PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    A quick update as I needed to buy more salad for tonights meal. It was supposed to be pasta bake but I'm doing pasta salad instead as its too hot for the oven to be on ;) Found a lovely new greengrocers in the middle of town :confused: and went to see what it was like as I didn't want to trail to the market. I got half a cucumber, a bag of plums, a bunch of radish, 4 big tomatoes, 2 peppers & celery for £4.15 :T I'm very pleased. The lettuce will come from the garden as there's enough sprouting through for a meal now - at last! It's my first big shop of June tomorrow but I already have the menu plan & shopping list done so hopefully I won't be too swayed by any tempting offers :o
  • AuntieH
    AuntieH Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 June 2009 at 2:08PM
    Options
    Hello can you put me down for £300 for June, thought I had already added my target but must have forgot.
    I'm on £80.84 already so need to make much more effort. We did buy lots of meat packs at Costco though, that eats up the budget.:mad:

Good luck for this month everyone!
    Home is the nicest word there is- Laura Ingalls Wilder
    Mortgage Dec23 £97,696 Overpayments: Dec23 £500
    Previous wins: Caribbean Cruise, £500, holiday to Nimes, TV and surround sound system, loch ness trip, flash, cot, trip to ITV studios, ipad.
    Wins 2024:
    £509.19/£2024
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Phoolgrrrl Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    We also ended up havin salad last night - was meant to be chicken and new pots but ended up makin the pots in salad and havin everything cold! Not wasted tho, salad for luch today! My list of stuff I needed was pretty small so I used some GC money this week to stock up on things on offer, so £17 spent at tesco last night. Will need 1 more chicken this month and then just fruit, bread, milk and ham hopfeully!Really need to properly go through freezer and cupboards. Thats this weekend's project :)
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    Options
    Sugar is 80p per kilo in my local Iceland. Cheapest Ive seen it of late.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • merzal
    merzal Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Spent £23.99 yday in Tescos and £1 on eggs over the weekend so that's a hird of the budget gone! Have got 3 £5 Morrisons vouchers so 2 will go on groceries and the other one I'll use to stock up on toilet rolls and wine! I will not spend anymore till the weekend!
    [STRIKE]CC1: £354.35 / £354.35[/STRIKE]
    CC2: £390 / £1475.98
    Boiler: £1500 / £2500
    [STRIKE]Overdraft: £1000 / £1000[/STRIKE]
    Emergency Fund : £20
  • Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Hello All

Ended up at least £21 overbudget last month - was naughtly & didnt keep recpts for the last week!

Have decided to increase this month & see how we go, so can I be put down for £400 this month please.

Have had a Tesco delv today & been to Makro to stock up on toilet roll so will go and update sig now.
    x

Xspender - no its not too late at all for your lettuce.
  • njk0327
    njk0327 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    My local news agent had the same sugar in as the £ shop but only 1kg which is slightly cheaper but wont be on for very long. So i'll be stocking up on the £ shop stuff too.
    Had to nip out for yet more milk, i only got 2ltrs yesterday and there was about 1pt left this morning:eek:.
    So another £1.35 for me today, i know i could have gotten it cheaper but it would have meant going in a supermarket. :rolleyes:
    It's curry for tea tonight got it simmering away in the slow cooker, it's not really good for this weather but it was either that or pie or stew so the curry won.
    The washing gloop works! and after much discussion my OH said he would let me use it as long as i bought more expensive soap than the 3 for 13p ones.
    Just looks like i will have to mix it all together in one big tub, he'll never notice, lol.
    Total Debt 10/5/2009, £2189.10, 1/6/09 £1420.75
    1/7/09 £1661.66, after 2 holidays 1/9/09 £1725.36
    1/11/09 £1188.89
  • Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    njk0327 wrote: »
    The washing gloop works! and after much discussion my OH said he would let me use it as long as i bought more expensive soap than the 3 for 13p ones.
    Just looks like i will have to mix it all together in one big tub, he'll never notice, lol.

What's washing gloop? I've seen it mentioned a few times now.
    I use those washer-balls from the ecoball company - I'm still not sure about them, anybody else use them?
    They were £30 and are supposed to last 1000 washes!
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • njk0327
    njk0327 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    The link to it is on the first page, though i found i needed a little bit more water than mentioned but the 3 soaps for 13p from tesco make up about 4 litres of washing goop.
    No more wash powder yay:T
    Total Debt 10/5/2009, £2189.10, 1/6/09 £1420.75
    1/7/09 £1661.66, after 2 holidays 1/9/09 £1725.36
    1/11/09 £1188.89
  • slowandsteady_2
    Options
    My goodness this is so hard! Think i should have had a practice run last month. Had already withdrawn my £200 and put in the pot and am keeping reciepts but have used some of my 'spending money' to pick a couple of bits up when i went to market today.
    Spent £23.48 in MrT last night, however cashed in a tenner i won on lottery so did use it to buy a few beers, also got some salad in that shop and got a 1.8kg gammon joint reduced frm £12 odd, to £3.69! Very pleased, its in slow cooker now and should last a few days. And on of my salad bags was just 30p instead af a pound, so not a bad job.
    Am keeping all receipts and really trying but dont mind too much if go over as i didnt realise how hard it was gonna be, so am taking it seriously but also using it as a practice month too iykwim.
    Unfortunately just been signed off sick from work today for 4 weeks, so hopefully shouldnt spend too much now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure