Healthcare cashplans 2009 discussion

Options

Comments

• scamplad
    Options
    Alexjl wrote: »
    A lot of these plans pay out to cover opticians and dentists (a service I use twice yearly so would definitely claim back every year.) If I was registered with 4 plans could I claim 4 times for my dentist and optician bills (once on each plan) all of which equal higher than my premiums on each plan, therefore I would be profiting on each plan each year? (Is this legal or fraud? I don't want to do anything illegal.) Would I need to supply original receipts, not copies.
    you can only claim on one plan for each treatment though i think you can have more than one plan if they offer different benefits. you need to supply original receipts which are not returned and to claim from more than one for one treatment would be illegal.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Im struggling to work out if these plans are worth having or not
    I would be looking for cover for 2 adults and 2 children,
    Both adults wear glasses, so have an eye test (approx 10-£25 each every 2years) and probably each spend £250 on glasses every 2years so £550 max on optical care every 2years
    Both have NHS dental check ups at least every year and havnt needed anywork dental work for a good few years
    so mainly looking for a policy that would pick up cost of optical care, is there a plan that would pay out more than we pay in?
    sorry to ask but my head is starting to spin looking at all these plans
  • silverjill0_2
    Options
    grecians wrote: »
    I have a policy with WPA, only one month qualifying period. Also one can get cover for Cancer Drugs, cover abroad and cosmetic surgery - seems to offer quite a bit more than most cash plans although WPA did not get a good listing!

I am looking for cover abroad as I am away a lot- who are WPA?
    Thanks
  • silverjill0_2
    Options
    I am looking for cover abroad as I am away a lot- who are WPA? or are there many others who provide this type of cover?
  • single_lonely
    Options
    hi, were planning to have another child in the next few months.
    which plan gives the most back when the child is born
    (i dont mind paying more for 12 months if i get a better return,
    i will reduce after ive claimed though)

anyone help?

thanks
  • No1Joker
    No1Joker Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 August 2009 at 11:50AM
    Options
    hi, were planning to have another child in the next few months.
    which plan gives the most back when the child is born
    (i dont mind paying more for 12 months if i get a better return,
    i will reduce after ive claimed though)

anyone help?

thanks

http://www.medicash.org/healthcare/Quote.aspx

The Platinum Plus pays £1500 for a £39/m solo plan

You have to be with them for a year though. So start "trying" after 4 months
    NO RAIN - NO RAINBOWS

When did i stop being able to fit Hoola-Hoops over my fingers? :huh::think:
  • No1Joker
    No1Joker Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Before anyone jumps into a plan with BHSF you must be aware of how their "benefit year" works. It is not a simple 12 months.

Firstly there is a 13 week No-Claim period, then your 12 month enetitlement doesn't start until you claim the 1st time for each element. The the next year doesn't start until you claim again. So for example,

You apply on 1st January 2009.
    13 Week No Claim period until 2 April 2009
    First Dental receipt sent on the 6th May 2009 which uses the whole entitlement
    First Optical receipt sent on the 9th June 2009

Your Dental enetitlement begins again on 6th May 2010 NOT 1st Jan or 2nd April and that subsequent year only starts when you claim again. So you have to claim on the 6th may else you're not getting the full benefit in a 12 month period.
    BUT ... that doesn't mean you Optical begin again on the 6th May, that is delayed until 9th June 2010 because it is based on the first recipt again. Same with all the other benefits.

This is from HERE
    Benefit Year Each individual benefit type e.g. dental, therapies,
    etc. has its own separate Benefit Year which is 12
    calendar months from:
    1 the first date of admission for hospital inpatient,
    hospital day case surgery or hospital
    parental stay for which benefit is claimed;
    2 the date of the first receipted account for
    charges made for dental, optical, health
    consultation, therapies, health screening
    surgical appliances, hearing aids, home help
    or home nursing benefits;
    3 the date of birth on the birth certificate(s) or
    the date of adoption of a child qualifying for
    maternity benefit.
    Upon the expiry of a Benefit Year the new Benefit
    Year for that benefit type will commence from the
    next claim received in accordance with items 1 -
    3 above.

I wonder whether this has any effect on Martin's Calculations or his decision to "award" them a 1st place gold medal in his article.
    NO RAIN - NO RAINBOWS

• abby77_2
    abby77_2 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Alexjl wrote: »
    A lot of these plans pay out to cover opticians and dentists (a service I use twice yearly so would definitely claim back every year.) If I was registered with 4 plans could I claim 4 times for my dentist and optician bills (once on each plan) all of which equal higher than my premiums on each plan, therefore I would be profiting on each plan each year? (Is this legal or fraud? I don't want to do anything illegal.) Would I need to supply original receipts, not copies.
    Hi Alex- you wouldn't really be able to do this. Most companies would consider this to be "betterment" and they could prosecute you, so I wouldn't advise. You also need original receipts (not many companies would accept a photocopy). Hope this helps, Abby :A
    Why not follow me on Twitter too? http://twitter.com/icanbebothered
    :money:
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
  • foncused
    Options
    Everybody's medical needs are different, this article really needs a calculator. Plug in your typical annual spend, get back a list of the best plans.
  • No1Joker
    Options
    I totally agree, i think the T&C of some of the companies included with varying rates for optical hospital cover makes the OP article an unhelpful represetation of the products on offer.
    NO RAIN - NO RAINBOWS

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport