year after I finish paying.

First Direct - still charging 1% above base rate interest - but credit report is squeaky clean looking. They could still default me later if they wanted to - though unlikely if I carry on paying.

CL finance - noted as Arrangement to pay - DMP and a late marker for every single month since. I'm a guessing that's going to carry on till I pay it all off, and therefore show up for 6 years after that - but it's still not as bad as showing as an IVA or bankruptcy. They could still default me later if they wanted to.
  • newlywed
    Options
    Since the start of the DMP I have made a one-off reduced payment (after about a year) for MOT costs.

Then about 6 months later asked for a review and reduced my DMP payments (due to costs, bills etc rising and wages staying the same).

All of that has been fine - one slight grumble from First Direct but they soon shut up when I said go on default me and stop all interest then :p.

I'm just making another one-off reduced payment this month and will see how that one goes.

A DMP is meant to allow you enough money to live - although not in luxury - and pay your bills. The remainder goes to your debts. That's the order it should come in. Though obviously the more you pay, the quicker to pay it all off ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure