Healthcare cashplans 2009 discussion

Comments

• tanyavt
    tanyavt Posts: 19
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you very much Jessicamb. You said there were policies which cover 100% homeopathy- do you know which ones they are? It's actually because of the children I am seeing a homeopath- my twins have not been well... I have had one treated and now need the other to be done- but obviously the cost is currently holding me back, so if there is a policy out there that will pay out for them, then that's the one I want/need!
    Thanks,
    tanyavt
  • No1Joker
    No1Joker Posts: 197
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would strongly recommend you consider Medicash over BHSF.

Medicash runs a standard 12 month policy, BHSF run a more complicated contract which is not in your favour.

Medicash cover your children to a certain %
    Medicash pay 100% on Homeopathy too

I am disappointed Martin and his team haven't re-evaluated their picks and dug a little deeper into the matter rather than just run some number thru a spreadsheet (which is what he does most of time time TBH) most recent example is Post Office 7.9% tut tut
    NO RAIN - NO RAINBOWS

When did i stop being able to fit Hoola-Hoops over my fingers? :huh::think:
  • Already with BHSF as part of a corporate agreement which isn't too bad (get 75% back on claim) so haven't checked if it is 50% for others.

Have decided to look at other two MoneySavingExpert has looked at and have to agree you do have to look at this closer as the stats don't seem to add up (or at least now they don't) so needs a refresh on the webpage.

I was confused as Sovereign has a 50% claim back, after reading this I looked at Mediplan and theirs seem a hell of alot better 100%* (couldn't find exactly where that * reference was mind!).

Summary: Mediplan better for my wife!
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,492
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 20 July 2010 at 9:08AM
    They are currently waiving the 6 month qualifying period, so you can join and claim for seeing (say) a physiotherapist the same day.

Edit: Even pre-existing conditions are covered instantly, except maternity and hospital inpatient.
    koru
  • I've been on BHSF for number of years and I believe that there is no qualifying period? Having said that I do it through my work and it is taken of my salary. Had been on other scheme but really happy with this service and won't change.

Di
  • fossman
    fossman Posts: 353
    Forumite
    di67 wrote: »
    I've been on BHSF for number of years and I believe that there is no qualifying period? Having said that I do it through my work and it is taken of my salary. Had been on other scheme but really happy with this service and won't change.

Di

I think workplace BHSF schemes are different to personal ones, I definately had to wait 13 weeks to claim but my mum who works for Asda could claim straight away on hers.

I had some new glasses 12 weeks after starting my BHSF policy, I started filling in the claim form then noticed the 13 weeks waiting period. I went back to the opticians and they cancelled my receipt and gave me a new receipt with a claimable date on! PHEW!
    Cashback earned
    Quidco : £858 :)
    Pigsback : £20 and a Beatles CD.
  • I'm about to join an employer promoted scheme with Simply Health and am amazed at how complicated it is to decide which Level is most effective, based on the assumption, of course, that I put in a claim every time (as noted in the article). I've had to create a table showing the different sets of treatments and use that I anticipate for each, together with the annual cost and payout I could expect.

As each company has different rules I think a seperate calculator is required for each. Interestingly I found that the optimum level was lower than I had anticipated as the extra cost eats up the additional benefit payable.

With reference to previous comments it appears that Simply Health have a single Claiming year regardless of which set of treatments is being considered.

Incidently I asked Simply Health about payroll deductions and they informed me that, of course, it ceases when they leave that employer. For some of these payroll deduction customers the first they realise that their policy has ceased is when they try to claim! However for those paying out of their own bank account the policy continues at the same rate even when they've left that employer.

Robert
  • mapcr77
    mapcr77 Posts: 667
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What would be considered a pre-existing condition? I looked into the cashback plans as I'm spending a fortune in osteopathy. If I join a plan, would they reject my claims on anything related to osteopathy/physio/chiropractic on the grounds that it is a pre-existing condition? Or if I just go to another practitioner (which I want to do anyway), could I claim from them rather than the one I've been seeing? If I'm not covered then it's really no point for me joining... any ideas?
    Thanks!
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446
    Forumite
    mapcr77 wrote: »
    What would be considered a pre-existing condition? I looked into the cashback plans as I'm spending a fortune in osteopathy. If I join a plan, would they reject my claims on anything related to osteopathy/physio/chiropractic on the grounds that it is a pre-existing condition? Or if I just go to another practitioner (which I want to do anyway), could I claim from them rather than the one I've been seeing? If I'm not covered then it's really no point for me joining... any ideas?
    Thanks!

If you are already getting treatment then any claims for the same condition would be considered pre-existing.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,492
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mapcr77 wrote: »
    If I'm not covered then it's really no point for me joining... any ideas?
    Thanks!
    See reply 55.
    koru
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family