PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    puss14 wrote: »
    I so want to come in on budget this month. It is the lowest budget I've ever posted and I haven't been that great with other ones. I am NOT using our CCs. Ive done a 9day meal plan to see us thru till the 11th, so we can avoid the shops.
    Wed 3rd- Hamburgers- need to use up lettuce and bread(no room in freezer)
    Thur 4th- snags, mushrooms, steamed veg and mashed spud( cook extra spud)
    Fri- Sheperds pie and salad
    Sat- as above(leftovers)
    Sun- curried potato, red capsicum, zucchini with rice
    Mon 8th- Beef and vegie stirfry
    Tues- vegetarian nachos
    Wed Roast chook and vegies and gravy
    Thurs- Satay chicken stirfrywith rice and make up stock.
    There is a meal planning thread every week on the OS board, you might want to post this there ?
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Been shopping so updating my signature. It's going ok so far as I'd budgetted £95 a week and it's just come in at that :T Got a huge (100) wash of washing powder at Netto for £8.99 so very pleased at that it should last me the month at least, even with the amount of washing my kids create :rolleyes:
  • poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I spent 89 pence yesterday on a huge bag of onions. I found when I saw the bank staement that DH has been to the co-op and spent £12 one day and £13 another day. I asked him what on andhe said pies and pasties and biscuits and cakes because he is hungry doing manual work.

So yesterday I made a batch of 10 pasties and a huge fruit loaf in the hope that he stops spending! I guess that means I have another £25 to deduct from my grocery budget for this month because of DHs purchases.Grrrr At this rate we won't have enough for the month.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Money_Fritter
    Money_Fritter Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

Can you put me down for £80.83 for June please.

Thanks

I have already started as I get paid on the 25th of every month.

I will update my signature as I go along

Thanks

Money Fritter
    DFW#972 LBM2 (09/07/12) £25938.84; Current £23783.35;
    Credit Credit Card1 £128.47/£6424.24 (2%);
    Credit Card2 £443.86/£15663.25 (2.8%); Overdraft £0/£2500 (0%)
  • fallen_angel_shelley
    Options
    I think I have some sort of addiction to food shopping, I have a freezer thats over flowing and the cupboards are jam packed but I still keep buying more food. just updated my sig with the £17.92p I have managed to spend so far on stuff I really didn't need.
    Back on MSE again! to take control of my finances and not let it control me. :T May grocery challenge £41.96/140
  • mouche
    mouche Posts: 902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Asda delivery came yesterday - £22.10 for a bunch of bits and pieces. My freezer is overflowing now so I hope I won't need anything else except possibly fruit and milk till the end of next week. Must pay Aldi a visit and see what those cheap cherries are like.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ £102,500 (07/11/2019)
    2019 Challenges: Make £300 a month: £9.71/£300 (January)
  • sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think I have some sort of addiction to food shopping, I have a freezer thats over flowing and the cupboards are jam packed but I still keep buying more food.

I know how you feel. Just been to Mr T to get a couple of bits for dinners this week that were short-dated, so they were things I needed, but also bought a pack of cheese oatcakes as they were on offer, which I didn't really need as such. Will go and add the £7.19 on now.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
  • inamess200
    inamess200 Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    Ok so have fallen off the gc wagon big style each month i overspent i toped up from my small savings pot however this month that is all gone so no huge spends for me !! I have set June at £200 - hope its not too late to rejoin - needs must and i think it will have to be at that level for July as well as I have my holiday to pay for (thats what saving fund was for - always meant to put it back!!!)

Meal planning starts today and so far i have spent £35 and have enough to feed us all for a few days without any unplanned visits to the local and v. expensive shops.
  • karenccs67
    karenccs67 Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    I spent 89 pence yesterday on a huge bag of onions. I found when I saw the bank staement that DH has been to the co-op and spent £12 one day and £13 another day. I asked him what on andhe said pies and pasties and biscuits and cakes because he is hungry doing manual work.

So yesterday I made a batch of 10 pasties and a huge fruit loaf in the hope that he stops spending! I guess that means I have another £25 to deduct from my grocery budget for this month because of DHs purchases.Grrrr At this rate we won't have enough for the month.

I understand what you mean, my OH wants "munchies" all the time and I'm trying to cut back on junk treats, I'm thinking of baking some cakes, hope they satisfy his cravings.
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, after posting yesterday about not needing anything else i went to town. Bad idea ended up popping in the butchers and then sainsburys grrr.

In Boots the shaving cream was on offer so bought 3 for 2 on nivea shaving gel for OH, so that should last him a couple of months.

Butchers:-

Bought a beef meat pack for £9.99 (reduced from £19.99)
    Large gammon joint for £6.87 (going to chop it in half or thirds for more meals and sandwiches)

Sainsburys

They had a few a offers in the frozen isle so jumped at them.
    frozen seafood selection x 2 @ 98p (were £2.94)
    frozen scallops x 2 @69p (were £2.70)
    1.81kg garden peas x 2 @ 68p (were 2.10) (so way cheaper than basics)
    so get yourselves they for some really good seafood.
    fresh sausages x 2 were @ £1.74 (were £2.59)

So the above should last us the month fingers crossed.
    Ended up buying the things i needed like bread and plain flour, yeast, lettuse, tea bags, margerine etc Oh and bought non-bio washing powder reduced for £4.99 to £3.04 and 3for 2 on bread buns.
    I now just have to keep away from all food shops so i can stop spending.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure