Healthcare cashplans 2009 discussion

167891012»

Comments

• Can anyone advise on a good plan for someone with no requirement for optical or family cover please? I really only need dental and physio and would like a policy which pays 100% of both or at least a good contribution (75%+) toward physio and 100% dental.

Thanks in advance.
  • Not sure if anyone’s around on here anymore but we’re looking for a Family policy to cover routine dental, optical and at least 75% therapies (specifically sports massage and physio). So far BHSF premier plan is looking the best but wondering if anyone can recommend a good plan offering decent cover for a family.
  • Original receipts and only one claim. That’s to stop fraud.
  • Alexjl wrote: »
    A lot of these plans pay out to cover opticians and dentists (a service I use twice yearly so would definitely claim back every year.) If I was registered with 4 plans could I claim 4 times for my dentist and optician bills (once on each plan) all of which equal higher than my premiums on each plan, therefore I would be profiting on each plan each year? (Is this legal or fraud? I don't want to do anything illegal.) Would I need to supply original receipts, not copies.

Original receipts one claim only or you would be committing fraud.
  • Hey all,
    I couldn't really find an exactly relevant thread but wanted to throw this question out there: Not sure if there's an expert here that has experience on this but basically, looking into 2019, I'm looking at increasing prescription/non-prescription med costs and am looking for a way to save. I looked into some online pharmacies for mail order plans because I'm on a handful of chronic meds, all of which are non-psych (a couple are non-prescription, but still more expensive to buy OTC).

Basically looking for ways to save on meds for chronic illness...my premium costs look like they're going up next year.

Thanks!
  • Can I have 2 health cash plans? 1 from work and 1 private?
    Thanks
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,070
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think you can have as many as you like so long as you don't claim on each one for the same thing, as that would be fraud.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Zoobzi37
    Zoobzi37 Posts: 35
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Private healthcare plans are for fit and healthy people. Anyone with health problems are a liability to those people. 
    How many who reach age 65 have zero pre existing health problems?
    Not many.
    These schemes actively discriminate against the very people they are supposed to be helping.
    Yes I know they've found a way around the discrimination laws to get away with these things. 
    I am surprised that Martin Lewis actively supports discrimination by proxy. 
    And there's another term for this kind of so called insurance. 
    It's called queue jumping. 
    The people who need the treatment the most can't afford to queue jump. They are reliant on the NHS. 

• In my experience it is actually a lot more cost effective to just put £5 a week away, than to spend out on one of these policies.

To put this in context, for about 20 years I had a healthcare cash plan, and yes they can work out quite well;  IF YOU USE AT LEAST ENOUGH TREATMENTS EVERY YEAR TO COVER THE COST.  However it can work out an expensive safety blanket if you don't use enough treatments to cover the cost EVERY YEAR. 

By the time I stopped using these, I worked out it was costing me £400 a year to get £180 in benefits.  I think you will agree that is just not value for money.
  • losinj1
    losinj1 Posts: 12
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2022 at 4:26PM
    Zoobzi37 said:
    Private healthcare plans are for fit and healthy people....
    Do you mean to lump in healthcare cash plans (the subject of this discussion), or are you referring to private medical insurance, which is a different thing?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback