Healthcare cashplans 2009 discussion

edited 22 February at 10:42AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
120 replies 45.9K views

Replies

• Callie22Callie22 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    PeteW wrote: »
    The Beneden plan looks great, and I was all set to apply but then it looks like you can only take out their cash plan if you've already got their healthcare cover - is that right?

Yes, you need to be a member before you can take out the plan. I think that their membership criteria have recently changed and now anyone can join.
  • PeteWPeteW Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes it looks like I can join but it'd be an extra £6.50 a month for something I don't want. It was only the cashplan I was after.
  • My dentist has advised me to have a crown on one of my teeth costing £209 if I go with the NHS option of £350 odd if I go private. She said it wasn't urgent and to make an appointment when I felt I could afford it.

However, I'm thinking of making an appointment then taking out Medicash's £36 a month plan, claiming pretty much straight away then cancelling the cash plan having paid only 1 or 2 of the £36 payments.

There doesn't seem to be anything stopping me doing this - pre-existing conditions are covered and there's no waiting period before claiming.

Am I missing something? Seems to good to be true!

If the cost is more than the £230 maximum claim I presume they still pay the £230?

https://www.medicash.org/personal-health-plan/get-a-quote.aspx
  • Says you cannot claim for pre-existing conditions. You may be willing to bend the facts but what if your dentist has to confirm it?
  • ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    10K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    phiwinuk wrote: »
    Says you cannot claim for pre-existing conditions. You may be willing to bend the facts but what if your dentist has to confirm it?

Which we usually would have to do, especially on a first claim.

To be caught falsifying a claim for the dentist would be catastrophic for his/her career, so don't expect any help there!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • phiwinuk wrote: »
    Says you cannot claim for pre-existing conditions. You may be willing to bend the facts but what if your dentist has to confirm it?

Where does it say that??

As far as I can tell pre-existing conditions are only excluded for hospital claims.
  • Any other comments? Feel there must be a flaw in this plan but can't see it!
  • j.e.j.j.e.j. Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    I've an inkling you may end up paying more, if the insurance company were to refuse to reimburse you. You'd have to pay the money for the dental treatment upfront, and then try and claim it back from the insurance, for which you'd be paying an additional £36 per month.

someone correct me if I've got it wrong!
  • I have one of the old Medicash plans that refunds 100% of everything. I'd like to upgrade my plan, but the new ones don't cover everything. I was thinking of taking out a second plan with them and using both of them (not at the same time). Nothing in the below T&Cs seem to prohibit it, as long as I don't try and and claim twice.
    5.10 If your claim is also covered by another insurance policy, we will not pay more than our proportionate share, which cannot be more than the total cost of the treatment or receipt.

When you make a claim you must tell us about any other cover you have, and you must give us permission to contact the other insurance company.

5.11 If you have more than one insurance policy with us or another insurer, you cannot claim for more than 100% of the cost of your treatment.
  • zurpherzurpher Forumite
    102 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It sounds as if you almost always would have to claim against both plans unless one of the exclusions of the new plan come into effect. I would definitely double-check with Medicash directly.