Selling Books on Green Metropolis Discussion (Merged)

Options

Comments

• katchambers
    katchambers Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Robin you are a star! I have emailed them, hopefully they will correct it for me and refund my customer.

Thanks
    Kat x
    My darling boy born December 2011

• robin123_2
    robin123_2 Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    They say that it usually take 48 hours for them to respond so you may not get a reply tomorrow but they will get around to it.

They should have an option for you to refund buyers yourself, IMO.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,244 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm going through my greenmet listings and I was wondering if they have changed the way they display the books?

I was going through the 'find a book' tab and it shows just one seller, but with an indication that there are 5+ more copies but it will only let you see the next copy. I can't see any way of seeing all copies, but I don't remember it always being that way, or am I imagining things?

If they do only display 2 copies then it doesn't seem worth listing books where there are many copies as no one will ever get to see your copy.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • davery83
    davery83 Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From what I remember, they only offer one copy of each book on a first listed - first sold basis.

I'll see if I can find where I read this.
  • davery83
    davery83 Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve listed books for sale, but they don’t appear to be displaying?
    Our system is designed to encourage members to recycle their books therefore our system works by listing and selling books in the order in which they were listed for sale. This means for a particular book, the first copy to be listed, will be the first to be displayed for sale and the first sold, then the second copy listed etc. This is to ensure when members are browsing books for sale, they're not simply shown 3 or 4 copies of the same book for sale. We hope you agree it is also the fairest system to ensure all books are equally recycled. Occasionally you may see a number of copies of what appears to be the same book, but in all cases, this will be a result of different versions of the book and therefore different isbn's. We hope you agree this is the fairest system to ensure all books are equally recycled.

From here: http://www.greenmetropolis.com/help/faq.asp
  • ayla261
    ayla261 Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    hi all, is so good to know a few more people now know about this wonderful site and my personal thanks to everyone whos listed or bought from it :beer:
    Also wanted to let you all know that i am now £174 in profit from selling my old reads on there (all safely held in the computer till xmas), i've also bought all three novels by sally vickers in the past fortnight as they were so cheap i could afford to read all three for the price of one, and now they've been relisted for someonelse to enjoy :D
    p.s i am still using recycled envelopes and packing, all of which have been recieved free via ebay sellers or from freebie marketing items :rotfl:
    i always wanted my own bookshop
    This time next year Rodney... :D
  • sheng719
    sheng719 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya all!!! I have been trying to sell some books at gree metropolis for the past 6 months...so far, I have only sold three which is not bad (better than nothing..). Is there anyone out there who can give me tips of what books sells very well in green metropolis? All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2012 #1502:)

Debt free by 2014, hopefully earlier...:T
  • katchambers
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi sheng,

It would be hard, if not impossible to say which ones sell best, but if you are selling a popular fiction book such as the da vinci code (for example) you may find you won't sell it for a really long time like 6 months or so, this is because GM compiles a list of everyone who is selling that book in order they listed it and they only have 2 listed on the site at the time, not every single sellers copy and therefore it will take time to get round to your one.

So I have actually found that quite obscure and old books sell. So far I have sold:

- Henry the holiday pony (a childs book)
    - Floodgate (a book from the 1970s)
    - An absence of light by David Lindsey
    - Thatcher for beginners
    - Halloween party - agatha christie
    - Frankenstein - mary shelley
    - A geography teachers workbook

They should give you an idea, maybe if other people list some of the books they have sold it will help, but I really think it would be hard to say.

Kat x

p.s I sold 2 books on GM last week - pretty amazed I was!!

• ayla261
    ayla261 Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, i also find textbooks/study aids go well, and auto/biographies

:o not gloating but am proud to have sold 9 on there this week :D

Another way, ( and i admit it is time consuming) is to scour the wish list and see if you have any of the titles wanted, as soon as you list an email is sent to the person wanting that title and they normally go within a day or too of listing
    This time next year Rodney... :D
  • katchambers
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wow ayla - 9 in one week is alot for GM - how many do you have listed on there? Do you often add extra for postage when it comes up or not?

I am about to list a whole lot more in the hopes of increasing my sales, I have hundreds of fiction books from a pallet of books I bought that won't sell on amazon.

Kat x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family