REMINDER. You've got until 5pm today to join in our energy-themed Ask An Expert event and post your questions for MSE Gary & MSE Andrew

Healthcare cashplans 2009 discussion

edited 22 February at 10:42AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
120 replies 45.9K views

Replies

• Hi, We have been with Simply Health cash plan for some years, but wondered if these are good value for money. Does anyone have any experience of these, or a better alternative?

Thanks
  • hi there it would be useful for you to outline your monthly premium (single person/couple/family) and benefit levels (100%/75%/50% & annual limits by claim category) to really be able to let you know.

hth
  • Could anyone advise me of where to start looking. Basically I am 57 years old, married with no dependents and in good health. There has been family health issues recently, hence my focus on this topic.
  • Thanks, I've been shopping around for a couple of hours now, for a cash plan that offers the best value for optical and dental treatment, and Engage Mutual actually won hands down. They offer 100% cash back on dental and optical treatments, (up to £200 each) for paying in £18 a month (totaling £216 a year). Since I already know I need contact lenses for astigmatism, and I'll also be needing dental work to be carried out, this could save me quite a lot.

None of the other companies come close, from what I've found so far. :money:

Same here. £14 per month for me so £168 a year. £150 a year on DaySoft contact lenses and a £20 NHS dental checkup each year. Breakeven each year plus cashflow benefits. Any other dental treatment or similar in a year and end up in profit. Good people.
  • gizz_mogizz_mo Forumite
    110 Posts
    Forumite
    RunningMan wrote: »
    My dentist has advised me to have a crown on one of my teeth costing £209 if I go with the NHS option of £350 odd if I go private. She said it wasn't urgent and to make an appointment when I felt I could afford it.

However, I'm thinking of making an appointment then taking out Medicash's £36 a month plan, claiming pretty much straight away then cancelling the cash plan having paid only 1 or 2 of the £36 payments.

There doesn't seem to be anything stopping me doing this - pre-existing conditions are covered and there's no waiting period before claiming.

Am I missing something? Seems to good to be true!

If the cost is more than the £230 maximum claim I presume they still pay the £230?

https://www.medicash.org/personal-health-plan/get-a-quote.aspx

Hey Running Man - how did this work out for you in the end? Did you have any issues with the claim?
  • Thinking of switching from BHSF.

Would welcome suggestions.

A GP helpline would be useful not essential though.

Thanks.
  • Hi All, I just want to let you know about my experience with Medicash...
    I had a policy and was happy until they contacted me in the middle of my policy year to say they were ending my policy as I had claimed too much and its not sustainable for them as a company to have me as a customer anymore. I was on their level 4 plan and had kept within the benefit limits and never missed a payment so clearly the limits they are offering are not real if a customer actually wants to claim.I contacted them and asked why if it unsustainable to their business if the policyholder claims to the limit of a benefit then why offer the benefit limits they do on the policy? And they answered that: "We would not be treating customers fairly if we continued to pay claims for a very small percentage of customers who claim far more than we would expect" However I kept within the claiming limits they set and they offer on the policy, so surely I've paid for a service I didn't receive? So I want to warn everyone about Medicash and be wary about policy limits if you do get a policy with them.
  • korukoru Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi All, I just want to let you know about my experience with Medicash...
    I had a policy and was happy until they contacted me in the middle of my policy year to say they were ending my policy as I had claimed too much and its not sustainable for them as a company to have me as a customer anymore. I was on their level 4 plan and had kept within the benefit limits and never missed a payment so clearly the limits they are offering are not real if a customer actually wants to claim.I contacted them and asked why if it unsustainable to their business if the policyholder claims to the limit of a benefit then why offer the benefit limits they do on the policy? And they answered that: "We would not be treating customers fairly if we continued to pay claims for a very small percentage of customers who claim far more than we would expect" However I kept within the claiming limits they set and they offer on the policy, so surely I've paid for a service I didn't receive? So I want to warn everyone about Medicash and be wary about policy limits if you do get a policy with them.
    Interesting. I must have claimed £2000 each year for the first 3 years I was with them (about 3 times my premium). They never kicked me out. But the last year, they are making a profit on me.
    koru
  • Hi. How did this play out? Did/can you claim for the dame treatment with more than one policy (with different companies) with no repurcussions? I am thinking of doing the same thing and would like some advice. I don't want to commit a crime.
  • Hi All

I've done a lot of looking at cash plans recently as Medicash are no longer competitive and lots are now offering optical/dental over 2 year periods (not 1 year). I found The Exeter was the best around.

I hope this helps someone.