Healthcare cashplans 2009 discussion

edited 22 February at 10:42AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
120 replies 45.9K views

Replies

• rafiannarafianna Forumite
    136 Posts
    Another question.
    Many plans offer a family plan that covers the children and both parents in a family.
    If I would take out two separate plans each of which has one parent named, surely the children would then be doubly covered for the same price. For example, one could claim up to twice the standard limit by doing it this way.
  • Rammie67Rammie67 Forumite
    13 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    At least one year I pay to have wax removed from my ears using microsuction. Does anyone know if any healthcare cashplan includes wax removal as a benefit? I have had a look at some of the plans and cannot see any that include ears as a cover benefit.

Ear drops does not work for me and ear syringing does not not seem to last long before they need to syringed again. I was also concerned about repercussions of long term syringing.

Thanks.
  • mcphunnymcphunny Forumite
    4 Posts
    BHSF have just written to me to say they have carried out an audit and found i have been paying the wrong premium since 2005 when i upgraded to include to include my then partner now husband. They are now claiming back all the cashback they have paid out for my husband since 2007 and have asked me to send them a cheque for just under 400 pounds. It's their mistake not mine! Does any one know if they can do that?
  • korukoru Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mcphunny wrote: »
    BHSF have just written to me to say they have carried out an audit and found i have been paying the wrong premium since 2005 when i upgraded to include to include my then partner now husband. They are now claiming back all the cashback they have paid out for my husband since 2007 and have asked me to send them a cheque for just under 400 pounds. It's their mistake not mine! Does any one know if they can do that?
    I doubt it. If you did not realise you should have been paying more and did not commit to pay more, then I would think it is their problem. I would refuse and if they don't back down, suggest referring the matter to the Financial Ombudsman.
    koru
  • mcphunnymcphunny Forumite
    4 Posts
    Thanks - i think i will take your advice.
  • PeteWPeteW Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Anyone have any tips or updates on this? I notice the article hasn't been updated for around 3 years and wonder if any better deals are available?
  • joewajoewa Forumite
    358 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I am with Beneden, they are great. THere are certain criteria you need to fulfill before you can join i.e occupation etc
  • Callie22Callie22 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    joewa wrote: »
    I am with Beneden, they are great. THere are certain criteria you need to fulfill before you can join i.e occupation etc

Bizarrely, I was literally just discussing with OH whether we should join the Benenden Cashback plan. I've fairly recently been made a made a member of this through work (and I signed up OH as I think it's a great back-up plan should anything go wrong) but I've been umm-ing and ahh-ing about the cashback plan. Glad to hear that it's worthwhile.
  • HerongullHerongull Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I recently took out a policy with Beneden Cashplan - it seems to be one of the best plans (for those who qualify to join) in terms of value for money.

It has the really useful feature that if you have a joint policy with your partner you share the allowances! This means means that if one of you has (say) a big optical bill one year and the other one has no optical treatment, all the allowance can go toward the one person's optical bill. I think most other policies have separate allowances for couples.

I have cancelled my policy that was underwritten by BHSF - the fact that the benefit years are not aligned with the payment years - see one of the earlier posts - makes a big difference to when you can claim and thus really reduces the value of the policy.

This shows that finer details in the policy can be as important as the yearly payment allowances.
  • PeteWPeteW Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The Beneden plan looks great, and I was all set to apply but then it looks like you can only take out their cash plan if you've already got their healthcare cover - is that right?