Healthcare cashplans 2009 discussion

edited 22 February at 10:42AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
120 replies 45.9K views

Replies

• Martin/MSE - Any chance of this article and discussion being updated? Seems a lot of the companies have changed their games and prices and in these times, these plans may be of use for a great number of people.

I for one would like to know more as I used to be a member of the old HSA plans (now Simply Health), but looking at the costs and the possible rewards, I am not sure it would be of financial benefit to be a member again, although it would have some peace of mind.

It is also extremely difficult to work out the financial benefits based on likely costs during any given year - can MSE make a calculator for us, please?! We can enter likely use, plan costs and the calculator assesses whether it would be to your financial advantage....?

And on a personal level, is anyone with Simply Health? Recommended others? Would be for myself, my wife and one child under 16.
  • PeteWPeteW Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've contacted MSE and asked for an update as the current article is woefully out of date and is something most people don't know they could save money on. I suggest more people do so any we might see some action.
  • millsmummillsmum Forumite
    216 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have just been trying to get my head round this. can anyone tell me if they think its worth me taking out a policy. I can't seem to get the figures to work!

I pay out £19.54 per month for denplan
    I now have to pay for the kids check ups at £21 each per 6 months (2 kids)
    I pay for prescriptions and I am on a constant repeat every 2 months
    I also have a husband who pays for his check ups at £32 and hygenist at £51.

all the policies seem to have a cap on the amount per year unless you pay ££££
  • ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    10K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A lot of cash plans don't like paying for other 'agreements' like Denplan. There are sometimes ways around that if your dentist is cooperative and is prepared to push patient confidentiality to the limit if the cash plan company starts making enquiries - but often if a company finds out that your payments are made by a monthly DD, they will look on it as another 'insurance' (Which technically it isn't) and will refuse hat part of he claim

The rest of it will be eligible though.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • millsmummillsmum Forumite
    216 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    i was thinking of getting rid of my denplan and maybe replacing it with a cash back policy. but since a check up and visit to the hygenist is over £80 I can't see a how it will work out best
  • atruefakeratruefaker Forumite
    126 Posts
    Hi

I've been looking around as I pay £15 alone on my dental plan with Tesco!

Hope this helps:
    I found this company, I thought it was for only over 50s but it is for anyone 17-69.

It is £14p/m and if you work out the score it is 4.01 (675/168) on the deluxe plan, or 3.75 on the everyday £10 plan (450/120).

Link here: http://www.engagemutual.com/products/health-cash-plan/cover-levels/

Anyone else found any better?
  • atruefaker wrote: »
    Hi

I've been looking around as I pay £15 alone on my dental plan with Tesco!

Hope this helps:
    I found this company, I thought it was for only over 50s but it is for anyone 17-69.

It is £14p/m and if you work out the score it is 4.01 (675/168) on the deluxe plan, or 3.75 on the everyday £10 plan (450/120).

Link here: http://www.engagemutual.com/products/health-cash-plan/cover-levels/

Anyone else found any better?

Thanks, I've been shopping around for a couple of hours now, for a cash plan that offers the best value for optical and dental treatment, and Engage Mutual actually won hands down. They offer 100% cash back on dental and optical treatments, (up to £200 each) for paying in £18 a month (totaling £216 a year). Since I already know I need contact lenses for astigmatism, and I'll also be needing dental work to be carried out, this could save me quite a lot.

None of the other companies come close, from what I've found so far. :money:
  • digpdigp Forumite
    2K Posts
    Would welcome recommendations for a good alternatives to BHSF BUT must have a 24/7 GP helpline.

Found one using google: https://www.benenden.co.uk/healthcare-membership/personal-healthcare/

Would welcome views on benenden.

Thanks.
  • I've been with "UK Healthcare" now for a number of years (previously Bolton Hospital Saturday) switching from SimplyHealth back in 2010, however not many mentions at all on any forums.. I've always had good value and service from them and think the rates are quite high but just wondered whether people thought i was getting value for money??

All of the benefits are 100% cash back and my kids are covered completely free. I think there is nornally a 12 week qualifying period but sometimes they offer immediate benefit.

Any thoughts????